Holeshot header stock pipe map

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Hello Knewman did a dyno run with the DW header and stock muffs, and has the map available if anyone wants it.

The Thread

The Map

Now and then I'm glad I kept my Sleazy affiliation. They appear intimidated by my unique brand of humour, however. Fukstiks..... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Holeshot headers put on yesterday at Cycle Imports in Soquel, Ca. near Santa Cruz. Richard, who owns the shop and wrenches is helped out by his wife who not only does the clerical work but helps in the shop. Dale uses Richard for some of his work and recommends him highly as do I after watching him work.

The install went good as it is amazing to see a talented mechanic do his thing. The plastic came off the radiator loosened and drained and the oem headers removed. Dale showed up to help as he used my bike in his audio/video on the Holeshot site. I also got to lend a helping hand in polishing the header and cans and installed the fender extender.

Reinstalled my power commander which was taken off to get the ticker fixed. Then off to the Dyno. Richard is also an approved Dynojet tuning center. Started with Dales map for the header/cans and Richard customized it for the way I ride and the way my FJR runs. This thing rocks. I thought at times to redline this thing is gonna blow. Great smoothness across the band from 1100 rpms to redline.

Put all the plastic on , paid the man for his excellent work, which by the way is way below Bay Area averages. Said good bye and was on my way. This bike now rocks better than it ever has. The sound is improved over just the HS cans only and the improved performance is very noticable through all the powerbands. We tweaked the cruising rpms for better gas milage but apllied the gas during perfomance runsMore testing to come but I can't believe how smooth and how much more this bike gives me just in the little riding I got to do on the way home.

Dale is such a great guy. He showed up to make sure the bike got on the dyno at his cost. He also makes a great product with high quality across the board for fit and performance. He hp gains are not what some would expect but enough in the performance range with the removal of the cats and most of the heat issue to be a very good buy and farkle. The sound is really neat that the header has been installed. Very aware of the bike's performance but not annoying and almost non existant at cruising speeds. I could not be happier with the product.

Two thumbs up for Richard and his wife at Cycle Imports. I would recommend anyone with any need for a motorcylce on or off road to use them if you canAnd many thanks to Dale for his help .

Yeah, the sound is defintitely different, I think due to it being a 4 into 2 now rather than a 4 into 1 into 2. Great sound at idle, and at low speed, quiets down considerably at cruise.

I had my Holeshot headers put on yesterday at Cycle Imports in Soquel, Ca. near Santa Cruz. Richard, who owns the shop and wrenches is helped out by his wife who not only does the clerical work but helps in the shop. Dale uses Richard for some of his work and recommends him highly as do I after watching him work.The install went good as it is amazing to see a talented mechanic do his thing. The plastic came off the radiator loosened and drained and the oem headers removed. Dale showed up to help as he used my bike in his audio/video on the Holeshot site. I also got to lend a helping hand in polishing the header and cans and installed the fender extender.

Reinstalled my power commander which was taken off to get the ticker fixed. Then off to the Dyno. Richard is also an approved Dynojet tuning center. Started with Dales map for the header/cans and Richard customized it for the way I ride and the way my FJR runs. This thing rocks. I thought at times to redline this thing is gonna blow. Great smoothness across the band from 1100 rpms to redline.

Put all the plastic on , paid the man for his excellent work, which by the way is way below Bay Area averages. Said good bye and was on my way. This bike now rocks better than it ever has. The sound is improved over just the HS cans only and the improved performance is very noticable through all the powerbands. We tweaked the cruising rpms for better gas milage but apllied the gas during perfomance runsMore testing to come but I can't believe how smooth and how much more this bike gives me just in the little riding I got to do on the way home.

Dale is such a great guy. He showed up to make sure the bike got on the dyno at his cost. He also makes a great product with high quality across the board for fit and performance. He hp gains are not what some would expect but enough in the performance range with the removal of the cats and most of the heat issue to be a very good buy and farkle. The sound is really neat that the header has been installed. Very aware of the bike's performance but not annoying and almost non existant at cruising speeds. I could not be happier with the product.

Two thumbs up for Richard and his wife at Cycle Imports. I would recommend anyone with any need for a motorcylce on or off road to use them if you canAnd many thanks to Dale for his help .
No numbers or graphs?? Where are the numbers? Let's see a jpg of the graph.

He posted something some place. The performance improvements appeared to be well within what would be normal bike-to-bike variations. I even pointed to some more dyno charts for comparisons.

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/dyno/dyno.html

dyno-mcn.jpg

MCN's chart

DynoChart.jpg

Micapeak's chart

dyno-bases.jpg

A local '04 FJR (stock - blue) and my '03 (pre-tuned with D&D Cans and PC3 - red)

dynochart.jpg

Mine after dyno tuning with D&Ds and PC3

The main advantage, as I see the headers is the loss of the cat/con and associated heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't know how to laod and post but my Dyno runs were real close to the one's posted here. Took a more real approach to the smoothness and particular power bands I ride instead of top horsepower. I had the map adjusted for gas milage at highway cruising speeds but also adjusted for the bikes fuel needs for when you really want to twist the throttle. Thats why its called a custom map. It is sooo smooth and responsive. What a difference a map makes. Plus the full system really helps with everything. Kind of go hand in hand. One without the other is useless of close to anyway.

