A Quicky Pt.3--- Payback Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzzip

Reaction score
I remember working some pretty long hours in the dead of night and lousy weather, and thinking, "Someday I'm gonna get payback for this!"

So with the promise of cooler temps, no rain and lower humidity for more than 48 hours, I decided to go in search of one of those "payback days" by heading to Iowa and Wisconsin....

I was wanting to see the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa which was about 3 hours up the road. I left early in the morning and ran the "Avenue of the Saints" (St. Louis to St. Paul) as far as Iowa City on mostly 4 lane, and cut off on 2 lane to Anamosa. For $7 I got to roam the museum which is mostly full of old Harlys and HD parts, motors, etc. It does however have bikes like Vincents, BSA, BMW, Indian, Ducs, and much more. Worth the money, even if you are not into HD.

Bud Ekins' bike painted by Von Dutch

100_0645.jpg

100_0643.jpg

Steve McQueen's bike

100_0659.jpg

100_0657.jpg

Fonda says this is the original movie bike, but I have read articles saying nope...

100_0660.jpg

A reproduction

100_0661.jpg

This record setter was powered by 2 Yamaha 650's---

100_0650.jpg

A really farkled up FJR...

100_0652.jpg

I took many photos, but it was time to hit the road and get in some more miles. I headed for Dubuque, Iowa and up the Mississippi to Prairie du Chien via some scenic roads...

100_0669.jpg

100_0671.jpg

I crossed the bridge into Wisconsin and made it to Boscobel and called it a night after 400 miles. Nice town, but cuisine challenged. We'll see what tomorrow brings...

Well now.... it's 50 degrees and I look out the motel room window to see this...

100_0673.jpg

I ride anyway, and the fog lifts later to a bright day with nice temps.

100_0674.jpg

I ride down to Spring Green to check out Frank Lloyd Wright's "Taliesin", but decide the $47 tour ticket, and 2 hour wait is going to cut into too much of my day, so I am satisfied with a couple of photos and a look see at the information center...

100_0678.jpg

100_0680.jpg

100_0681.jpg

I like trees....

100_0683.jpg

A local says rich "weekend warriors" from CHI-kag-go build these nice little cabins...

100_0685.jpg

I'm always impressed with the beautiful churches in all the little towns, so I have to grab a photo... the occasional cemetery reminds me I probably have more days behind me than ahead...

100_0686.jpg

Gays Mill where I stop for lunch. They had extensive flooding of their Main Street a few months ago from this little stream...

100_0689.jpg

Some kind of bog flower... only noticed them in one valley and I rode 3 or 4...

100_0696.jpg

100_0697.jpg

Make it back to Boscobel after 300 miles and go in search of food, and as luck would have it... there is a liquor store right next door to the motel.

I decide today was one of my "payback" days. I rode with no destination in mind on excellent roads in excellent weather, made some wrong turns without caring because you can't go wrong with any of the roads in SW Wisconsin, and found people want to stop and chat when you ride alone. A good night's sleep--- with an open window for a change, and I am ready for another day, and the ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now.... it's 45 degrees this morning, but I am heading south so it has to warm up a little right? I make it about 35 miles and have to have some coffee. I see a sign saying fresh baked goods on a restaurant on the main street of Fennimore and have to stop. They make a fine cream cheese turnover and the coffee is good. The place is packed with "seasoned citizens" and one lady comes to the table to ask me where I got my riding boots (Tour Masters)-- she wants a pair like them-- she is about 65. Great place to pick up women, I can see, you betcha'. Not making many miles but having a good time.

I liked their library. It was across the street.

100_0701.jpg

I take some back roads (many are not listed on the state highway map even though they are paved and even striped in some cases) and end up in Mineral Point.

100_0703.jpg

100_0704.jpg

I look at some of the old restored houses belonging to miners from the early 1800's. Many came from Cornwall, England to the lead mines. There is a tour available. Some very interesting houses around town and the main street and historic district looks like it is booming. I hope to come back and spend more time.

100_0709.jpg

100_0713.jpg

100_0716.jpg

100_0722.jpg

South on 23 with some detours for road construction leads me to Shullsburg and lunch. Home of Schullsburg Creamery in operation since 1934. Shullburg is kind of a small version of Mineral Point, which is a small version of Galena, Il. I end up at the Water Street Pub, which was originally a bank building. It now has a B&B type of rooms above along with the bar and restaurant below.

100_0727.jpg

I have a "Pasty" which is reported to be what the Cornish miners put in their buckets for lunch. It is a hot pastry with beef, onions, and potatoes inside--- man food. And of course the usual side of coleslaw. In keeping with tradition and eating local white "soul food", I have an old traditional drink to go with it. "Fat Squirrel Ale" from just up the road at New Glarus.

100_0724.jpg

Off to Galena, Il. and on south via the "Great River Road".

Galena is very proud of General U.S. Grant, and they have a beautiful park with many statues and cannon. Jo Daviess county produced 5 generals in the Civil War, but Grant gets all the press. Grant's home is here, and the historic district is really eye catching.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

100_0729.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

I need to make some miles, so I get southbound.

IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Only to find the batteries have about had it in the camera. I get a final photo... which I think is rather fitting....

100_0730.jpg

Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug....

I had 3 great payback days. That's all folks.

B)

:bye:

Nice pictures. I grew up in the general area and haven't been back on a motorcycle. Maybe a trip from TX is deserved if I ever can fit it in.

Wisconsin sure looks nice when it's just been washed, guess we can stop calling it Lake Wisconsin now.

Nice photos zzzzip.

Hey Skip! Did I miss something? I thought you sold your FJR and bought an old airhead BMW?

Good to see you're back in the saddle. Unfortunately, my FJR will be turned over to it's new owner in a week or so. I'll miss it, but hardly any time to ride anyway, with two other bikes sitting in the garage right now.

At least Smitty was lured over to the dark side and has drank the BMW Koolaid. I can confirm that he is firmly under the trance now and I don't think there will ever be any turning back. (I'll probably eat those words in a few months!)

Wow zzzzip! What a treat!

Really nice photography, great commentary, and even a food and beverage pic! :D Perfect!

Excellent job.

I stopped in at that same museum in Anamosa about this time last year, on my way to Green Bay from here. I sort of stumbled across it, but seeing the signs, I had to stop.

Really cool, and yes, lots of non-Harley stuff there too!

Thanks for giving us a taste of your adventure.

Hey Skip! Did I miss something? I thought you sold your FJR and bought an old airhead BMW?
Good to see you're back in the saddle. Unfortunately, my FJR will be turned over to it's new owner in a week or so. I'll miss it, but hardly any time to ride anyway, with two other bikes sitting in the garage right now.

At least Smitty was lured over to the dark side and has drank the BMW Koolaid. I can confirm that he is firmly under the trance now and I don't think there will ever be any turning back. (I'll probably eat those words in a few months!)
Don't worry Steve...I'll bring some cheese and crackers to help those words go down more easily. :)

Small update to this old ride report:

The National Motorcycle Museum has moved from downtown Anamosa to a location on US 151 east of town. It has also expanded and looks to be in a bigger building on the south side of the highway. :)

Hey zzzzip, it took you almost 4 years to get back home and report the museum has moved??

BTW nice pics and report... :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts