Faulty Metzlers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclenut

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It happened to me at just 4670 miles. The front broke a belt. Didn't lose air but it is certainly unrideable. I can't remember if there was any course of action we can take. Is Metzler or Yammy giving any reinbursments for this problem? I know this is a known issue. Thanks lads.

Thanks, that's helpful. I think I see how you've racked up over 2000 posts.

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that there was some aggreement by Yamaha on this issue since I know it has happened to many folks, that's why I inquired.

Ho-ya! Your a spicy and insightful one for a FNG.

I'm presuming you're talking about the original tire on the bike? I'd think that would be a conversation with the dealer on whether that's a warranty item under defective workmanship.

I may be a FNG but I'm a rather aged FNG. Yes, I was talking about the OEM tires. Thanks.

I'll check with Yammy. I just wanted to be a little armed.

Prior to getting a set of Z6's I contacted Metzeler and they said there is no problem, just a perception of a problem created on the internet.

Perhaps you should contact NHTSA

https://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa...3a431046108a0c/

and file a complaint with them as should all the people complaining of Metzeler problems. That way if there is a consistent problem and Metzeler is not responsive the government will force a recall.

I'm not aware of anything that Yamaha would do on this issue, and other than that I'd have to agree with the brief reply you received before. Tire problems on any new vehicle are ususally referred to the manufacturer of the tire.

NYPete

I should probably contact Metzler too!

If you all recall, I had a front tire (Z6) blow about a month ago. The steel belts were begining to develop a band about an inch wide before it popped.

The bad news is: I was doing 80 mph when it popped!

The good new is: I didn't go down.

I was lucky to be within about 25 miles of Sunnyside Motorcycle Co, the FJR1300 guru's. Of course, they had a new front Avon in stock.

My tire did have 12,000 miles on it, but it wasn't worn to the wear bars yet. Hell, I thought it was safe! :dribble:

My last Metzler!

Again...anyone with a problem of the tire delaminating, belts separating, blow outs or any manufacturing defect that creates a risk of a crash or death SHOULD be reported to the NHTSA, not just Metzeler. Keeping the problem among us, or just on bulletin boards doesn’t help the large number of riders that don’t belong to, or read the bulletin boards and are unaware of any problems. By not reporting it to NHTSA you’re doing a disservice to the motorcycling community. Don’t forget these tires are also recommended for the BMW’s and Honda.

NYPete

Is Metzler or Yammy giving any reinbursments for this problem?

You asked a question. I answered it. What part of my reply befuddles you? What's the problem? Did you not get a supplemental warranty card in your paperwork from Metzler? No vehicle manufacturer warrants the tires. They are all covered directly by the tire manufacturer. RTFB, bro.

Hey admins? Can we please get a bitch-slap smilie?

Sheesh. <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
"Tune in again tomorrow to see if TWN has been silenced forever..." :D

:rolf:
[SIZE=14pt]DREAMER[/SIZE] :jester: If TWN leaves, only half as many moderators are necessary.

I know this will piss someone off, just sure who yet. The most Metzler would probably do is give you a new tire after they receive the old one. Do you really want another one?

Who pays the labor? Yamaha probably won't. Mine came with Metzlers also. I will change them pretty soon, hopefully before I have an issue. 4700 miles is all some are getting out of them. They can ask all sorts of stuff to try to throw it back on you. Proper inflation? Do you keep records of that sir? When was the wheel last balanced? Wheelies, stoppies( yeah I know- 600lb. bike)? 4700 miles usage? Lets figure the prorate for you sir. All just to fuck with you until you give up. Write them a nasty letter stating that you'll never spend another dollar with their company ever again, and that you will tell your 1300 new friends your story. You may get lucky. But if you're a typical FJR owner, you have already spent 200 for sliders, 100 for bar ends, 60 for a rad grille, wilbur shock, fork brace, risers, custom seat, top case(please mommy make it stop), stainless brake lines, slip ons, and whatever the fuck else for your at the most not quite three year old $13,000 motorcycle. Just break out another hundred and BUY ANOTHER TIRE!! Oh yeah, and call NHTSA so that when mine has a problem, maybe Metzler might take care of it for ME. Thanks dude. Helpful bastards, aren't we? :)

OK, I think I am no longer befudled. There has been no deal with Metzeler. I thought I remember seeing somewhere once that there was. Since there isn't what you guys are saying makes complete sense and it's the way I would have figured.

Forgive me TWN, I don't make 11.7 posts per day, I'm not sure what RTFB stands for. I wouldn't want to miss a good insult.

Carry on lads.

OK, I think I am no longer befudled. There has been no deal with Metzeler. I thought I remember seeing somewhere once that there was. Since there isn't what you guys are saying makes complete sense and it's the way I would have figured.
Forgive me TWN, I don't make 11.7 posts per day, I'm not sure what RTFB stands for. I wouldn't want to miss a good insult.

Carry on lads.
RTFB = Read The FJR1300( :ph34r: ) Book ;) ;) !

Best Regards,

Shane

T done been bitch slapped!! :stunned:

slap_dens.jpg

Interesting take on who's "at fault" or responsible, for the dreaded Metzler problem. Some folks saying Metzler is responsible, but probably won't do anything while others intimate Yamaha has some culpability.

Have we forgotten the Explorer/Firestone debacle of a few years back?

Click the link and be reminded that Ford got sued just as hard as Bridgestone/Firestone. Now the thrust of the article is how unsafe the vehicle was and how poorly it protected its passengers during a crash caused by tire blowout.

So an unsafe vehicle is blamed for killing/injuring its operators/passengers when an allegedly defective tire blew out. Don't you think a case could easily be made that a motorcycle is inherently an unsafe vehicle? So Yamaha is culpable by building an unsafe vehicle and equipping it with defective tires. Were you given a choice of tire brand when you bought your FJR?

Didn't think so.

I'm betting a nice little letter from an attorney gets the dealer to replace that bad Metzler toot-sweet.