Stall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dblhelix

Reaction score
Hi all,

Took the new bike out for another spin up PCH here in So Cal over the weekend. Again did Mullholland, Encinal, Latigo and nice sweepers up to Pt Mugu (for those who know the area). Feeling much more comfortable on this machine and love the way it handles overall. On the ride back in a bit of traffic on PCH I did some pretty minor down shifting and was giving the throttle a little blip to get the gears to mesh nicer and twice doing this stalled the bike. Hmm. Got home and from idle gave the bike a few blips up to 2500-3000 RPM and note a small hesitation followed in some instances with a stall. Is this some sort of expected performance issue related to fuel injection (never had an injected bike before) or is something not right? If I roll on the throttle nice and smooth no issues and seems really smooth, only noted with a quick blip. I am just over 2 weeks with the bike and at 400 miles (exactly!) after riding home from work tonight. Any suggestions on cause and/or action I should take? Love this bike but still in the "getting to know it" very early stages.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it's true or not because I'm mechanically challenged but when I went through the checklist with the mechanic who put my bike together he advised me not to rev (blip) the throttle while in neutral or with the clutch engaged. Something about the fuel injector or spark plugs fouling prematurely. Being that I'm mechanically challenged and he's Yamaha tech I'll listen to him. Plus it doesn't hurt to not rev the throttle. Other than that you may want to bump your idle up to 1100 rpm's if it's not set there already.

Hi all,
Took the new bike out for another spin up PCH here in So Cal over the weekend. Again did Mullholland, Encinal, Latigo and nice sweepers up to Pt Mugu (for those who know the area). Feeling much more comfortable on this machine and love the way it handles overall. On the ride back in a bit of traffic on PCH I did some pretty minor down shifting and was giving the throttle a little blip to get the gears to mesh nicer and twice doing this stalled the bike. Hmm. Got home and from idle gave the bike a few blips up to 2500-3000 RPM and note a small hesitation followed in some instances with a stall. Is this some sort of expected performance issue related to fuel injection (never had an injected bike before) or is something not right? If I roll on the throttle nice and smooth no issues and seems really smooth, only noted with a quick blip. I am just over 2 weeks with the bike and at 400 miles (exactly!) after riding home from work tonight. Any suggestions on cause and/or action I should take? Love this bike but still in the "getting to know it" very early stages.

Thanks
It is an inherant atribute to the 2008 FJR. There are many complaints about this issue. It can get dangerous at times. They are just leaned out to much. If you buy a PCIII and install it your problem will go away. It allows a richer fuel mixture and will eliminate the stall issue.

Good luck. WORKED FOR ME!

It is an inherant atribute to the 2008 FJR.They are just leaned out to much.
Not just the 08, the 06 & 07 have the same problem and probably the 09 as well.

Leaned out too much, not an excuse.

I have ridden may Euro3 compliant bikes, and none of them had any hesitation, in fact had no fuelling issues at all.

I had the same problem on my new '08. My idle was set to 900 like my '04 was, but it stalled. I upped the idle to 1100 and it seems to have fixed the problem, plus I now have over 2000 miles on it, so it may be breaking in a little bit now.

My '07 did the same thing. Increasing the idle from ~900 rpm to 1100 rpm took about ten seconds and cured the problem.

Same here, the dam bike died twice on me when I first had her when slowing for road junctions. Turned up the idle from what seemed just over 800 to just under 1100 no problem since......... Also just had the bike back from its first service throttle sync was ok so I put it down to a low idle speed.

It is an inherant atribute to the 2008 FJR.They are just leaned out to much.
Not just the 08, the 06 & 07 have the same problem and probably the 09 as well.

Leaned out too much, not an excuse.

I have ridden may Euro3 compliant bikes, and none of them had any hesitation, in fact had no fuelling issues at all.
Hmmmmmmmmm...I wonder if it really is just techs not setting idle correctly out of the shop. My '07 has never had this issue. I live at approx. 5500 ft. so you would think if it was a real problem, it would be prevalant around here. Mine has never stalled once. Taken it to the top of Independence Pass in Colorado twice, turned it off both times and restarted it, and it never stalled there either.

as stated before mine did this when new. keep the idle at 1100 and it will do it less and less then at about 1000 miles on mine it just went away. you could always throw a lot of money at it but many people have had good results just letting the bike break in and keeping it well tuned.

I have an 04 and was told by yamaha that I needed the tps recal performed. Haven't done it yet but I need to get it there soon. I just don't blip it any more.

Hi all,

Thanks
My 08 has the same problem every now and then. The Yamaha mechanic said that the engine idle needs to be bumped up a bit more or less what everyone else is saying. But there is another problem I encountered after riding I shut the bike down for a lunch or fuel stop. Try to start the engine but it won't run, open the throttle a little bit and it starts usually have to rev it to keep it running. This seems to happen at higher altitudes like up in the mountain of Utah or Salmon Id.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just one 2006 riders experience (~68k now)..

I've never had the throttle response problem you report.

I believe what you say is true, but I've not experienced that problem, and I regularly 'blip' for down shifts in tight corners.

I hope I'm just the lucky one for once. :rolleyes: