Jacket (CyclePort/Motoport) Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allnight

Lead cat herder
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=106882, and was rather worried at first. However, after reading the whole thread, I'm not regretting ordering the Kevlar suit.

I ordered a jacket from Wayne a week or so ago, shortly before we starting having these triple digit temps in the Bay Area.

I'm glad to see all the positives listed by everyone on that thread. Yes, the negatives are easy to point out (and valuable too), but seeing positives helps.

Since I'm a larger guy, I'm not getting one of the pre-made jackets, and he's building it for me...hence the 5-6 weeks he said it would be. Seeing the suggestions in that thread, of things like swapping the snaps on the sleeves for velcro, made me think I should ask what people think.

What kinds of suggestions do you people have for jacket mods? I asked for the reflector strip to be added across the back and down both sleeves. What else would you recommend? If I get some suggestions that I like, I'll call and see if I can ask for some changes, and if not, maybe I'll pay for them after I take delivery.

So, the list of things I picked out of that other thread is:

- change the sleeve "tighteners" from the snaps to velcro

- add water proof pocket to outer-most jacket...in case rain hits without the liner, and so there is a pocket outside the liner

- some kind of zipper/button resolution when the jacket is unzipped from the bottom, so it doesn't scratch the tank

I haven't ordered pants, figured I'd get the jacket first, see how I like it, before deciding whether or not to do the kevlar there as well. So, suggestions for those as well.

Thanks!

Hi Alnight,

I've had Wayne's kevlar mesh pants and 3/4 jacket for a couple of years and more. My two cents:

1. A waterproof pocket sounds like a great idea, but the downside is that you've just put a place in your jacket that will no longer flow air. This may not be an issue for you, but in summer in the central valleys, more air is good air.
  2. I had Wayne put in stout hanging loops inside the waistband and the jacket collar. A hanger isn't always handy.
  3. I wasn't too partial to wearing his logo everywhere, so I had him omit that. I suppose I could have asked him to substitute the words "jacket" and "pants" suitably to avoid any possibility of confusion. :D
I've been very happy with this product and wouldn't hesitate on ordering it again. They only bummer was that it took 3 months from my order to its delivery, so I must have hit him at a time when he had a large order in the queue.

If you are getting the 3/4 cut, I would suggest looking at the Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, which is a waist cut, for a cuff solution. I really like the solution for the sleeves at the cuff. They have a Velcro adjustment and a zipper. With the zipper closed you can adjust the Velcro to give you the fit you want. Then all that is required to exit the jacket is to open the zippers and you have plenty of room to slide out of the sleeves. When you put it on again, you just close the zippers and you have a nice, snug fit that you can put a gauntlet glove over. If he could put this combo on the 3/4 cut it would make for a dandy solution.

I wear the Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, welcome to check it out if you want. You're local. Send a PM if interested.

I was just looking at my motorport jacket a couple of days ago wondering what I would change if I were buying it now. The only things I could come up with were the following two:

First off, I have seldom used the pockets on the jacket, and mine has four. I would probably opt to remove the two lower pockets. Granted, this is a vanity option only. My sis-in-law picked up one like that last weekend, and it looks alot better to my eye.

Second, since my jacket is "bone stock" off his shelf, it doesn't have any of small pockets on the sleeves. I would probably add one on the lower right arm.

As far as the "scratching the tank" issue, I'm not sure there is a fix other than tank protectors of some flavor. I installed a Second Skin tank bra for this reason. But I'll be watching this post to see if there is an option for the mesh jacket.

I would pass on the thermal jacket liner, as Poly fleece is better at insulating and more fashionable when worn off the bike. YMMV.

I agree with TC. Pass on the thermo liners and go to a ski/outdoor shop and get better/lighter/less bulky gear.

I had Wayne leave off the chest pockets as I would never use them and I do wish I had him leave off the hand warmer pockets as I just don't use pockets in my jackets.

The cuff is made different from what is standard. I requested no adjuster in favor of making the cuff tighter to make the cuff less bulk for gloves. If you think about it, leather jackets mostly have only a zipper. At first he said that he wouldn't change it for me, but when the jacket arrives voila (sp) no adjuster, but he did put a velcro keeper over the zipper. I may remove this.

I find a straght pant vs an over pant a more comfortable option. After I see how I have grown to eally like the police kevlar pant, I don't see how I would be able to cope with one of their jeans. I wear boots and the side zipper is absolutly necessary for getting my boots on, I do not see how you could do this with the jeans that have no side zipper, unless the shin/knee armor is different.

Those who are for the untimate in satefy may diagree, but if I knew what I do now, I would still get the police kevlar pant , but drop the hip pads. As these are pants and not overpants, sit down bathroom stops are a real excercise in gymnastics with those pads keeping you from....well....dropping trau and reclining in a manner fit for a king. ;)

He sends an information sheet about adjusting/triming the armor and I have had to make a few adjustments per the destructions, so don't be suprised if you have to trim the pads.

The one complaint that I have about fit, and Wayne will take care of it if I ever get around to sending it back is the fit in the waist. With the adjusters pulled all the way in, it is still like wearing a dress. There is simply too much material about my belly and waist and not enough adjustment. With the full circumference zipper, it makes for a strange looking pooch up front. What will be done is to take loose the waist band and front zipper and take a full inch to inch-and-a-half out at the waist tapering to nothing at the top of the zipper or there abouts. I really like the control I had over the garments production and that the manufacturer will be making the alterations. It seems like they took my word when it came to waist size for the pants but did not believe me when It came to the jacket.

I am really glad I found Cycleport. I am basically a satisfied customer.

Here is what I added to my jacket.

1 - Extra map pocket

2 - Key pocket on my left forearm

3 - Reflective stips on the arms

4 - "Emergency Information" pocket.

He will send you some red stretch Kevlar and you will need to get "Emergency Information" embroidered on it and send it bad. He charged me nothing for this option, and it cost me $7 to get it embroidered and shipped back.

5 - Extra neck snap

With only the two standards snaps it was to loose or to tight when I was layering during the winter. With the three snapo I have now it is easy to layer.

6 - Shorten jacket length by 1.5 inchs.

When I sit on the bike it is not under my butt now

Here are some pics on the emergency pocket

PICT0289.JPG

PICT0290.JPG

Here is the info in the pocket:

PICT0291.JPG

PICT0292.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: