Dancin in the Dark

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Crzy8, aka DeerSlayer, failed me again and left me stranded.

I've been working graveyard, so for my 1x week night off decided to visit my lady friend, have dinner, then ride back roads home. I've been consciously working on improving my night riding skills as night riding is something I used to really enjoy but over the years have been avoiding it more and more, for reasons unknown.

So there I am, heading east of Paso Robles on a very, very deserted section of road at approx 11 pm, when I realize I missed my turn. No biggie, just hang a Uee and get back on track. While making the Uee, full lock left, all lights left the building, just like Elvis.

Interesting thoughts x the mind..

1. Damn. Sure is dark out here. Cold too. Haven't seen a car for some time, but I have a small mag light (2 AA battery type) flashlight. OK, get to a safe spot and investigate. Tail, running, brake, turn, instrument cluster lights all work. Only the headlights are dead.

2. I'm running the Soltek Fuego HID lights, but they are dead too since they are tied into the low/high beam wiring circuit using a superduper trick relay that ties into the OEM lo/hi beam wiring. Maybe it would be better to isolate those two circuits so that if one fails, at least the other still works, just like my Harley Davidson does it.

2. Now I know why TurboDave and the IBA guyz always carry a big freaking flashlight with them. When broken down in the daaaarrrkk a small light isn't enough to troubleshoot with, not alone to ride home with. My AA mag-light and small visor light were not adequate to negotiate the ride home. It was all I could do to get back to 'town', approx 4 miles, where AAA could find me.

3. AAA rocks. Asked all the right questions; type of bike?, fairing?, bags?, sidecar? Within 30 minutes they were on the spot.

4. When a big diesel flat bed tow truck arrives to help you, the ones with the 20' bed that moves back then ramps down to the ground... Do NOT ride all the way to the top... You will slide down backwards, front brake locked, for what seems to be an eternity. Fortunately for me, I ride backwards every day and handled it, but it was s-k-e-t-c-h-e-y. The AAA guy couldn't believe I was a) stupid enough to ride to top, and B) able to make it back down without crashing..

While waiting for AAA, I removed the panel on the right lower side to access the fuses. Sure enough, the headlight fuse was blown. I didn't think it would work, but I tried anyway and replaced the 25A fuse with another. It blew immediately upon firing up the bike, so somewhere a dead short exists in the circuit.

The entire front end of this bike was recently put back together due to a deer strike and I'm pretty sure somewhere, a headlight wire has been pinched as it blew the initial fuse while at full left lock. So back to the dealer I go.

I'll post up with results should it be related to the super-duper whammydamn relay that works off the lo/hi beam OEM circuit.

My lord, you have had a horrible time of it!!!

Have you thought of trying an exorcist?

Glad you didn't crash, and things worked out enough you got home safe. Not a small thing to be thankful for.

But Damn!

My lord, you have had a horrible time of it!!!
Have you thought of trying an exorcist?

Glad you didn't crash, and things worked out enough you got home safe. Not a small thing to be thankful for.

But Damn!
Thanks Shiny! Got any good exorcists phone numbers? Like my dirt bike bud Jeff Ashe, I just need to lose my fear of stripping TupperWare to get to the root cause..

...and, I still love this bike - although when I hit 80k, I will sell and buy new. That's only 30.5k away.. guess I'll have to hit Smitty up for another CC install.. :rolleyes:

AAA rocks. Asked all the right questions; type of bike?, fairing?, bags?, sidecar? Within 30 minutes they were on the spot.
It's good to hear that bit about AAA. I've often wondered how they'd respond to a motorcycle rescue.

Great that the failure didn't produce any damage to yourself or the bike. Losing that light could have had much worse consequences. :blink:

Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/i]3. AAA rocks. Asked all the right questions; type of bike?, fairing?, bags?, sidecar? Within 30 minutes they were on the spot.

It's good to hear that bit about AAA. I've often wondered how they'd respond to a motorcycle rescue.

Great that the failure didn't produce any damage to yourself or the bike. Losing that light could have had much worse consequences.
:blink:

Take care.

Additionally, I have the 'extended' plan which allows for MC and RV incidents, with
100 mile towing. Priceless, will, not priceless, I think it cost me another 20 bucks for the extended plan.. :rolleyes: On the same thread, the young man who rescued me was very nice and had a most professional demeanor. I insisted that I install the tie downs to the points of my selection from the bike to the truck. I then asked him to verify that these anchor points were acceptable to him, so that should the bike take a tumble AAA would be on the hook. He fully agreed and Crzy8/DeerSlayer made it home safely, even on my disaster of a dirt road.

2nd thought - when DeerSlayer left me stranded on Wild Rose road, Death Valley, AAA was also ready and willing to help. Barabus and Spielbuk? (Steve) provided AAA with GPS coordinates and they were on the way. Didn't end up needing them, and called the resuce mission off, but even in the outer reaches of DV, AAA was on the way.

Thanks Shiny! Got any good exorcists phone numbers? Like my dirt bike bud Jeff Ashe, I just need to lose my fear of stripping TupperWare to get to the root cause..
...and, I still love this bike - although when I hit 80k, I will sell and buy new. That's only 30.5k away.. guess I'll have to hit Smitty up for another CC install.. :rolleyes:

No exorcist numbers. Have you tried this official exorcism prayer?

As for the plastic, I'm with you. Not that I could be confused with a mechanic, but it was somehow easier to find stuff on UJM's and cruisers. At least I could find the battery with a small flashlight...... I'm intimidated by the plastic too.

As for selling.........maybe turn it in for a shiny black one? Just be careful of the CC install on the gen II.....

But do the exorcism first. Can't hurt.

As for the plastic, I'm with you. Not that I could be confused with a mechanic, but it was somehow easier to find stuff on UJM's and cruisers. At least I could find the battery with a small flashlight...... I'm intimidated by the plastic too.

As for selling.........maybe turn it in for a shiny black one? Just be careful of the CC install on the gen II.....

But, but, dood, I'm Baptist! :rolleyes:

But, but, dood, I'm Baptist! :rolleyes:
God and the archangel Michael will forgive you. ;) :D

or ignore you :huh: since I can't speak for them.........

All things considered it could of been a lot worse.

Good to know about AAA and you got out of that alive.

New here so I take it "deerslayer" is the name of your bike. Cause if it is not I would get a new riding buddy, that one seems to leave you a lot.

Wow Don, riding around Creston is always an adventure! Thanks for posting. Glad you're okay, once again.

I too have AAA coverage, and carry tire repair gear. Thus far, both seem to have prevented any incidents. Perhaps I need a bigger flashlight for my tankbag.

Crzy8, aka DeerSlayer, failed me again and left me stranded.
I've been working graveyard, so for my 1x week night off decided to visit my lady friend, have dinner, then ride back roads home. I've been consciously working on improving my night riding skills as night riding is something I used to really enjoy but over the years have been avoiding it more and more, for reasons unknown.

So there I am, heading east of Paso Robles on a very, very deserted section of road at approx 11 pm, when I realize I missed my turn. No biggie, just hang a Uee and get back on track. While making the Uee, full lock left, all lights left the building, just like Elvis.

Interesting thoughts x the mind..

1. Damn. Sure is dark out here. Cold too. Haven't seen a car for some time, but I have a small mag light (2 AA battery type) flashlight. OK, get to a safe spot and investigate. Tail, running, brake, turn, instrument cluster lights all work. Only the headlights are dead.

2. I'm running the Soltek Fuego HID lights, but they are dead too since they are tied into the low/high beam wiring circuit using a superduper trick relay that ties into the OEM lo/hi beam wiring. Maybe it would be better to isolate those two circuits so that if one fails, at least the other still works, just like my Harley Davidson does it.

2. Now I know why TurboDave and the IBA guyz always carry a big freaking flashlight with them. When broken down in the daaaarrrkk a small light isn't enough to troubleshoot with, not alone to ride home with. My AA mag-light and small visor light were not adequate to negotiate the ride home. It was all I could do to get back to 'town', approx 4 miles, where AAA could find me.

3. AAA rocks. Asked all the right questions; type of bike?, fairing?, bags?, sidecar? Within 30 minutes they were on the spot.

4. When a big diesel flat bed tow truck arrives to help you, the ones with the 20' bed that moves back then ramps down to the ground... Do NOT ride all the way to the top... You will slide down backwards, front brake locked, for what seems to be an eternity. Fortunately for me, I ride backwards every day and handled it, but it was s-k-e-t-c-h-e-y. The AAA guy couldn't believe I was a) stupid enough to ride to top, and B) able to make it back down without crashing..

