Lost Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIRHEAD#124

Reaction score
Power failure on Hwy; engine cut off; Hazard & hi beam lights on dash & gas; pulled off road to check, POWER to dash lights NO Fault on inst. pannel. no lights, horn, starter; after a few minutes restarted, ran great.

Has happened 2 times 2007 with 34,000mi

Started after conn. Heated vest & gloves, which worked fine; have since disconn.

Battery & charging sys, test ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Power failure on Hwy; engine cut off; Hazard & hi beam lights on dash & gas; pulled off road to check, POWER to dash lights NO Fault on inst. pannel. no lights, horn, starter; after a few minutes restarted, ran great.Has happened 2 times 2007 with 34,000mi

Started after conn. Heated vest & gloves, which worked fine; have since disconn.

Battery & charging sys, test ok.
Barrie -

Check all battery terminals and connection to ground. I had this happen once on 58 and it was a loose ground connection.

best,

give the ignition wire a jiggle and see if you can reproduce it with the bike running but not riding. if suspect the next step would be to tear into it. but jiggle first.

my 07 did it when the sidestand switch got corroded which road junk. once i disabled it was fine.

I would report it to Yamaha and perhaps adding it to the ignition system investigation, let them figure it out , so many things can cause it

I agree ignition switch check it out before your out 200 miles from home and it goes .

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem Fixed :yahoo: I hope :dribble:

Talked to Mechanic & was told that if your VOLTAGE DROPS BELOW 12.4 your Engine will SHUT DOWN; until battery recovery.

Then will operate normaly (after you disconnect accesories)

Had 2 leads off Battery 1 for charger & new one for heated gear.(leads were run from battery down faring & up NEAR ENGINE)

After time HEAT broke down leads & added Draw from using HEATED Gear; LOWERED VOLTAGE & ENGINE QUIT

Now I have ONLY 1 lead (heated gear) from battery box AVOIDING engine area & exposed to Cold Air

Yes I've had the IGNITION replaced; had power to INST. Guages but no VOLTAGE TO START :UNTIL BATTERY RECOVERED 2-5 minutes :angry2:

Lost POWER again while Riding. Engine shutdown; no power; inst: Flashing Gas guage;light on High Beam & hazard on.

Called local Dealer & Truck & trailer dispatched to pick me up. Fault Still on at Dealer ; Dealer is working with YAMAHA to

TROUBLE SHOOT Problem; will update link when (if ever) I get my BIKE back.

Losing Conifidence : May have to look into ANOTHER BIKE :angry2:

Had IGNATION changed earlier; could this be again?? But this time has LIGHTS on Inst. & flashing Gas guage.

Thank Goodness I was not in Danger in these Power Losses, BUT I'M LOSING FAITH in my FJR :angry:

Now using my BMW R100RT (1990) & loving the SIMPLER Life :yahoo:

Lost POWER again while Riding. Engine shutdown; no power; inst: Flashing Gas guage;light on High Beam & hazard on.
Called local Dealer & Truck & trailer dispatched to pick me up. Fault Still on at Dealer ; Dealer is working with YAMAHA to

TROUBLE SHOOT Problem; will update link when (if ever) I get my BIKE back.

Losing Conifidence : May have to look into ANOTHER BIKE :angry2:

Had IGNATION changed earlier; could this be again?? But this time has LIGHTS on Inst. & flashing Gas guage.

Thank Goodness I was not in Danger in these Power Losses, BUT I'M LOSING FAITH in my FJR :angry:

Now using my BMW R100RT (1990) & loving the SIMPLER Life :yahoo:
Airhead,

Sounds like the electrical problems I have been having with my 2006 AE!

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about replacing the FJR with a BMW 1300 GT when they are available. I can get all the farkles I want like cruise control / heated etc. installed at the factory and not have to worry about this problem.... just other problems :blink: !

Best Regards,

Shane

Several people above have already told you to check the ignition switch. There is an open recall on '06 or '09 models because of a faulty ignition switch that will cause the engine to die and not re-start. There are two seperate circuits, so it's possible for part of the electrical system (dash) to work while other parts don't (engine management, etc).

It's easy to "lose faith" in a machine when you let problems linger and don't check all the options.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Barry. My bet is the switch is failing again.

Did you take the bike to a factory dealer?

Dealer is replacing ENTIRE WIRING HARNESS :yahoo: Thankyou "Y E S" ins:
Did Yes give you any SHIT about your accessories? They seem to be the focal point on my bike's problems!

Best Regards,

Shane
NOT YET :angry: But I wouldn't be surprised <_< But I think my Local Dealer is fighting a Good fight for me

Just to clarify, this is NOT an ignition switch issue if there is ANY power to other accessories, such as the dash lights, etc.

Guys, I am starting to see a lot of 06-07s come into the shop with this problem (work at a Yamaha dealer). What I have found is there is a coupler where several grounds come together on the wiring harness (actually there are several of them). Anyways. if the tank is propped up with the t bar and heat shield removed the connector that I have seen fail is located in the far left corner. Below the frame rail, and near the cooling line that goes thru the valve cover. Usually the connector is melted, and the primary ground is lost, causing current to travel through other circuits to ground. Hence the crazy flaser and high beam indicator lights that usually illuminate.

groundconnector.jpg

Guys, I am starting to see a lot of 06-07s come into the shop with this problem (work at a Yamaha dealer). What I have found is there is a coupler where several grounds come together on the wiring harness (actually there are several of them). Anyways. if the tank is propped up with the t bar and heat shield removed the connector that I have seen fail is located in the far left corner. Below the frame rail, and near the cooling line that goes thru the valve cover. Usually the connector is melted, and the primary ground is lost, causing current to travel through other circuits to ground. Hence the crazy flaser and high beam indicator lights that usually illuminate.
groundconnector.jpg
This is a first for me.

I've never seen this on the forum before. Anyone? :unsure:

(don't you just love camera phones) :blink: