Posting Photos before 2022

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the most common questions from users that have been on the board for a few weeks is How do I publish pictures on this forum?

The answer is involves two major steps and can be a bit tricky for the uninitiated. But press on and ask for help after you'd tried things here first.

[SIZE=14pt]Overall Procedure[/SIZE]

1. Subscribe to a picture hosting site like Photobucket.com. Their service is free and allows you to copy pictures from your computer or camera to a place on the Internet. This is important because of bandwidth and storage limitatations this forum cannot upload or host pictures.

2. Link the picture on this site using the IMG feature where you create messages. That link is going to have an address something like https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/SpikeON/2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_01_tcm46-9114.jpg

When you put it in that link it stops being the long, ugly text and becomes a picture like this:

2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_01_tcm46-9114.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Other Tips[/SIZE]

Figuring out "URL" or "path" to an existing web photo by SkooterG:

Right click on the photo on the other website, then select "Properties". When the properties box comes up, highlight and "copy" the Address (URL) by pressing Ctrl+C.

Back on this website use the IMG icon and "paste" the address by pressing Ctrl+V.

Image Posting Size by Ignacio:

Image pixel size is important when posting on this forum as pictures that are extremely large will not fit on all user's screens. It is suggested your images be 800x600 resolution or close to that.

If you don't want to change each individual picture, there is a good free image resizing program that will do pictures en masse. Try PixResizer

Also important is filesize. Usually expressed in KB or kilobytes it's a good rule of them to keep a .jpg image to 200KB or less. This is more a courtesy for our bandwidth challenged friends that may be using dial-up and don't have fat pipe like DSL, cable modem, or a tolerant boss at work. Part of the success of this board is quick loading of pages. Many times when pages are slow--it's because somebody posted a large picture or sig line.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most common questions from users that have been on the board for a few weeks is How do I publish pictures on this forum?
The answer is involves two major steps and can be a bit tricky for the uninitiated. But press on and ask for help after you'd tried things here first.

[SIZE=36pt]Overall Procedure[/SIZE]

1. Subscribe to a picture hosting site like Photobucket.com. Their service is free and allows you to copy pictures from your computer or camera to a place on the Internet. This is important because of bandwidth and storage limitatations this forum cannot upload or host pictures.

2. Link the picture on this site using the IMG feature where you create messages. That link is going to have an address something like https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/SpikeON/2006_FJR1300AS_Detail_01_tcm46-9114.jpg

When you put it in that link it stops being the long, ugly text and becomes a picture like this:

[SIZE=36pt]Other Tips[/SIZE]

Right click on the photo on the other website, then select "Properties". When the properties box comes up, highlight and "copy" the Address (URL) by pressing Ctrl+C.

Back on this website use the IMG icon and "paste" the address by pressing Ctrl+V.

Image pixel size is important when posting on this forum as pictures that are extremely large will not fit on all user's screens. It is suggested your images be 800x600 resolution or close to that.

If you don't want to change each individual picture, there is a good free image resizing program that will do pictures en masse. Try PixResizer

Also important is filesize. Usually expressed in KB or kilobytes it's a good rule of them to keep a .jpg image to 200KB or less. This is more a courtesy for our bandwidth challenged friends that may be using dial-up and don't have fat pipe like DSL, cable modem, or a tolerant boss at work. Part of the success of this board is quick loading of pages. Many times when pages are slow--it's because somebody posted a large picture or sig line.
Hello,

Trying to link a photo but get this error

Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

Waz that mean?

[guess] Was the image you tried to link to a: BMP; JPG; GIF? These file extensions are the type that the {img} tag is looking for. If it was part of a PDF, Macromedia, WMV, AVI or Flash graphic it won't work. Go back to the offending graphic, position the cursor on the graphic and right click, then click PROPERTIES and see what the graphic ends with such as .JPG [/guess]

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Overall Procedure</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Other Tips</span>

Ignacio... First thanks for the great website. Second, I have new Norton Internet Software that was not letting the picture insert box be viewed until you disabled the software. Just a thought for those that are having touble finding the URL box. Rich

Ignacio... First thanks for the great website. Second, I have new Norton Internet Software that was not letting the picture insert box be viewed until you disabled the software. Just a thought for those that are having touble finding the URL box. Rich
Huh? I or we disabled some software? I really don't think so. Or perhaps this "Norton Internet Software" software changed your experience some how. If it's "Norton Internet Security" it very likely is a setting you made without realizing it. I don't know it specifically, but have observed the security suites have options of low to high for settings and if one sets a high setting it could have effects like you're describing.

Huh? I or we disabled some software? I really don't think so. Or perhaps this "Norton Internet Software" software changed your experience some how. If it's "Norton Internet Security" it very likely is a setting you made without realizing it. I don't know it specifically, but have observed the security suites have options of low to high for settings and if one sets a high setting it could have effects like you're describing.
Iggy, I think he was using the word "you" as a pronoun for the person who has the Norton software at their computer and needs to disable it themselves.

Not "you" Iggy. I could be wrong though...the English "you" can be ambiguous at times. You get that?

Ahh.....!

I (that means me, the FJR guy writing this) gets it (meaning the point made) now (which means at this moment in time and not necessarily in the future when I forget) ;)

Ahh.....!
I (that means me, the FJR guy writing this) gets it (meaning the point made) now (which means at this moment in time and not necessarily in the future when I forget) ;)
Until I disable the software on my personal computer.... How's that. Thanks again for a great website. Rich

What is it a special Olympics? :)

IMG_2134.jpg

BTW. your avatar is not really Work Safe. If you are planing on posting often you might want to change it. i do not want to loose my job over it.

How did you do that? I just learned how to make my pictures smaller...I think. Sorry about the avatar...I'll change it after in a minute.

...Sorry about the avatar...I'll change it after in a minute.
Oh dang, sorry to hear that! But, this is often a work accessible, family available mad house -- err, highly informative user self help group :yahoo:

Yeah I got it now. It took me about a week to figure out how to post, then I did it once but forgot how I did it :huh: Hopefully I got it down. I toned the avatar down a little, please let me know if it's still too offensive and I'll find something else. Thanks.

Hey, Ignacio, yesterday I posted something about a Stebel horn install with 2 pix.

I followed your instructions as best I could, (considering my ADD, OCD, FNG, CIA, and general stupidity).

I "previewed" the post, prior to committing to posting. All looked great.

This morning I opened the post to read responses. Pix were right there, looking fine, but (though everyone was a little vague about it), the indication from the responders was that the pix weren't there.

I've got these current pix and some I posted with no trouble 8 months ago, on Picasa.

The address of my posting is: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry559376

I hit the "edit" button while on my posted page, and the link to the first pic appeared like this:

Horn%20Location%201.jpg

Can you tell if I've done something wrong?

Also, beneath my User name and info on the post page appeared this: Warn (0%), followed by 4 blue squares. Does that indicate something is screwy with my post's images? Similarly, I noticed on the New Posts page of the Forum, my post link has a little suitcase-like icon like everyone else, but MY icon is grayed out and has a little "pixel-like" addition in the corner. Is this also a clue that something's wrong?

I can't believe I'm having this much trouble. Must have something to do with my mother making me wear those saddle shoes when I was young.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.