28k Mile Service = More Heat Than Normal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I had my 28K mile service done a couple weeks ago. Ever since, bike has been running exceptionally hot. It's hitting 4 lines and the fan is coming on while I'm moving. That never happened before.

Certainly the heat here in NC is a factor, but is this something I should worry about? What could have been done that's making the bike heat up more than before?

There is a screw on the thermostat housing that is used to burp the cooling system after a drain and fill, i.e. the 28k service. If they didn't burp the cooling system you may have an air pocket or low on coolant.

Concur with Rambin's observation. They prolly did something (inadvertant, I'm sure) to cause the bike to start running a little hot. One doesn't start seeing 4 bars all-of-a-sudden for no reason...

There is a screw on the thermostat housing that is used to burp the cooling system after a drain and fill, i.e. the 28k service. If they didn't burp the cooling system you may have an air pocket or low on coolant.
And just for the more ignorant among us, the water pump is on the right (as you sit on the bike) side near the front correct?

So, do I need to do a complete blow job of the coolant to get it fixed?

"There is a screw on the thermostat housing that is used to burp the cooling system after a drain and fill" Got a pic of this screws location? I drained & filled in the spring, followed the "Blow Job" write up, don't remember anything about a burp screw. All was and is well with my system before and after I did it.

The screw is at the upper most location of the cooling system. After a drain and fill, you pull this screw and top off your coolant level using the radiator cap under the left upper fairing panel. You go slow and watch for coolant to dribble from the hole and when it does your system is completely full. Then you top off your plasti tank to the "upper" line.

This is for people who have the tank raised and want to be anal about making sure they have all of the coolant they are supposed to have first, or for the people that think they may have a problem with their cooling and want to make sure there is no air in the system, as that's where it will be.

Even if there is a small amount of air in the system, not a big deal. With coolant in the surge/overflow tank, the system will bleed the air out on it's own after a few heating/cooling cycles. One must just be sure to keep the tank full, so that the system draws in coolant as it cools, not air. You would have to have a very low coolant level to cavitate the pump and produce the temps you're seeing. Has a vac hose been left off? Something blocking the radiator (plastic bag or???). Is coolant indeed full? Define "moving". As in traffic, or at speed?

I had the same thing happen to me after I changed the coolant at 24,000 miles. Like Radman said the air will work itself out in time. However for me it took about a month before the temps returned to normal and I ride nearly every day.

Ok, I have been looking for this magical screw and can't seem to locate it. I've attached a picture. Anyone want to draw a circle or an arrow around the spot this mythical screw is hiding?

WhereIsTheBurpScrew.JPG

Dude, first you have to get down to the thermostat. That thing in the picture is your air injection system. Remove the T-bar and the air injection (its easy), and the screw (its a bolt) is on the very top of the thermostat housing.

Ametures..sheesh ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to own a Toyota MR2 (engine by Yamaha). It was a mid engined car with a front rad. The car had two of the air bleeders for the cooling system. It was a real mother to get all the air out after a full cooling system change. If you left any air in the system it would turn into steam and it would make the temp guage swing wildly......

Cool on the MR2. I will get one of those someday! Almost bought one two years ago (Turbo, '91, mostly stock, 60K)

In the pic, if you remove the t-bar, the burp bolt is located just under the wiring harness near the steering head. It is bolted to the thermostat housing, which is the size and shape of a large lime/peach.

Anybody drill a hole in the thermostat? It does help keep the temps from climbing so rapidly in traffic!!! Did it last year with good success!

That guy (antvq) has the best little picture thingie going. Has anyone ever tried something called engine ICE. Claims to lower temps by up to FIFTY degrees....it is proobably 19.95 and only sold on TV but has anyone tried it??

Has anyone ever tried something called engine ICE. Claims to lower temps by up to FIFTY degrees....it is proobably 19.95 and only sold on TV but has anyone tried it??
I've had it in the bike for a little more than a year. It didn't harm anything but I didn't see any benefit over a good coolant either; especially considering the cost. I won't be staying with it during the next flush.