considering dumping 05 for 06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA CYCLE RIDER

Reaction score
I currently own a 05 fjr that may be in pre stages of the dreaded tick. My friend "trimantom" has had his 04 in the local shop going on 8 weeks now without a succesful repair. So here is the question. Has yamaha got this obvious inferior valve guide problem under control. I do not want to go through the major engine work required to silence the tick. However if the 06 models are using the same cheesy guides and other related components as the 05 models I would be an idiot to get on board as an 06 waiter. Does anybody know the real scoop.

I currently own a 05 fjr that may be in pre stages of the dreaded tick. My friend "trimantom" has had his 04 in the local shop going on 8 weeks now without a succesful repair. So here is the question. Has yamaha got this obvious inferior valve guide problem under control. I do not want to go through the major engine work required to silence the tick. However if the 06 models are using the same cheesy guides and other related components as the 05 models I would be an idiot to get on board as an 06 waiter. Does anybody know the real scoop.
No, we have no hard information that the problem has been solved. There are some rumors, but that's it. And we probably won't know for some time and the fleet builds up more hours.

"May be in the pre-stages" sounds like you're being a little paranoid. Unless you're hot to trot on a new bike for other reasons, I'd just ride awhile. It's not like Yamaha is going to stop making these things.

- Mark

pre-stage meant that my bike has 18k on it and has the telltail valve clattering as it rolls through the 2500-3500 rpm range. the noise has become more noticable as each mile is added. Im no mechanic and the bike hasnt been officially diagnosed as having the excessive valve guide clearances but I am closley in touch with another 04 owner who is getting screwed by having his in the shop of a dealer who has barely a clue as to how to get it repaired. The dealer has only had his bike for 8 weeks now. Love the FJR and want to keep a good one around.

I'm not sure your description of valve clatter is the tick or pre stage of the tick. It could be valve clatter typical of the Yamaha Genesis head. Does it sound like steak knives bouncing off each other? Is it more pronounced in cylinder #1? Are you consuming oil?

As for "obvious inferior valve guide problem" that hasn't been confirmed either. It could be valve guides. It could also be valve seals. It could also be something else.

I don't think anybody has seen or cited incontrovertable evidence that it is guides.

I have heard on this board that the valve seals are supposed to be different in '06 and actually let a bit more oil by for lubrication and cooling.

Also, from anecdotal observation it seems there are less tickers as a percentage for each year of production. Supposedly it was perhaps 1 in 7 for '03 and '04 and 1 in 15 for '05.

If the possibility of getting a ticker in '06 consumes you more than an extended warranty doesn't mitigate--then you probably shouldn't put a deposit down. Or you should find another dealer that you feel comfortable with to support you in the small chance you end up with a ticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm no expert on tickers but chips bike sounds like my bike did 10,000 miles ago and mine is in the shop right now.His top end noise will only get worse with time.I understand his frustration because in our part of the country these dealers don't have a clue what's wrong with these bikes.

Yamaha sure as hell hasn't sent there dealers any info that this particular model bike might have this problem.They are basically letting the dealers mechanics wade through the process of figuring out what's wrong.

I took my bike in before thanksgiving and the initial diagnosis was that that's what the fjr sounds like.I told him that it wasn't normal and also told them what was wrong with it and have had a hell of a time getting this bike repaired.

Every week it's something different i won't bore you with all the wonderful details. but I'm really wondering if I'll ever be able to have confidence in this bike again after all this bullshit.

Still curious about the steak-knife sound. You heard the recording of a definite ticker as linked and discussed here?

Hey Ignacio,My bike sounded just like that sound byte.Riding along at 2500 to 3000 rpm's it sounded like someone rappin spoons in the engine.

If I lived in Georgia and a dealer had my bike for "eight weeks" I be looking here

for answers.

This is exactly why I'm not ponying up for an '06. I'm done playing Yamaha's test mule. :bleh:

Hey Ignacio,My bike sounded just like that sound byte.Riding along at 2500 to 3000 rpm's it sounded like someone rappin spoons in the engine.
So the question is still pending for GA CYLCLE RIDER.

For you, I'd do some searching on this forum and take some information to the dealer to educate them....or find another dealer if they're not responsive. They need to want to fix the issue to be any help I think.

Guys the valve guides,seals and exhaust valves have all been replaced.

When they cranked it up it had a rattle to it.I didn't hear it cause i wasn't there but they told me the cam chain tensioner needed to be replaced,they did that last week and I checked on the bike last saturday and they told me that the bike still had the same rattle and yamaha told them to replace the cam chain.Now i'm waiting for that part and who nows whether that will correct the problem.

