Spiegler brake line install question - Non ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestal

Reaction score
So.... Getting around to installing the dual spiegler brake lines that I picked up some time ago (along with a bunch of other things....). The dual lines are the +1 inch versions and I have the D&D setbacks so the length seems about right, but, no matter how I route them or which end I hook up to what they just do NOT want to route correctly at all. Running them down and thru the center cutout of the fairing filler is almost impossible. In that position the lines want to foul when the forks compress and they will bind and hit the fork brace/fender. I ended up completely re-routing the lines to a spot immediately behind the fork tube on each side. They seem to tuck in there nicely and move and work fine as the suspension moves. I also had to bend each of the banjo's slightly to get the correct approach angle on the fittings to the calipers and master cylinder for them to work reasonably well as well as re-clocking the fittings as spiegler describes.

Several other people mentioned using the dual lines. Did you have similar problems with the routing?

Bear in mind that I have the front end apart and forks dissassembled so I had the empty forks in place and moved the front wheel through full jounce and rebound to check for the line movement and clearances. Routing them thru the hole in the center of the fairing filler mouted to the fork is pretty much a no-no from what I can see. Really bends the lines at full compression and the routing and movement of the lines during full suspension movement is not nice.

If you just installed them and didn't move the suspension thru full jounce and rebound you might want to check that.

I am not impressed with the spiegler lines, personally, for fit , angle of the banjos and clocking of the banjo fittings as supplied. For a dual line setup that replaces the stock single line with the splitter fitting the lines can be made to work but require much more than a simple bolt in in my opinion. I'm still not totally satisfied with the routing until I fab some brake line holders and guides and drill and tap some holes in the lower triple clamp to mount them so they stay put. Plus, I still have yet to see my superbrace from the group buy for final checking of clearance with the lines so that may change things a bit although I have been taking it into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume this is non-ABS. If you look around you will see another thread where I am generally dissappointed in the ABS "kit". As in, make it yourself kit.

Anyway, what about using the two holes that mount the two-way manifold to mount a bracket and hold the brake lines to route them correctly??

-BD

Yea, mine is a non-ABS.

Routing thru the center using the existing mounting holes to secure the dual lines routes them directing into the fender when the suspension is in full jounce. Not good..... Looks fine when the suspension is fully topped out or near the top but that is my caution, look at what happens at full jounce when routed thru the center like that.

Latest posts