Saddlebags- On or Off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you ride?

• Bags On?

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Bags Off?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • My bags come off?

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

spyderbret

Reaction score
I searched but couldnt find a matching topic.

What do you guys do? For daily commuting? Short day trips?

What are the pros and cons of leaving the bags on vs. off?

Right now I have them off because I am enjoying the streamlined look, but I plan on using the FJR for daily commuting to work. I am sure I will figure out what works best for me but I was just curious as to what you all do...

TIA!!!

UDATE!! POLL ADDED!!!

Martin had a great idea to add a poll so.... Here you go....

Last edited by a moderator:

Right now I have them off because I am enjoying the streamlined look, but I plan on using the FJR for daily commuting to work. I am sure I will figure out what works best for me but I was just curious as to what you all do...

TIA!!!
Normally off. I have a Famsa tank bag system that holds just about everything I need for short day trips. The side cases don't get mounted unless there's something to actually put in them.

I take them off to change rear tire or to clean up. Other than that they live on the bike. I add the top box and a tank bag for trips.

99.9% of the time on. The right side bag has all my emergency stuff (raingear, tire inflation, plastic bags, hat, towels, spray cleaner, bike cover, tools) and the left side is for the stuff specific to the reason I'm riding (lunch, work stuff, things I needed to pick up on errands, camera, clothes, etc.). I've probably ridden the bike without the bags less than 5 times in the close to 4 years I've owned it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIA!!!
I use to take them off for just running around but every time I turned around I would have to use the bike for a grocerie getter so now I just leave them on all the time.

I keep them on most of the time. There just too convenient for extra layers of cloths, food, cleaners, bike cover, and stashing your helmet when you have to stop.

ATBATT(All The Bags All The Time)

Those sidecases are your rear "sliders" you know...........
In addition.... they have been known to protect the lower extremities in case of accidents AND

Everyone knows... BAGGERS can't go fast, if you know what I mean!

Off almost all the time, which is generally local commutes. I like the handling of the bike better without them. I use a cortech tail bag for carrying things.

99.9% of the time on. The right side bag has all my emergency stuff (raingear, tire inflation, plastic bags, hat, towels, spray cleaner, bike cover, tools) and the left side is for the stuff specific to the reason I'm riding (lunch, work stuff, things I needed to pick up on errands, camera, clothes, etc.). I've probably ridden the bike without the bags less than 5 times in the close to 4 years I've owned it.

What Groo said. Same here.

GP

I run a E52 Givi and bags off,,,, that is for local riding... Longer that that..... all on.. Local means if two up missis has something to lean on. and I can pop my helmet and gloves in it running around town

Off I like the handling of the bike better without them.
Likewise. Sans bags a good bit of the time, especially during the summer. I use a small tailbag fastened to my Givi rack if I’m only carrying a few necessities. If I need more storage space I usually attach the Givi “V46”.

Side bags on 100% of the time. I prefer the way the bike handles with them on.

Top bag on 90% of the time.

On 98%+ of the time.

Two reasons:

1) You completely crush the ego of the throttle brapping R6-running squid when you fill his rear views with huge freaking saddle bags all the way down to the bottom of the valley, where he makes a right at the first available stop sign.

-and-

B ) A sport bike and a bagger are cruising down the same highway at the same speed. Who gets the performance award? 'Zackly.

Off most of the time, I like the streamlined look. I'll put them on only when I have purpose which is usually in the winter carrying extra gear.

Ron