Dealer performs hack job!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KtownFJR

Reaction score
Stopped at my local dealer to make an appointment to get ignition switch recall performed. The service manager said they had the switch in stock and had done three already. I figured that this was good, should know how to do it by now. Brought the bike in the next week and they did it in a day. Everything looked good when I picked up the bike, (no dings in the tank, etc).

When I got home I noticed that the brake line and wiring on the right side of the triple clamp were outside of the retaining hoop. I figured that I would just fix it myself. After I corrected that issue I decided that I would check the other wire routing with the diagrams in the service manual. The mechanic routed the new ignition switch wires incorrectly also. The result was that when the handle bars were turned right, the ignition wires were drawn very tight around the steering stem. They also reinstalled the heat shield under the tank wrong.

My suggestion to everyone is to check the wire routing after this service. Make sure all the wiring is secure and not binding. Check with the manual if you have one.

Stopped at my local dealer to make an appointment to get ignition switch recall performed. The service manager said they had the switch in stock and had done three already. I figured that this was good, should know how to do it by now. Brought the bike in the next week and they did it in a day. Everything looked good when I picked up the bike, (no dings in the tank, etc).
When I got home I noticed that the brake line and wiring on the right side of the triple clamp were outside of the retaining hoop. I figured that I would just fix it myself. After I corrected that issue I decided that I would check the other wire routing with the diagrams in the service manual. The mechanic routed the new ignition switch wires incorrectly also. The result was that when the handle bars were turned right, the ignition wires were drawn very tight around the steering stem. They also reinstalled the heat shield under the tank wrong.

My suggestion to everyone is to check the wire routing after this service. Make sure all the wiring is secure and not binding. Check with the manual if you have one.
EXACTLY. Always double and triple check. It's your hide on the line. Great reminder, thanks.

My stealership tossed me the new ignition and I did it at the house myself. I just couldn't get any of my punches next to the number where they dictated to put a punch mark showing the recall had been done. I hate taking my bike to the stealers for that very experience you just mentioned.

If you get time, read some similar stories pinned under the tech/mech problems section. Thought I was safe to take it in under recall. Now I'm learning-to-learn how to do as much of my own work as I can.

My dealer got the front and rear wheels mixed up, and somehow got them to fit. I mean, front drive was cool and all, but..................

Last edited by a moderator:
Great taking mine in today so they can complete the recall on the ignition, hoping they will allow me to assist in the process? Highly doubt it but cannot harm anyone by asking!!!

KtownFJR, it would be a good idea to stop in at the dealer and let them know how crappy the work was. It's probably too late, but a couple of pictures would help make your case. If they have a careless technician they should be made aware of it before that guy kills someone.

Also, maybe a post in the dealer feedback section on this forum so other members can avoid that dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, be very careful. My total of damage for the ignition fix is:

* ding in pipe near passenger footrest

* ding in tank near ignition

* cables outside cable keeper

* scratches in the paint on both sides of the cockpit area.

The dings were small but for chrisakes the bike had less than 500 miles.

Worked with dealer and mama yama in cypress but in the end the dealer refused to pay since I didn't catch it before it left the shop. But you can guess the same story would have happened even if I did catch it...you brought it in that way. Yeah right with 500 miles on it! It's my second FJR so I'm not a newbie when it comes to the bike!

Bottomline...look the bike over with the service manager when you take it in and out. But most of all do your own work to save yourself the hassle and heartache.

Note that my particular Stealer, Crossroads Motorsports in Gibsonia PA had been top notch for a long time but they turned bad in the last few years and I got caught by it.

BEWARE if you use Crossroads Motorsports. YMMV

Yes, be very careful. My total of damage for the ignition fix is:
* ding in pipe near passenger footrest

* ding in tank near ignition

* cables outside cable keeper

* scratches in the paint on both sides of the cockpit area.

The dings were small but for chrisakes the bike had less than 500 miles.

Worked with dealer and mama yama in cypress but in the end the dealer refused to pay since I didn't catch it before it left the shop. But you can guess the same story would have happened even if I did catch it...you brought it in that way. Yeah right with 500 miles on it! It's my second FJR so I'm not a newbie when it comes to the bike!

Bottomline...look the bike over with the service manager when you take it in and out. But most of all do your own work to save yourself the hassle and heartache.

Note that my particular Stealer, Crossroads Motorsports in Gibsonia PA had been top notch for a long time but they turned bad in the last few years and I got caught by it.

BEWARE if you use Crossroads Motorsports. YMMV
Wow, I grew up in Gibonia PA. In the KING OF ARMS on St. Thomas Drive. This brings back memories. Thanks for the post. :ph34r:

How do you know if the recall was completed? My Stealer told me that the problem was corrected on the new 2009's and didn't need to be done. I have absolutely no faith in this dealer and want to double check. Do I call Yamaha? Does anyone have the number?

How do you know if the recall was completed? My Stealer told me that the problem was corrected on the new 2009's and didn't need to be done. I have absolutely no faith in this dealer and want to double check. Do I call Yamaha? Does anyone have the number?
Just happen to have my recall notice sitting here. Customer relations at 1-800-962-7926 should be able to tell you whether the recall applies to your bike.

I got lucky too. Dealer gave me the switch and I installed.

The few extra dents I got doing it made it feel like a real professional had done the repair. :moil:

I thought this was interesting.... First I did a search on this forum and found a list of the effected VIN's (I probably should have done that first) and my VIN was in the "2009 FJR1300A RP15E-006050~006392 range. My VIN is approx. 0062** (i need to keep some secrets). I then called the number that Harald posted and according to Yamaha, the recall was performed on Jan 28, 2009. That's interesting as my dealer didn't receive the bike until March 24, 2009 and I took delivery on March 26, 2009. I asked her who performed the recall. After searching for a while she came back on the line to tell me that Yamaha performed the recall themselves when the bike first landed. They must have set up a shop of some kind to handle the recalls before the dealers received the bikes. I feel better about Yamaha Corp. doing the work as opposed to my local dealer (JAF Motors) who have a horrible service manager. I don't know about there service techs, after talking to the service manger "Doc", they will never see my bike again.

with regards to "how do you know they performed the work?". i remembered reading that a dot was supposed to be punched above the VIN. i check, definitely no dot...although in my case I guess they missed the VIN and hit the exhaust can! and then they missed again and hit the tank!

damn Crossroads Motorsports...you have to laugh to avoid from crying!

My local dealer performed my recall and did a very professional job. I have nothing but good things to say about them and on the one occasion on my old bike where they had some issues with rebuilding my font forks. They took it back in 4 times and rebuilt them completely. At 3 or so hours a pop they were way in the hole on that service job. I seems they were having problems with the seals and it would start leaking after less then a hundred miles. Don't know if they got a bad batch of seals or what but they did not give up and only did not try to get out of it or charge extra. If any one has problems with the work the shop is doing give the a chance to make it right. I they do not then raise hell.

You can also tell if the switch has been, erm... switched as the new ones have a yellow stripe of tape around the wire harness. You'd have to lift the tank to get a look at that harness, but it may be worth the effort to be 100% certain you did get the new switch.

More details and a link to download the full dealer instruction package here: clicky