I really don't know how to laod and post but my Dyno runs were real close to the one's posted here. Took a more real approach to the smoothness and particular power bands I ride instead of top horsepower. I had the map adjusted for gas milage at highway cruising speeds but also adjusted for the bikes fuel needs for when you really want to twist the throttle. Thats why its called a custom map. It is sooo smooth and responsive. What a difference a map makes. Plus the full system really helps with everything. Kind of go hand in hand. One without the other is useless of close to anyway.
At the very least, what was the max torque and HP numbers.

My last run end up with 127.1 hp with 89.3 max torque. We had better numbers but the fuel consumption was more than I wanted for touring. Plus Richard didn't see a need to keep making tuning runs with what we accomplished. I was satisfied with his effort and advice on the map that went into the bike. We ended up with air/fuel of around 12.6

I had my Holeshot headers put on yesterday at Cycle Imports in Soquel, Ca. near Santa Cruz. Richard, who owns the shop and wrenches is helped out by his wife who not only does the clerical work but helps in the shop. Dale uses Richard for some of his work and recommends him highly as do I after watching him work.The install went good as it is amazing to see a talented mechanic do his thing. The plastic came off the radiator loosened and drained and the oem headers removed. Dale showed up to help as he used my bike in his audio/video on the Holeshot site. I also got to lend a helping hand in polishing the header and cans and installed the fender extender.

How did you tweak the power commander to give you better gas mileage?

The bike was put on the dyno after the install of the Holeshot full system. We started with a map that prexisted then made a custom map to suit my riding needs. Making your runs through the rpm and power bands dictates the use of fuel. So in the comfort range of the FJR while cruising is where you want fuel efficiency, so you tweak the fuel to air mixture without compromising performance in that range. When making runs on the dyno you have a chart that has numerical values at all rpm ranges. Once the map is made its loaded to the power commander.

What a difference a map makes. Plus the full system really helps with everything. Kind of go hand in hand. One without the other is useless of close to anyway.
Yeah. Whatever.

Details, details, details man..........

So what is the magical fuel air ratio that you obtained for better fuel economy? And for the upper rpm power?

Yeah. Whatever.
Details, details, details man..........

So what is the magical fuel air ratio that you obtained for better fuel economy? And for the upper rpm power?
Seriously. I want to hear more!!

Smoother operation, more power, good econ, less heat, sweet sound. I'll sign up, but I need more!

-BD

Dale will have the map if you buy his system. Mark posted his map and dyno run and they all are similar in effect but different in performance. Mark, I believe posted he didn't want to spend the extra money to split hairs on his mapping. He thought what he had was good for him as I am happy with the map that was created for my riding style. At any time I can go back and tweak this map if I am not happy. If you look at the stock mapping to the custom maps for the dale's full system they follow similar patterns but the full system just out performs the stock. You can tweak the map so it performs the way you ride in the range you ride in. If you want you can dump fuel for massive performance such as track time etc the map will allow you the max level possible. I f you want smooth acceleration and milage for the road you can do that also. Plus if heat is an issue with you it sure seems to take most of it away. Now those that will be on '06 might not notice the heat but will sure notice the performance. Alot of the mapping has to do with how food the guy is that is running the Dyno. His knowledge is just like a wrench who is tuning your bike. The better he is the better the bike will run.

I must say this system is of the highest quality that you will find anywhere. To some the gains might not outweigh the cost. For me personally just the sound and smoothness through all the power ranges with the elimination of the cats is enough for me. But you will feel the difference and the sound is sweet!!!!

I have another question. I would buy the header, but admittedly, the holeshot cans don't tickle me where I like it. I have always admired the Blueflames and would like to go that route.

Rad had a hell of a time because the "Brand X" claim turned out not to fly as planned. Has this been resolved? Has Dale changed the header ever so slightly to accommodate brand X for real yet?

-BD

The header will work with any muffler that used the original exhaust seals Yamaha used on the stock muffs. If the muffler fit sans seals, it has too small an ID to work. No modded header is expected.

The header will work with any muffler that used the original exhaust seals Yamaha used on the stock muffs. If the muffler fit sans seals, it has too small an ID to work. No modded header is expected.
So, other than the D&D's, do we know which other slip-ons do and don't?

-BD

The header will work with any muffler that used the original exhaust seals Yamaha used on the stock muffs.  If the muffler fit sans seals, it has too small an ID to work.  No modded header is expected.
So, other than the D&D's, do we know which other slip-ons do and don't?

-BD
But that's what's odd. My D&D's use the OEM gasket at the collector.

Staintunes use the OEM gasket at the collector as well.

Not to be overly skeptical, but maybe the heat of summer should arrive before the header is confirmed as a "heat fix". The theory seems fine, I just think it's premature to draw conclusions without all the evidence.

It would have been interesting if Marc had first run his bike in stock condition, then compared it to modified condition. From what I read, his base dyno run was made with the header installed, but not yet properly mapped.