My question is did they screw something up when they did the initial parts replacement?

Guys the valve guides,seals and exhaust valves have all been replaced.When they cranked it up it had a rattle to it.I didn't hear it cause i wasn't there but they told me the cam chain tensioner needed to be replaced,they did that last week and I checked on the bike last saturday and they told me that the bike still had the same rattle and yamaha told them to replace the cam chain.Now i'm waiting for that part and who nows whether that will correct the problem.

My question is did they screw something up when they did the initial parts replacement?
If indeed it is the cam chain tensioner, it is very easy to diagnose once removed, it either works or it doesn't, simple.

Other than that, it's really difficult to answer these concerns. The only indication from the outside listening in is where the rattle sound is coming from. Even then, without a strip down to check dimensions, you will not know for certain. All I know is, once the work has been done correctly, the motor will be silent and it will run like a champ.

I found myself in a very similar situation to yours, except my original dealer didn't give a rats ass. At least yours is reporting odd sounds back to you. For now, hold tight and give it some time to let things work themselves out. Yes it will test your nerve, as it did mine, but it sounds like your dealer is trying to do the right thing.

After you get it back, if things are not well with your engine, IMO you will have to seek out a 5 star Yamaha dealer like I did. It makes a HUGE difference when you have complete confidence in your mechanic and dealership.

What I hear from a dealer source is that the valves are much, much shorter and therefore easier to control and they feel the problem is solved. Were I you I'd wait for more confirmation, but personally I think they fixed it.

OrangevaleFJR  Posted on Jan 18 2006, 12:15 AM
QUOTE (GA CYCLE RIDER @ Jan 17 2006, 04:34 PM)

Does anybody know the real scoop.

What I hear from a dealer source is that the valves are much, much shorter and therefore easier to control and they feel the problem is solved. Were I you I'd wait for more confirmation, but personally I think they fixed it.
Hmmm, that's interesting? It'd be nice to see a pic of the new valves v/s the old. Shorter valves would require a new head, too.....

Guys the valve guides,seals and exhaust valves have all been replaced.When they cranked it up it had a rattle to it.I didn't hear it cause i wasn't there but they told me the cam chain tensioner needed to be replaced,they did that last week and I checked on the bike last saturday and they told me that the bike still had the same rattle and yamaha told them to replace the cam chain.Now i'm waiting for that part and who nows whether that will correct the problem.

If indeed it is the cam chain tensioner, it is very easy to diagnose once removed, it either works or it doesn't, simple.

Other than that, it's really difficult to answer these concerns. The only indication from the outside listening in is where the rattle sound is coming from. Even then, without a strip down to check dimensions, you will not know for certain. All I know is, once the work has been done correctly, the motor will be silent and it will run like a champ.

I found myself in a very similar situation to yours, except my original dealer didn't give a rats ass. At least yours is reporting odd sounds back to you. For now, hold tight and give it some time to let things work themselves out. Yes it will test your nerve, as it did mine, but it sounds like your dealer is trying to do the right thing.

After you get it back, if things are not well with your engine, IMO you will have to seek out a 5 star Yamaha dealer like I did. It makes a HUGE difference when you have complete confidence in your mechanic and dealership.
Skyway, How did you go about finding a five star Yamaha dealer? Is there a list of them somewhere? I would like to find out what rating my dealer is...

OrangevaleFJR  Posted on Jan 18 2006, 12:15 AM
QUOTE (GA CYCLE RIDER @ Jan 17 2006, 04:34 PM)

Does anybody know the real scoop.

Hmmm, that's interesting? It'd be nice to see a pic of the new valves v/s the old. Shorter valves would require a new head, too.....
I kinda doubt a new head, considered a major redesign. Just doesn't sound legit to me.

Skyway, How did you go about finding a five star Yamaha dealer? Is there a list of them somewhere? I would like to find out what rating my dealer is...
Hey, how, where do you find a FIVE STAR Yamaha dealer? Anyone? :clap:

Best way I know of to find a decent dealer (5 Star or otherwise) is to ask in these forums, stating your location. Someone is likely to pop up with a positive (or negative for that matter) breakdown of those near you. Be prepared to travel-but I would rather go 500 miles for good service than 500 feet for bad. ;)

Best way I know of to find a decent dealer (5 Star or otherwise) is to ask in these forums, stating your location.  Someone is likely to pop up with a positive (or negative for that matter) breakdown of those near you.  Be prepared to travel-but I would rather go 500 miles for good service than 500 feet for bad. ;)
I ended up travelling 400 miles each way to get to mine and well worth it IMO. Not sure how close to them you are, but here is the info.

Yamaha of Cucamonga Inc.