Riding at SFO #5

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrrider

aka "sprocket"
Reaction score
This year at the SFO, JJones, Glory Racing, The Peek Bros, and Nick (Al and Renee's Nick). We will be making a little whirlwind tour of the area.

Friday, Glory Racing (Mark) will take us on a little "Arkansas and Missouri Combo Tour". This will include the ever popular Ferry Ride across Bull Shoals Lake, 125, a few of the alphabet roads, and Arkansas 14 to name just a few. Lunch that day will depend on how much money JJones brings, (hes buying again!) :lol:

Saturday will be "The Best of Arkansas Tour" which is mostly south and east of Eureka Springs. Hwys 21, 16, 123, 27, 74 maybe 341 (Push Mtn). We will avoid as much of 62 and 65 as possible and minimize travel on 7. I know 7 is a great road, and it is. Just too much heavy traffic. The Cliff House is always a popular lunch stop.

These will be longer rides 350+/- miles and can be easily shortened if you so choose. The GPS routes posted else where are good, the premium here is placed on major twisty routes and will involve a minimum to none major hwy miles.

A few notes of interest. These rides are just a few options for SFO attendees. as stated earlier you can ride (or not) any way you see fit. We just want you back for supper and all rides will be back in time for whatever Michelle is cooking that night! What are you cooking Michelle?

Group ride notes. #1 Please keep proper spacing between bikes! (loud pipes and a big heard dont work to well in the twisties)

As a group we will always regroup at major intersections to make sure everyones accounted for. If the group is large enough we may split it up. I will provide GPS routes ASAP (just give me some time) I will also provide those things that come all folded up and have writing and such on them. I forget what there called, anyway.

There will be many ways to shorten these routes up for those less motivated, we just need to know who will ride a shorter version so we want miss you at group checks.

Again, everyones is certainly welcome to ride what, when and how they choose. It does make it a little easier if one of our lambs dont make it back, where we may need to start looking, or at least close

SFO has enjoyed an outstanding safety record over its 4 event history (at least no serious injuries to human bodies) everyone has walked away from the few crashes that have happened, I believe!

For SFO #5 we want 0 get offs this year! :yahoo:

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post up.

Scott Tipton

Last edited by a moderator:
Group ride notes. #1 Please keep proper spacing between bikes! (loud pipes and a big heard dont work to well in the twisties)Scott Tipton
A big heard of what? Loud ass fjrs? If and when I actually show up for this shindig...you guys don't mind me downing a half a pint of jim beam before the ride, do ya?

Sounds great:

My only two comments is I like to stop every 60-90 minutes for a break of some kind; butt break, bathroom visit, gas stop, drink of water, adjustment of MP3/Ipod, wipe the sneeze residue out of helmet, meal or snack.

Even a short 15 minutes is appreciated.

My riding podna in crime, as well as some others, are not on a Feejer and I know Brian's cruiser doesn't have the gas range we do. Gas stops would have to be shortened accordingly. I think his comfortable range is 150 miles, while mine is 200.

Is it May yet ???

Mike in Nawlins'

I'm sure that "baby wipes" will be supplied, patriot. I'll personally mail up some monkey butt powder someone sent me to help you out in your woes.

I'm sure that "baby wipes" will be supplied, patriot. I'll personally mail up some monkey butt powder someone sent me to help you out in your woes.
that's why I have the 7 liter tank bag...to carry my fuze mp3 and my large supply of Monkey Butt powder and Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Wouldn't leave home without it along with my Sargeant Seat with Airhawk Air Pad on top. Sensitive cheeks and all...

Group ride notes. #1 Please keep proper spacing between bikes! (loud pipes and a big heard dont work to well in the twisties)Scott Tipton
A big heard of what? Loud ass fjrs? If and when I actually show up for this shindig...you guys don't mind me downing a half a pint of jim beam before the ride, do ya?
Half a pint?.........you mine as well stay home and sew some more lace on your pantys! :lol:

Sounds great:
My only two comments is I like to stop every 60-90 minutes for a break of some kind; butt break, bathroom visit, gas stop, drink of water, adjustment of MP3/Ipod, wipe the sneeze residue out of helmet, meal or snack.

Even a short 15 minutes is appreciated.

My riding podna in crime, as well as some others, are not on a Feejer and I know Brian's cruiser doesn't have the gas range we do. Gas stops would have to be shortened accordingly. I think his comfortable range is 150 miles, while mine is 200.

Is it May yet ???

Mike in Nawlins'
As long as we know that some riders are going to stop more frequently, we wont try to account for them on the road. We will look for you that evening, if you dont beat us back. Both routes will have ample gas ops.

Its not May yet, but its gettin closer! :yahoo:

Dont goof on the monkey butt powder, the stuff works! :D

I really need to do Push Mtn this year. I wanted to last year but did the trip up to Branson and the ferry instead. I wanna stop/eat at The Hub.

