Pilot Road 2 Rear 180/55ZR-17 B FJR Specific

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking now that the PR2 is exactly what I'm looking for. If it can get 15k of wear in the center (a lot of time going up and down I-5) and have better grip on the edges than the PR for when I do get up in the hills then it really might be the perfect tire.
I don't know what these guys getting 14K on a rear tire are drinking, but I don't.

My last regular PR2 went 6,959 miles and had four holes in it, two plugged. This was winter riding in the PNW, which means you are mostly on the center of the tire. Well, except for that little northern CA ride I did,( Perfect Fall Ride) oh, and that ride to the UpChuck event. I guess most of those miles were hot and heavy. Two thumbs up for the PR2. But don't expect 14K.

A standard PR2 rear is rated for 805lbs at 42psi, what is the weight rating on a "B" version?
From here:

NOTE: This tire is made for the fully loaded sport touring bike or for two up riding - for lightly loaded single up riding use Part No. 543359
Dimensions:

Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 7.48 in./5.50 in.

Inflated Diameter: 25.35 in.

Acceptable Rim Width: 5.50-6.00 in.

Deepest Tread Depth: 8/32 in.

Balance Dot: No

Directional Arrow: Yes

Speed Rating: W(V270)-Rated up to 168 MPH

Capacities and Construction:

Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 805 lbs./42 PSI

Load Range: B

Bias or Radial Ply: Radial

Tread Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide/1 Aramid

Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Polyamide
So, the same?

I would have plugged that tire also. But you can't go wrong with the regular PR2. I just pulled a rear with almost 14k on it and it wasn't even down to the wear bars yet. And it's had at least a few thousand 2 up miles on it at speeds up to the 120's (on a closed course with professional rider :devil: ).

Maybe I will have to give the PR2 a try if you're getting 14k out on a tire. Of course, I've got to wonder why you would pull it if it "wasn't evn down to the wear bars yet."

I've been using PRs for a few years now but I was told that the only difference between the PRs and the PR2s was the the compound on the edges provided more grip. Since the majority of my miles for the last 3 years are going up and down I-5 in Washington I didn't see the cost/benefit making a lot of sense. Did I hear wrong about the nature of the dual compounds? Is the rubber used in the center of the tire longer wearing than the PRs?
I only pulled the tires because of a planned 1500 mile trip this weekend with the wife and don't want to risk needing a tire on the road.

I can't speak to the difference in compounds between regular PR's and the CT ones. I ran a regular PR once on my Blackbird and don't think I got this much mileage out of it, but then again the Blackbird is a little sportier :devil: . What did impress me with the PR2 was that even though it did flat spot in the center (as expected with most miles being commuting on interstate), the tire didn't have as wide of a flat spot as I've experienced in the past with regular tires. YMMV, but it works for me. :)

So, the same?
In their "2009 Motorcycle & Scooter Tires" fitment guide this is what it says under the "Sport Touring / 2-Compound Pilot® Road 2" (only this size mentioned)

*180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a ‘B’ version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up.

:dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking if my pillion weighs in at under 800, my standard PR2 is OK. ;)

Why pay more if the B tire isn't rated for more than the standard PR2?

I'm thinking now that the PR2 is exactly what I'm looking for. If it can get 15k of wear in the center (a lot of time going up and down I-5) and have better grip on the edges than the PR for when I do get up in the hills then it really might be the perfect tire.
I don't know what these guys getting 14K on a rear tire are drinking, but I don't.

My last regular PR2 went 6,959 miles and had four holes in it, two plugged. This was winter riding in the PNW, which means you are mostly on the center of the tire. Well, except for that little northern CA ride I did,( Perfect Fall Ride) oh, and that ride to the UpChuck event. I guess most of those miles were hot and heavy. Two thumbs up for the PR2. But don't expect 14K.
It will depend on your useage, but here are mine at 10K (per odometer, which means probably closer to 9-9.5K) I am a medium to average rider and probably don't push past 50% -70% of what the bike can do.

DSC02091-1.jpg

DSC02090-1.jpg

Here is what my PR2's look like and I am not easy on tires;

Front with 10k Miles:

FrntsPr2_10k.jpg

Rears w/ 7k Miles and States B (not sure if this is the correct one) Max Load 805 lbs (Appears to be the 2 Ply Sidewall version):

RearPr2_7k.jpg

So the PR2 isn't the holy grail tire? Darn it!

I just picked up one ( B) local, after a minor local forum price war, for $190.00 out the door. Now to find out just how far the original can go. 11K and counting....

Here is a Picture of the Regular Rear PR2 Sidewall Info:

Pr2RearSidewallPlyInfoArrow002.jpg

I believe the more Expensive/Stiffer Sidewall version would have a "3" and not a "2" where the Arrow is Pointing.

Just got a new PR 2-B , so I went out to the garage to look. The tread ; 3 polyamide, 1 aramid. Sidewall; 3 polyamide.

Whatever that means.

And one more ply of polymide in the tread.............whatever that is...................

We'll see if any of this translates into any higher mileage than the the last set of dual compound tires ( Dunlop Roadsmarts) that I got a whopping 3800 mi. out of before they were toast.

I ride 2-up all the time so this is a little interesting to me.

The Gen II is rated 1109 max GVW - 642 bike and 467 load. Assuming the rear is sharing 60% of the load that is around 660# so the 805 load rating on the PR2 and PR2"B" makes it 'legal' for the FJR. I guess the "B" gives a little more for a little more.

Probably doesn't affect the tread life much, though. That is up to the driver and the pavement.

Last year I rode a new set of PR2s for a single 7000 mile tour, and then removed the rear because it had a nail. I had it patched and remounted last month while putting on a new front PR2, because it has plenty of tread left. I'm going from Oklahoma to Halifax, NS on that sucker in September. If it makes the trip successfully, I will have 12,000 miles on it by the time I get to EOM. I'll let you know . . . . and I drink whatever you're buying!

Thanks for clearing up the "B" mystery...sort of. I am getting ready to buy a new tire for the rear (already have the PR2 on the front) to replace the OEM Bridgestone. I just cleared 10,000 miles so the 021 rear has not been a bad tire. The front was atrocious and died at just over 5,000 with serious cupping...but I digress.

BMW friend recommended the B but with my weight (170) and no 2 up riding, I can't see ever exceeding the load rating. However, that does not seem to be the issue between regular and B. So, extra ply in tread and extra ply in sidewall...to what end? Does anybody have a real explanation as to why I would or would not want the extra plies? If the load rating is the same, what's the dilly yo?

From their website:

180/55 ZR 17 rear also available in a 'B' version, specifically designed for loaded sport touring or riding two-up.