What Do You Call an '05 FJR Without Gasoline?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
A hunk of shiny metal.... :angry2:

So coming home tonight, on a 6-lane divided arterial 4 miles from the barn, I thread my way up to the front of the stop light between the mass of metal 4-wheeled cages all around me. I am Superman and they are puny earthlings. They disgust me! :glare:

The light turns green, and I engage the controls with my typical amazing dexterity of the type that makes my fellow motorcyclists weep to behold and my blue steed fly ahead of the pitiful mortals.

I get 20 feet out ahead and...bleeeeeeeech. I ain't got nothin'. Someone threw kryptonite my way. The fiend! It's all I can do to get to the side before a thousand tons of steel and plastic goes over the top of me in the rush to get home first.

So here's what I figure: I get about 32 (shitty little) miles to the gallon. So if the reserve is a gallon and a half roughly, I ought to get at least into the 40s on my reserve tripometer. Add to my optimism the fact that all you liars out there claim you get 142 miles to the gallon and stuff like that (the same ones who want a 6th gear--me, I cruise the freeway in 4th at 6 or 7 K).

My motorcycle has just turned into a useless (and very heavy!) object of art. And I had only 38 miles on my reserve tripometer. F**k!

------------------------

Epilogue: I waved down a utility pick-up truck. The guy slows, and I ask if he's got any gas. He says no, but his shop is half a mile away; he'll be right back. Great. While waiting I notice a gardner working a blower a couple blocks away. Gasoline! But soon Mr. Truck comes back. I fill up the tank, then ask George (my new best friend) how I can repay him. "Don't worry about it," he says with a smile, packs up, and pulls away with a wave.

I love people. (It's mankind I can't stand.... :rolleyes: )

Jb

Last edited by a moderator:
JB ~

Not meaning to belabor the obvious, but wouldn't you improve your MPG significantly if you at least gave 5th gear a bit of a try on the FWY rather than running at the higher R's in 4th... just sayin' :rolleyes:

Glad you ran into (perhaps a poor choice of words given your recent attempt at suicide in the front of the madding mob at the stop light) a nice service type guy who was willing to help. In my experience from my years in Cali, they can seem few and far between!

Glad you weren't trampled by the herd!

Don

Heh, Superman's still using gasoline huh? I fill my tank with environmentally friendly grain alcohol and a dash of trout squeezins and haven't had to fill up yet after 15,900 miles. Sheesh...

Was that Utitlity Truck Blue with a white lower border, with an

ampersand of goldenrod in the logo? did it have gas meters

in the back? That is one helluva great utitlity! At least you

got to look cool along side the road with your FJR as

opposed to trying to push the damn thing!

FWFE

martini humor!

What do you call a FJR without gasoline?....One very heavy workout weight :yahoo: ......so what's the prize? :rolleyes: .....

a nice service type guy who was willing to help. In my experience from my years in Cali, they can seem few and far between!
I've had the opposite experience in"Cali."

This place is crawling with damn good folks. Lots and lots of 'em.

Glad it went well for you JB.

But I'm surprised to read this. You seem to always have gas. :D

I'm an expert on this subject. The fuel pickup is not at the rear of the tank, so grabbing a big handful of throttle or heading up a steep hill can cause the engine to cut out when you're low on gas. In other words, Hans, ya probably coulda started it up again and made it home if ya wasn't playing drag racer with the cages.

Shoulda went with the blower gas, blue smoke from 2 stroke gas out of a blue bike woulda been color coordinated. :p

... ya wasn't playing drag racer with the cages.
That's no challenge, so no fun.

Now, I overtook a Maserati last Sunday. That was FUN.

Mind you, he didn't know I was about to overtake him, so he only put his foot down as I came alongside. He couldn't have heard me, his exhaust was soooo LOUD. Don't you just hate vehicles with LOUD exhausts? :blink:

I'm an expert on this subject. The fuel pickup is not at the rear of the tank, so grabbing a big handful of throttle or heading up a steep hill can cause the engine to cut out when you're low on gas. In other words, Hans, ya probably coulda started it up again and made it home if ya wasn't playing drag racer with the cages.
I know what you mean. The first surge I had was on the off-ramp as I came onto the arterial. After pulling over like I described, I managed to goose it about a half a mile before it finally gave up the ghost for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, Superman's still using gasoline huh? I fill my tank with environmentally friendly grain alcohol and a dash of trout squeezins and haven't had to fill up yet after 15,900 miles. Sheesh...
Tree hugger hippie!

I just go into my back yard where I have my own oil well (that I drilled through a polar bears head) and fill up my FJR with pure West Texas crude oil and I get about 4 mpg but I don't care cause it will last me the rest of my life and screw the next generation.

I TOLD you the 05's were slower. Now do you believe me??

Hmmm wonder why you millage is so crappy, I have always gotten 41-43 ( yes I do have a right wrist problem too) except on the race track. Close to 50+ on trips above 6K feet.

Next time, just pick up pebbles offa the side of the road, and drop them into your tank, one by one. Eventually, they'll raise the level inside so the fuel pickup is back under the gas level. Hell, my gas tank is full of pebbles and I NEVER run out of gas. You're welcome.