Broken rear subframe

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite518

Reaction score
Updating first post - see below:

On my way to the Superior RTE (ride report linky) my rear subframe broke. I was using a Garauld rack and a Pelican case. This setup has been fine for 10K street miles. What killed it was 12 miles of rocky washboard up and back (24 total) to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest. Once we got back to pavement, my riding partner noticed my topcase bouncing way too much.

Made it home with some good straps, took it apart, and here's the carnage. The entire piece broke off completely, as well as the two mini gussets.

545045304_2jaNQ-M.jpg

I vent my frustration.

545045340_Zbk5P-M.jpg

To reattach the tail lights, I tied a knot in the end of a rope, ran it through the bolt hole, and tied it to the part of the frame that didn't break. Bodywork is back on, and now I can ride to the welder in safety.

545045400_55icL-M.jpg

Update as of March 29

I spoke with Garauld. He says he doesn't sell a 5 point mount unit. He also reminds me that the rated weight for the rear rack is 7 lbs, per the sticker underneath the passenger seat. Gary offered to buy back my unit, which I thought was great. However I opted to keep it and reinforce the subframe instead. I weighed my Pelican case - the base weight with Star Traxx unit mounted is 17.2 lbs. I might have had 2 or 3 lbs of contents at the time of the incident.

I have a subframe from a salvage yard on its way to the fabricator in Sacramento. Today I removed my existing subframe and put it back on again, just to get familiar with the procedure. Next Saturday I'll ride up to Sac. While he works on the new subframe, I'll take off my old one. When he's done, I'll install the new one. I bet the whole deal won't take more than half a day.

Update as of June 7

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

It's fixed!

Yesterday was welder day. Though actually, John Van Dyke is more than a welder, he is an artist with metal. He's also a cool guy who tells great stories. He's just the kind of gearhead you want to hang out with for a day. His shop is really cool, filled with all kinds of big metalworking machines that I cannot name today. He started with the concept used by Ignacio's repair, but made it his own. He fit and refit the subframe reinforcement plate until it was perfect - punching, grinding, smoothing. Most of his time was spent forming a piece of 3/8" plate, but he did grind the Yamaha frame as well.

Here he is grinding a bit of the frame to get the plate to set down closer to the joint with the main frame.

556869703_43Y3s-M.jpg

Here's the finished plate. Check out all the angles and notches. It fits perfectly.

556869717_RR774-M.jpg

This plate fits the subframe in front, rather than from behind.

556869813_cvugD-M.jpg

556869832_EPeYr-M.jpg

Before he could tack it into place he had to remove any paint from the welding area. Here he is at work in the bead blasting machine.

556869726_7WsnA-M.jpg

This is what the bead blasting operator sees - the view through a hazy window. The bead gun shoots invisible glass pellets at the work object.

556869750_CTjEB-M.jpg

Here he is tacking the plate into place.

556869850_KKFLS-M.jpg

Next he made some gussetting arms to lay alongside the central rib of the luggage mount, which is also the passenger seat support tab. These are shaped like a triangular L.

556869890_y7BKU-M.jpg

Here they are in place on the unit, prior to being attached.

556869907_jnSNr-M.jpg

Everything now fits and is ready to weld. While John is busy at the welding table, I wander around the shop and take some photos. Mixed in with the fabrication stuff is some bike stuff. John told me about his barn at home with 32 bikes in it. The upstairs is like a Guys Den, with couches and big screen TV. His buddies come over and watch MotoGP at 4 AM.

556869874_id2Nc-M.jpg

556869777_VS5nb-M.jpg

556869796_mXvBo-M.jpg

John's shop is a regular Saturday hangout for the neighborhood gearheads. Here's one of the kibitzers getting a closer view of the master at work.

556869932_AxKDt-M.jpg

And now we have the finished product.

556869987_NxXFC-M.jpg

Rear view.

556869952_NPHNn-M.jpg

Top view. Notice the difference in thickness between the frame and the reinforcing plate.

556870010_6BEWh-M.jpg

One final shot.

556869967_s29YU-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about the misfortune. At least the damage is reparable B)

Do you think the topcase added any stress here? Or was it just 12 miles of vibration?
Oh yeah I'm sure it was the weight of topcase and contents bouncing up and down repeatedly. Who knows, maybe it was already weakened and the dirt road put it over the top. I think I should have gone with a 5 point mounting rack for the topcase. Anybody selling a spare Givi rack? :)

Jerry, Tough Nuts on your sub-frame stress failure,

However, Great pictures of the frame and the digital

direction indicating failure points, good luck on

repairs!

C'mon now Jerry, I think it was just the frustration of your FJR getting passed repeatedly by my GT. Something somewhere had to give . . .
BMWsmile.gif

It was a great ride. Thanks for inviting me along. :)

Now where is that ride report? :jerry:

Out of curiosity, what did you have in the pelican case when you rode the rough stuff and the subframe broke?

How much was the total weight? I know those pelican cases are fairly stout and tend to be pretty heavy even when empty.

I think you are right that having Givi 5 point rack would help some, but most of the load is still borne by the rear 3 mounting points, which (as can be clearly seen in your picture) are all threaded into the piece of subframe that broke off.

One more question: Why weld it? Wouldn't is be easier to just buy another one?

Or will you be reinforcing it in some way to prevent future breakage? (sorry, that was three more questions. ;) )

I think you are right that having Givi 5 point rack would help some, but most of the load is still borne by the rear 3 mounting points, which (as can be clearly seen in your picture) are all threaded into the piece of subframe that broke off.
It would help immensely. The two forward bolts don't carry any weight directly, but they put the grab rails in tension when the case is weighted and thus provide a triangulating brace for the rear. That applies with either the Givi or the stock rack. It's part of the rear structure, not just a set of handles.

It would help immensely. The two forward bolts don't carry any weight directly, but they put the grab rails in tension when the case is weighted and thus provide a triangulating brace for the rear. That applies with either the Givi or the stock rack. It's part of the rear structure, not just a set of handles.

Gunny!

On my way to the Superior RTE (new thread on that coming up) my rear subframe broke. I was using a Garauld rack and a Pelican case. This setup has been fine for 10K street miles. What killed it was 12 miles of rocky washboard up and back (24 total) to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine forest. Once we got back to pavement, my riding partner noticed my topcase bouncing way too much.
Condolences, Jerry. I hate that g**damned road! During the '07 IBR the thing almost reduced me to tears. And then to see Ignacio riding it like his FJR was a dirt bike just added salt to the wound. Hope you git her fixed in time for the Cal. I wish I could be there but I have a nephew that just HAD to get married that weekend :angry:

Do we know for sure that jwhite518 removed his grab-rail? He didn't update the thread about his rally bike <Link> with photos of the garauld rack.

What if if Gary's rack was installed over the grab rail, and the rear subframe still failed?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, jwhite, and glad you made it home okay.

Gary's rack design for the '05 required the removal of the grab rail, as the forward two attachment points of the rack use the two rear mounting points of the grab rail. I've had Gary's rack on my '05 for 35k miles, but except for long trips, the rack is unloaded.

IIRC, Ignacio had a similar failure to his subframe with the same configuration - Gary's rack and a Pelican case. He removed the subframe and had it welded and reinforced with stout bracing. Pictures Here. If you're gonna keep the Pelican case, you may want to consider a similar treatment.

The grab rail was removed. It has to come off for the Garauld rack to fit.

The case was lightly loaded. I had a heated jacket, a netbook, and some misc junk. Most of the weight was the case itself and the Star Traxx transponder mounted on top.

What were the other questions? ;)

I have a line on a good aluminum welder in Sacramento, but I'd like to find one in the Bay Area. Cal 24 is in 3 weeks so I'll be on this lickety split.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune; glad that you weren't injured. If your welder is going to do any welding with the sub frame attached to the bike, you might want to make certain he knows to attach the ground as close to the weld point as possible, so the current doesn't run through any bearings. This should be basic knowledge for any professional welder and he might even be insulted if you mention it, but it never hurts to be safe.

I hate that g**damned road! During the '07 IBR the thing almost reduced me to tears. And then to see Ignacio riding it like his FJR was a dirt bike just added salt to the wound.
Well, I didn't hate that road too much. It was really scenic on those few occasions I unglued my eyes from the impending doom in front of me.

However, I do share your distaste for our ample-assed 05 FJR riding friend who can ride his FJR on gravel roads lickity-split, making me look like a fuking retard in the process.

And as for Garauld racks - Folks, he makes both types. Those that replace the stock rack, and those that bolt on top of it. I got the bolt on top type specifically so I could retain the passenger grab handles for, well....... a passenger.

Another benefit of the Tanji cell. Most of it's mounting is done on the forward, stout part of the subframe. So no problemos, no matter how much you load it.