Superslab Saddlesore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airboss

Reaction score
Riding a saddlesore ride on the supeslab may not seem much of a challege to you hard core LD riders, but every one has to get their feet wet some how. This has been lurking in the back of my mind ever since I rode the FJR home from the dealer two months ago. This bike just begs to be ridden.

Friday night I get home from work and after dinner I'm watching the news, looks like we're having some really decent weather all across the midwest for Saturday. So I ask the wife if we have any comments for the weekend. Well Saturday shes off to Chicago with girlfriends, but Sunday we have to ect., ect., ect.

Wooo Hooo freeday, I'm going do it. Saturday morming up at 4AM, out the door by 5. Fuel at Creve Coeur and hit the road. Short jaunt down 474 to 155, then 55 to St. Louis, picked up 270 loop to 70 west for Kansas City, so far every things just cicking off the miles really petty boring, Weather nice and cool, traffics still lite.

Just west of St. Louis I stopped for gas and a bite of breakfast, then back on 70 west, traffic sure got thicker in a hurry, wow. St. Louis to Kansas City city traffic all the way. So I'm out in the left lane twisting the trottle trying to make some time, along with the rest of the state( does everyone here have to stay left is it a state reg or something). I'm rolling along dealing With the traffic as best I can. I look to the right theres a pickup pulling a trailer with two bikes on board, and ones an FJR, looks like an 04, whats up with this? I thought that if you trailered an Fjr they would morf into harleys. I didn't know you could do that.

Kansas City corner #2 got my gas receipt and headed Noth on 29, temps are really starting to climb now, weatherman missed the forecast again, forecast highs of 90-91 for this area, I'm looking a 99-102 on the highway, next time camelback, North on 29 was the slow leg, bike did fine, it was me , had to keep stopping and pouring water down me, and all over me. I consumed more water than gas on this leg.

Talk about road hazards outside one of the university towns, pulled out to pass a convertable with 4 girls in it, as I'm rolling by look over, and their all topless,and a smiling and a waving and a having a good time, and I'm a trying not to crash! :yahoo:

Council Bluffs, IA. corner #3 got gas, got receipt, turned East on 80, homeward bound, right hand and wrist sore, left hand and wrist sore, butt sore, back aches, and helmet smells like a cess pool. this was really a dumb ideal. I'm 2/3 done I'm goning to finish this!

Iowa, nice scenery corns up, In Iowa they grow bugs fatter and jucier than anywhere else in the nation, they hit the visor with a big thwack, an juice runs all over. :dribble:

Cross the Mississippi River into Illinois at Davenport its dark now and overcast temps are starting to fall, some lighting off in the distance, almost wish it would rain. No moon with the coulds overhead so its really dark, but this bke has good lights even stock, but theres lots of deer strikes on the road, and we also grow racoons big and fat here, so I wind it down a bit and follow the cagers, hoping they will get there first.

Now I'm just racking up miles to get done, stop in Lasalle/Peru to get corner #4, head south on 39 to Bloomington for a few insurance miles, then West on 74 to Creve Coeur for my clock out receipt.

Come dragging my butt in the door a 2AM, thinking damn what a fool thing to do, I am never going to do that again.

This morning after listening to the better half tell me all about how silly this whole thing was, I'm kind of thinking that I've got a weeks vacation coming up, and I'm kind of wondering if I can ride around the Great Lakes in four days. Ya think. :rolleyes:

Woo-hoo! :yahoo:

Congrats airboss!

:clapping:

Twas only two years ago that I completed my first SaddleSore 1000 on the way to WFO-3, in Moscow, ID. I remember it fondly, sniff, sniff. Then, last summer it was my first BBG when I rode from Arizona to the Chicago burbs where I grew up.

Great times!

Your ride will be something you never forget. Well done!

So when is the next one?

:lol:

Congrats airboss. I did my first (and maybe only) Saddlesore 1000 last year. The IBA plate holder sure does look good on the FJR. :D

Tom

Congrats Airboss! And you got free coed mammaries as an added bonus!

Congrats on your first SaddleSore! B)

Ain't nothing wrong with slabbling it the first time around, and in some cases, makes the most since with regard to rest stops, 24-hour gas, etc.

Airboss, Congrats on your ride !!

And I want to know if you had your sunscreen with you? Ya know, you could have offered some to the ladies, wouldn't want to get those tender parts sunburned .......

CONGRATULATIONS--neighbor! :clapping:

If I knew you were going by, I would have met up with you.

I`m usually at Grayboy Motorsports on Sat. morning (for coffee) about 9:30 or 10:00.

Stop by sometime.

And now it begins-- :assassin:

Nice job! Like they always say, "you'll never forget your first". Congrats!................. :clapping:

Congratulations! I did the first one for the license plate holder, & the second because I thought the docs for the first might not hold up...

Afterwards, I realize now that LD riding is a neat way to go, and my playground just got lots bigger. In fact, WFO is on the schedule for later this month, good chance to do some miles out west !

After that chest exposure I probably would've had to stop & get my breath...

