ODI has started official investigation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripntx

Reaction score
This is a duplicate of what I posted above in the sticky on page 12.

Here ya go, ODI has officially initiated an investigate:

ODI resume

clicky

2006A

2006AE

2007 fjr13

Summary: ODI has received fourteen allegations of FJR1300 engine stalling while underway due to an an

ignition switch failure. In some instances, cycling the switch will allow re-start. FJRforum.com has

numerous threads alleging the same issue.

To gather more information about this subject, we are opening this PE.

Resume E-mailed to Yamaha, 8-12-2008 @ ~ 10::45A

Interesting how they referenced the forum as a basis for complaints/info.

Glad to see NHTSA getting involved. I bet Yammie is already working on it, but a bit of govt. pressure sure couldn't hurt.

Which may or may not be a good thing. Yamaha could take the "it's another one of those Internet enthusiast forum myths" position like BMW has done on final drive failures and be done with it. And since nobody's died (yet), no harm, no foul right? :glare:

Glad to see NHTSA getting involved. I bet Yammie is already working on it, but a bit of govt. pressure sure couldn't hurt.
I am pretty sure Bob Young was the guy there I talked to about the issues with all the differant model numbers. I just decided not to mention his name on the forum at the time as I did not want people looking him up and calling him. Bob and I talked about the forum and a link to the ignition failure thread was in my email about the differant model numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sincerely hope Yamaha does do the right thing. I realize it's expensive, but this is a very dangerous, potentially deadly defect.

I was even able to track my complaint; I think I was the first documented failure.

Make: YAMAHA Model: FJR1300A Year: 2006 Complaint Number: 10194733 Summary: IGNITION SWITCH FAILURE ON 2006 YAMAHA MOTORCYCLE MODEL NUMBER FJR 1300A RESULTED IN SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER IN A CORNER AND STRANDED IN DEATH VALLEY, NEVADA. FOUR WIRES ENTER THE SWITCH HOUSING. ONE OF THE TWO LARGE WIRES PULLED COMPLETELY OUT OF THE SWITCH, WITH THE BRASS SWITCH CONTACT STILL SOLDERED/CRIMPED ON THE END. THIS FAILURE *APPEARS* TO BE THE RESULT OF THE WIRING HARNESS BEING STRETCHED TOO TIGHT DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS. THE WIRES GOING INTO THE SWITCH HAVE NO SLACK, THEY ARE 'BANJO STRING TIGHT'.

Only 14 logged complaints?? Those who haven't filed a complaint yet really need to in order to speed this process along.

Lemme know when the "Buzz" line starts forming up. As to the lack of responses, keep in mind that, like the tick before it, not every problem that surfaces affects every bike-probably why manufacturers are slow to accede to demands for repair/recall etc.

I have a couple of problems that may or may not be related to this particular issue. My bike will stall occasionally when I roll on throttle from a dead stop. I've seen some other posts related to this, but haven't seen anything like a recall. In any case I added my complaint on the nhtsa website. Anyone else have or, even better, resolve the 'throttle blip stall' issue?

I have a couple of problems that may or may not be related to this particular issue. My bike will stall occasionally when I roll on throttle from a dead stop. I've seen some other posts related to this, but haven't seen anything like a recall. In any case I added my complaint on the nhtsa website. Anyone else have or, even better, resolve the 'throttle blip stall' issue?
Yes, but it's not an ignition issue.

It shouldn't be happening. Look around, just yesterday I read a thread my a member who solved the exact problem you have on his 08 by adding a Power Commander PCIII. You shouldn't have to add that to solve the problem, but at least you know it will.

What's your idle speed?

BTW, this is an inappropriate place for your problem. Please start a new thread if you would like to discuss it further.

As of today NTSB has upgraded this to an engineering analysis. They have found enough info from Yamaha to think there is a problem and taken it to the next step in the process to a potential recall.

"And since nobody's died (yet), no harm, no foul right?"

That's not really the case. It doesn't take someone's death to make them pay attention, but they will listen to $$$.

Dealer price on that part times warranty claims = money spent. Unfortunately, with the relatively low volume of FJRs, even a relatively high fail rate might not stir them up; especially in the face of other, higher volume / cost market issues.

Still, ODI does get attention.

As of today NTSB has upgraded this to an engineering analysis. They have found enough info from Yamaha to think there is a problem and taken it to the next step in the process to a potential recall.
Sorry, but this one's not the job of the NTSB. The following link is to what is still the current status:

Clicky

Latest posts