Smuggler paint match

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahlr

Reaction score
For those who bought the Corbin Smuggler, please post with your individual thoughts on the quality of the paint match of your Smuggler to the paint on the FJR. He's having some issues w/ Corbin on this and requested the groups input.

I ordered one on Nov 15 received it Jan 15 and shipped it back Jan 17. It was the wrong color. I begged them to make sure they sent one for a 2003, but it still came wrong. I was very disappointed with the quality. I asked that they not replace it until a representative could see my return and assure me the replacement would be better. The paint and bodywork were really really bad. It looked home-made. The sales person I spoke to after I received the shipment was very friendly and had no problem sending Fed-Ex Ground come pick it back up. I'll let you know if they follow up.

:telephone:

Last edited by a moderator:
yamahlr,

Were you happy with your smuggler? Do you think it was on- par with your bikes stock finish? Have any of the bumpers on the underside fallen off yet? I really expected something as nice as stock. What did you think???

What the hell you guys want for $600? Gawd, I can't believe how picky some people here are.......... :rolleyes:

They are pricey but a neat idea and a nice mod in my opinion.

The two that I have seen were excellent quality. Nice finish and nice fit. Nothing homemade about the ones I've seen. The mounting hardware looked well made and was chromed. Even the brackets underneath were polished and chromed.

I don't think Corbin realizes or knows that an 03 is bright silver.....not the Cerulean silver. They shipped me a Cerulean silver that was ordered for an 03 and then shipped another Cerulean silver as a replacement....duh.... Even their ad shows a Cerulean silver and a Galaxy Blue bike...with no silver 03. The Corbin boxes containing Cerulean silver Smugglers are just labled "silver" indicating that possibly the only "silver" they know of for an FJR is the Cerulean version.

Gary is aware of the mixups with the Cerulean silver being supplied for the 03's. He is mainly interested (I think...) about the color match of the Cerulean silver on 04's that were Cerulean silver....and about the color match of the Corbin Galaxy Blue on those bikes.

jestal,

Did you end up getting the correct color? You didn't say. I do like the design and still want one, but it's gotta look better than the one they sent.

For the most part I thought that it's a nice piece. I had to realign the access door. The muchacho that did it originally probably had too much cerveza that day as it wouldn't even close. The paint match is off on mine for the 04 Cerulean silver, it's too gray, or conversly not enough blue. It's primarily a tinting issue w/ mine but w/ the 03 it's not the right paint formula.

As was stated earlier, not for $600 clams. Maybe Mike Corbin should stick to his business instead of t.v.

jestal,Did you end up getting the correct color? You didn't say. I do like the design and still want one, but it's gotta look better than the one they sent.
No, not yet. Waiting to hear from Gary at University about what Corbin plans on doing and what the source of the mixup was. I honestly do not think Corbin has made any plain 03 silver units yet......

BTW....Gary has gone out of his way to try and straighten this out. Can't say enough good things about his cooperation and followup.

I honestly do not think Corbin has made any plain 03 silver units yet......
How long have you been waiting?

:lazy:
Well....Gary shipped me the first one just before Thanksgiving. I let him know right away that it was the wrong color and he contacted Corbin about the problem and ordered the replacement. I got the replacement the second week in January and it was also the wrong color. Contacted Gary right away. He contacted Corbin right away. It's been about a week now with no more info from them. I'll talk to Gary this week and see what is up. Since the bike is put away for the winter it is no big deal timing wise but the way it is dragging on spring will be here shortly....LOL.

I recieved a smuggler for

christmas and My wife was told it would be the 03 color.

It was not.

However the fit and quality are ok by me. I have installed it and will keep it as it really doesn't look too bad and I want to repaint my bike soon anyway.

The bright silver would be better though as the Corbin web site lists for 03-05

I do like the room though.

I'd be remiss if I also did not echo Jestal's comments about Gary's level of customer service. Most other dealers would undoubtedly say that's the best I can do and be done with it. More dealers (auto included) should adopt his business ethics. If that was done, maybe Ford wouldn't be closing so many plants.

Bought mine for an '05, so color is blue. Perfect match as far as I can see. Just returned from a 2,400 mile round trip, and really liked the ease of use. I modded the Smuggler so that it could be quickly removed and the stock rear seat replaced, but had no problems with my mod coming loose over more than a thousand miles of crappy I-10 construction. As they say, for folks who like this kind of thing, this is the kind of thing they like.

Expensive, but I used the hell out of it at every gas stop to hold ear plugs, cell phone, glasses, camera, gloves, locks, Motrin, etc. etc.

I ordered mine 12th of Dec, got it 25th of Jan. I ordered 05 Galaxy Blue. Perfect match. However, I live in Seattle, so I have not seen it in the sun yet. I installed it using Twilkin650's instructions and am very happy. Fit is pretty good. I did have to loosen the mounting arms since they were about half an inch too wide, but it is fine. It smells like wet paint and there is only one blemish on it. On the bottom, the paint has the pattern of the cloth they shipped it in. But it's on the bottom so not seen, so I'm not worried about it.

I ordered mine 12th of Dec, got it 25th of Jan.  I ordered 05 Galaxy Blue.  Perfect match.  However, I live in Seattle, so I have not seen it in the sun yet.  I installed it using Twilkin650's instructions and am very happy.  Fit is pretty good.  I did have to loosen the mounting arms since they were about half an inch too wide, but it is fine.  It smells like wet paint and there is only one blemish on it.  On the bottom, the paint has the pattern of the cloth they shipped it in.  But it's on the bottom so not seen, so I'm not worried about it.
I say again, what do you expect for only $600? I would expect no blemishes, packing imprints, color matching, dry paint, and correct bracket placement to cost at least $1200. ;)

Got my 03 silver Smuggler from Gary at University this morning and pulled it out of the box to check the color and match. Looks perfect. Corbin finally figured out what color silver an 03 is....LOL.

The paint is excellent and there are no blemishes or anything wrong that I could see. It fits on nicely and looks like it is a Yamaha part. Very nice piece I would say (expensive but nice).

Once again, Gary goes out of his way to make sure things are right from his end at University Motors.

So, jestal......what brand of oil are you going to use on the latch mechanism? ;)

Latest posts