Riding a saddlesore ride on the supeslab may not seem much of a challege to you hard core LD riders, but every one has to get their feet wet some how. This has been lurking in the back of my mind ever since I rode the FJR home from the dealer two months ago. This bike just begs to be ridden.
Friday night I get home from work and after dinner I'm watching the news, looks like we're having some really decent weather all across the midwest for Saturday. So I ask the wife if we have any comments for the weekend. Well Saturday shes off to Chicago with girlfriends, but Sunday we have to ect., ect., ect.

Wooo Hooo freeday, I'm going do it. Saturday morming up at 4AM, out the door by 5. Fuel at Creve Coeur and hit the road. Short jaunt down 474 to 155, then 55 to St. Louis, picked up 270 loop to 70 west for Kansas City, so far every things just cicking off the miles really petty boring, Weather nice and cool, traffics still lite.

Just west of St. Louis I stopped for gas and a bite of breakfast, then back on 70 west, traffic sure got thicker in a hurry, wow. St. Louis to Kansas City city traffic all the way. So I'm out in the left lane twisting the trottle trying to make some time, along with the rest of the state( does everyone here have to stay left is it a state reg or something). I'm rolling along dealing With the traffic as best I can. I look to the right theres a pickup pulling a trailer with two bikes on board, and ones an FJR, looks like an 04, whats up with this? I thought that if you trailered an Fjr they would morf into harleys. I didn't know you could do that.

Kansas City corner #2 got my gas receipt and headed Noth on 29, temps are really starting to climb now, weatherman missed the forecast again, forecast highs of 90-91 for this area, I'm looking a 99-102 on the highway, next time camelback, North on 29 was the slow leg, bike did fine, it was me , had to keep stopping and pouring water down me, and all over me. I consumed more water than gas on this leg.

Talk about road hazards outside one of the university towns, pulled out to pass a convertable with 4 girls in it, as I'm rolling by look over, and their all topless,and a smiling and a waving and a having a good time, and I'm a trying not to crash! :yahoo:

Council Bluffs, IA. corner #3 got gas, got receipt, turned East on 80, homeward bound, right hand and wrist sore, left hand and wrist sore, butt sore, back aches, and helmet smells like a cess pool. this was really a dumb ideal. I'm 2/3 done I'm goning to finish this!

Iowa, nice scenery corns up, In Iowa they grow bugs fatter and jucier than anywhere else in the nation, they hit the visor with a big thwack, an juice runs all over. :dribble:

Cross the Mississippi River into Illinois at Davenport its dark now and overcast temps are starting to fall, some lighting off in the distance, almost wish it would rain. No moon with the coulds overhead so its really dark, but this bke has good lights even stock, but theres lots of deer strikes on the road, and we also grow racoons big and fat here, so I wind it down a bit and follow the cagers, hoping they will get there first.

Now I'm just racking up miles to get done, stop in Lasalle/Peru to get corner #4, head south on 39 to Bloomington for a few insurance miles, then West on 74 to Creve Coeur for my clock out receipt.

Come dragging my butt in the door a 2AM, thinking damn what a fool thing to do, I am never going to do that again.

This morning after listening to the better half tell me all about how silly this whole thing was, I'm kind of thinking that I've got a weeks vacation coming up, and I'm kind of wondering if I can ride around the Great Lakes in four days. Ya think. :rolleyes:
Kudos! I've been inspired by the stories. I'm going to try it in August during my vacation. Did you do it on a stock saddle?

Last edited by a moderator:
gkslver, Thanks, I stop by grayboys often, I also ride a vn750 (my commutor bike). If you ride the farkled 03 I saw it there one saturday.

shinypartsup, yes stock saddle works for me, I do use a sheepskin pad on and off, seems to change the seating position just enough to rest butt parts, and helps reduce the stock seats wedgie effect. The one thing I did not have that I really needed was a hydration system, riding in the ausgust heat your most important ally is going to be water.

and to all I didn't have any sunscreen with me. It took a real long time to pass that convertable.

Congrats on your ride! Now that you know it can be done, and have learned a great deal from your first experience, it will be a personal challenge that you'll put on yourself to spice up the next one (less slabs, more off-the-beaten-path).

Congrats. I have an Aunt and Uncle that live up in that area. Used to be Creve Coeur, but I think they are out by Lake St. Louis(?) now.

Howzabout we schedule a 1000 BBG ride? (1000 Beautiful Breast Gala)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on doing your first SS1000. Before you it, you'll be hooked and throwing your app in for the Iron Butt Rally!

Wait a minute.... you can SCHEDULE these things?!?! :eek: :dribble: :yahoo:

Congrats on doing your first SS1000. Before you it, you'll be hooked and throwing your app in for the Iron Butt Rally!

Wait a minute.... you can SCHEDULE these things?!?! :eek: :dribble: :yahoo:
Yes, but the accident rate is astronomical... :rolleyes:

Another use for the helmet cam! Not that that would ever happen to me. Nope it never would.

Congrats on your first!

Way to Go!! Congrats...I did my first one back in the 80's and several since. I never forget each one. I'm planning on possibly attending the Reno Rally...2300 miles from here one way! My wife thinks I've actually lost it.