While waiting for AAA, I removed the panel on the right lower side to access the fuses. Sure enough, the headlight fuse was blown. I didn't think it would work, but I tried anyway and replaced the 25A fuse with another. It blew immediately upon firing up the bike, so somewhere a dead short exists in the circuit.

The entire front end of this bike was recently put back together due to a deer strike and I'm pretty sure somewhere, a headlight wire has been pinched as it blew the initial fuse while at full left lock. So back to the dealer I go.

I'll post up with results should it be related to the super-duper whammydamn relay that works off the lo/hi beam OEM circuit.
Damn, you were lucky not to get hit by a cager.

This is one of the reasons why I have my aux lights totally separate from the low/main beam circuit on another switch. Even though I do carry spare fuses, duh me for not carrying the tools to get at the fuse panel.

After reading your post (I ride a great deal at night) I wil now carry these tools along with a head strap light configuration that some back country hikers carry for night time use.

I learn so much from this forum.

One last thing, do you think that after your deer strike the shop did not route some of the wires correctly?

Ride safe,

Taff.

THAT'S why I have mine on a separate circuit! I heard all the arguments, "But its easier..."; "This way they only operate with the brights switch...", etc., etc. Then I decided to wire mine separately, thanks for the confirmation of my thought process. Sorry it was proven the "hard way".

2. Now I know why TurboDave and the IBA guyz always carry a big freaking flashlight with them. When broken down in the daaaarrrkk a small light isn't enough to troubleshoot with, not alone to ride home with.My AA mag-light and small visor light were not adequate to negotiate the ride home. It was all I could do to get back to 'town', approx 4 miles, where AAA could find me.
Yeppers! I carry a small mag-light for "little" searches. A good standard (2-D Batt) flashlight is a bonus. 

And, yes, carrying the upgraded RV towing is worth every penny.

Senor DCarver de la Noche',

See what happens? You shoulda' fallen down when you took out bambi !! You'd have a new bike !!!

NOT ! You mighta gotten hurt, and we certainly don't want that.

It would seem that you know exactly what's wrong - you have a pinched wire taking your headlight circuit to a dead short. Es No Bueno.

You lead such an adventurous life!!!

You be safe, and next time you do that, well, DON'T !! OK ?

I'd check real close on the Soltek wiring. A relay could have turned on a bolt and touched down on some metal. With things being real tight, possibilities abound. Keep checking continuity as you pull each piece apart. These things can be a real pain to track down. At least you have all day.... :rolleyes:

Good posting, good result for you.

[/i]3. AAA rocks. Asked all the right questions; type of bike?, fairing?, bags?, sidecar? Within 30 minutes they were on the spot.
I've had good results with AAA for bikes, too. The guys REALLY KNOW THEIR STUFF.

[For others' knowledge: for M/C to be covered you have to get the RV package, which you had. Also, I'm told not all contract trucks will accept an assignment for a fully faired M/C if they've had bad experiences with prior claims of plastic fairing damage.]

Aux lights should always source their power from a completely unique circuit, one that services the lights, and the lights only.

Which, I'm guessing, Don, is the way you'll be wiring them during this repair. ;)

Scary business, losing all lights altogether. Good thing you were thundering down a mountain sweeper at speed on moonless night when this happened... :huh:

Aux lights should always source their power from a completely unique circuit, one that services the lights, and the lights only.
Which, I'm guessing, Don, is the way you'll be wiring them during this repair. ;)
I'm guessing its the "triggering" power to the relay. The auxilary lights are probably powered separately (I HOPE!) but use the headlamp to trigger the relay.

If I'm mistaken (imagine that), when they are rewired per Warchild's suggestion (powered separately) I would also run a switch separate from the headlamps.

Mine are sourced per Dale's advice to you, and the on/off switch is also independant. If I lose one light circuit, I have a backup. Now you have to "chase" both circuits to find the short-to-ground.

Mine are switched from a separate circuit, but using Solteks to get home wouldn't be much fun either, especially if you happened upon an LEO. I doubt he'd let you continue on like that, and would probably cite you for the Solteks.

You could always point them way down, to minimize blindness to oncoming road users, but still....

Gonna be interesting to find out what ol' CRZY8 threw at him THIS time. I think it's the Feejer Gods punishing him for his part-time loyalty.

COMMIT! One way or the other. The truth will set you free. The Gods frown on flip-floppers, but I don't know too many guys who keep a Harley around for a backup ride. :lol: