gen 1 vs gen 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fljab

Reaction score
Hey guys, forgive me as I'm sure this has probably been hashed out before but I can't seem to find it via the search forum. If anyone can do a clicky to a good thread, please point me that way.

I'm looking for a used bike (or maybe leftover new), not quite ready to buy, but getting close; probably in the Dec to Feb time frame my "FJR account" will be optimized. Doing my research on FJR's (and why I joined this group) and see some great deals on the older gen 1 bikes.

I know some of the differences but would like to hear from you guys, if you didn't have one, which do you prefer and why? Worth spending the extra $ for the newer gen 2? Things to look for on the older bikes, etc...

FYI, primary usage for my FJR will be LD riding. I intend to get it set up with the farkles (gps, extra fuel, cruise, whatever ergos need to be done, etc) and leave it that way. I have another bike I use locally that I will not be getting rid of.

Thanks!

Spend some time looking through the FAQ section but IMHO the two main differences for LD riding are Gen II are hotter and Gen II have more electrical to spare.

Spend some time looking through the FAQ section but IMHO the two main differences for LD riding are Gen II are hotter and Gen II have more electrical to spare.

Both are issues I'm concerned about as I live in Florida and plan to add plenty of farkles. Not sure what to do about the heat, or if it's that big an issue, and I believe the electrical can be dealt with via an aftermarket solution. I have the link somewhere...

The Gen 2 did increase stator output, but in real-world use it's a marginal increase at best. If it were on a par with BMW or Honda outputs of 750 to 1100 watts, then it would be significant and decision-influencing.

Heat on the Gen 1 is established as user specific perception/tollerance. Most riders of Gen 1, who have had experience with other full-faired bikes report them as being equivalent (no worse than) the others they've ridden extensively. Keep in mind it's not bike heat (the engine works within operating temps and doesn't overheat) it's how the heat is shed and flows toward/away from the rider (and what gear the rider wears) that's the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Plenty of Gen 1 riders still contend that riding in the desert southwest is hot in the summer regardless of what full-faired bike you choose.

Probably more significant is your budget and your ability to find a well-cared-for Gen 1 example at a reasonable price (more so than either of the 2 issues above). Miles are less important than overall sound mechanical condition and well-documented service records. If you can find a good Gen 1 example at a price you like, don't hessitate to consider it.

Everything Bounce just outlined, PLUS the differences in Gen I bikes.

The 2003 has smaller front brake rotors, and no ABS. Minor other differences between the '03 and other Gen Is.

The only difference between the '04 and '05 is the color.

Some people actually like the "Galaxy Blue" used on the '05s. No accounting for taste. :D

The Gen 1's are the hotter of the two - above is just a typo - right Rogue?

Having owned both I steer everyone to the Gen 2, not that I didn't love my Gen 1.

All of the work that I did to address heat and other owner complaint issues on my 2004, Yamaha "fixed" in the Gen 2 IMO. And they made the ABS stock on the Gen 2 which is a huge safety factor in my opinion...

Having said all of that, if your budget or other considerations mandates a Gen 1 - you will love it - but do buy an ABS version if at all possible!

If cost is the main issue find a nice 06 or newer. Unless you live in a cool climate heat on the Gen 1 will be an issue. The 08 is supposed to have an improved ABS system however I have never read where that has been confirmed. The Gen ll is a more refined bike. Either way you go the FJR is really a great bike in many ways.

Unless you live in a cool climate heat on the Gen 1 will be an issue.
Not an issue here ...
Geez, yathink?!

Day_008.jpg

You can't really go wrong with any of the model years.. Yes, the Gen-1's do tend to cook the riders legs (when not wearing proper pants). But, overall the FJR in general is a very solid bike. All of the important bits like the engine and drive-train are practically bullet proof. Add to that, ease of maintenance and you've got a real winner.

Did you own a Gen I? Or are you just talking out your ass?

Or maybe I don't get it? Cause I own a Gen I, Have put a few miles on it. :) Live in the hell of the desert southwest. And don't have any issues. At least not with the FJR's heat. I got plenty of 'other' issues. ;)

Did you own a Gen I? Or are you just talking out your ass?

Or maybe I don't get it? Cause I own a Gen I, Have put a few miles on it. :) Live in the hell of the desert southwest. And don't have any issues. At least not with the FJR's heat. I got plenty of 'other' issues. ;)
Couldn't agree with you more, boss, (and I'd gladly trade your "dry" heat for my 10 month sauna) but seriously, we're fighting a losing battle. Too much apocryphal reporting on Gen I "heat" and too many who substitute skin lotion for protective clothing on their legs.

My Gen I has only 1/4 of the miles that Skooter has on his, but heat has not been an issue for me. It's not cold, by any means, but it has never been a big concern to me. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
no one has mentioned the 3 convenience details I wish my '03 had

1- glove compartment

2- gas mileage / trip computer

3- rear footpeg carriers are separated from the exhaust on genII (reduced passenger footpeg buzz)

Having owned both an 04 (Gen 1) and an 08 (Gen 2), I can say that the overall differences are negligible. I do like having the ABS, riding ANY bike in the desert southwest during the summer is an exercise in frequent re-hydration, the change in the airflow around the rider on the Gen 2 has amplified the noise level of my Nolan N-102 helmet, black is harder to keep clean than the silver, but looks oh so badass when freshly washed. Other than that, I would not hesitate to own either version, and as long as Yamaha continues to make this machine the superior piece of machinery it is, I will have one in my garage.