If anyone else does Push Mountain, be sure to check out this website when you get home! Just looking back at Nov and Oct, I already found several FJRs on it.

I am thinking we may can get push mountain in on Friday afternoon...or morning. Where is the hub?

I'am thinking maybe she is talking about the resturant by the river where Hwy 9,5,14 run togather at Allison dont really know,I ride all over that area all the time but that dosen't ring a bell with me.

LDR1

I really need to do Push Mtn this year. I wanted to last year but did the trip up to Branson and the ferry instead. I wanna stop/eat at The Hub.
If anyone else does Push Mountain, be sure to check out this website when you get home! Just looking back at Nov and Oct, I already found several FJRs on it.
Michelle if you want to do Push on Friday, there is no reason why we cant. As a group we could bop on over there first thing Friday A.M. ride Push, maybe have some lunch in Mt Home. Those who wanted to get on back (SFO coordinators and such)could take 62/65 back to Eureka, its about 100 miles or so.

Snuffy the photographer for "Push Mtn Pics" is a real nice guy to work with, and I'm sure he would set up for us on Friday, group pic and all. I will call him and get it set up if we have a good handful of riders.

My avatar was taken by snuffy on Push Mtn (341) at SFO #3.

I believe "The Hub" is on 7 just south of Harrison near Dogpatch, is that the one your talking about?

I would love to ride with you guys for once, after all these years! LOL But I seriously wasn't trying to change your plans or anything. I guess I was just rambling out loud really. I was kinda lazy last year and hung around the hotel a lot, but this year I wanna ride and see something I haven't yet. So I figured if I said something out loud, that would get me locked into some plans with somebody.

Yeah, the Hub is on 7 near Dogpatch. I heard about it last year or even before and thought it would cool to stop at. I was reading on CruiseTheOzarks.com a loop that goes right past it. I can't remember what I have in our GPS files for Push Mtn but I'm sure there is a route in there for Push Mtn. So I was gonna compare the 2 and some point and see what's doable. I would prolly need to be back around 4-5 pmish for Rallymistress duties.

We should definitely call Snuffy and let him know we're in town and some folks might be riding past there over the weekend. That would be cool to have some action shots of us all! Would you mind giving him a head's up about the rally Scott?

But really guys, don't change your plans for me, I'll find someone to ride with I'm sure. If y'all were gonna do the ferry and MS on Friday, then go ahead. Obviously it would be nice to go with someone who knows where they are going but I'm pretty good with maps, so I'm not worried.

Now my heart is breakin!!!! Can't make the trip this year because of work, but I really miss riding this particular loop with you guys! Damm damm damm damm damm!

Flapsup

Buying lunch again?? Better be somewhere cheap considering the state of the economy. How do I get stuck with that every year.

Michelle, we would love to have you with us for once. I will be driving up Friday morning so will have to catch you somewhere on the route. Maybe at the start of Push mountain.

Joey

Dang I'm so bummed to hear that Jim! I was wondering what was up with you since you hadn't registered yet. Sucks you can't make it, but work is a very good reason to have to miss something, especially nowadays.

Should I go ahead and register you Joey? Yeah, we'll meet up with you somewhere along the way. I'm really excited about this ride. I'm hoping to learn a thing or 2 from you guys but I'm guessing I won't be able to keep up at all! :lol:

Snuffy from pushmountainpics.com will be out if it is good weather on Friday and Saturday, May 1st and 2nd. He will set up on HWY 341 (Push Mountain Road) just south of Mt Home AR.

There are some absolutely fantastic twisty roads between Eureka Springs and Push, if your up to ridin all day in the twisties.

Friday Route (maybe). AM - Meander across the Arkansas/Missouri border, take the ferry over. Ride on down through Mt Home to Push Mountain Road. From Push Mountain back to Eureka, if the day is getting a bit weary, you can take 62/65 (main hwy) back. This would be about 250 miles +/-, add another 100 miles to that if you take an Arkansas all twisty route back. (What do you think about this Michelle?)

When we find Snuffy we will need to take some xtra time for multiple passes, group shots while riding and of course the one big group shot if we can.

The best thing is this, we can do this all over again on Saturday and ride completly different twisty roads over there and back. Even if your not interested in any pics, the route over there and back still puts you on the best twisty roads in Arkansas.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a handful of us, that will ride and stay in the twisties all day (no main hwys). If you feel up to this type of riding, your more than welcome to join in, just let me know.

DISCLAIMER: This is only a suggestion. If someone were to choose the full Monty, it would be a 350 +/- mile day easy.

If your not accustomed to all day twisty riding, consider a full morning of the fun stuff, while your fresh, and do a easy route back to ES in the evening.

Scott

I think having the option for an easier route back is a great idea! I remember the first year we did SFO, after having lunch at the Cliff House, I was exhausted and full. I couldn't ride worth a crap on the way back. Sometimes it just sneaks up on ya, so this is a very good idea. Thanks Scott!

Latest posts