Stayin' Safe Tour Ride Switzerland of Ohio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Sparky and I finished out first SS1k here SS1k and the next day proceeded to Cleveland airport to pick up Bambi and Nadine. The truck traffic was heavy but the scenery nice. We picked them up at the “arrivals” drive by but no time for pictures, the TSA were giving us the stink eye for being parked there for so long. Sparky and I had the girls gear on the back of our bikes so all they had to do was grab it and go change inside the terminal.

Off to Bridgeville, PA, for the first night so that we could arrive at the pre-course meeting at the restaurant first thing in the morning. The ride along the turnpikes in Ohio and Pennsylvania were great – managed to make our way past the Pittsburgh airport without any G-20 traffic stops. The police were everywhere.

Saturday Morning

The next morning it was raining when we met up with Eric Trow and Roger Wiles (of BMW fame) who were our instructors for the two days. Also there was our third member, Ann on a Kawasaki Versys. She’d done both on and off road riding and was taking her first on-road class. Introductions were made all around while we had breakfast.

From there we suited up and did some parking lot maneuvers so the instructors could evaluate our riding skills. The parking lot covered the basics for a few rounds—turns & braking – enough to give the instructors a good idea of our basic abilities to handle the bikes. The parking lot was wet / light rain falling. From there we rode SW down towards Wheeling, WV.

I can’t say enough good things about these courses. This is the second course Sparky and I have taken. The Stayin’ Safe course is a totally “on road” course, unlike the vast majority of other motorcycle training available. I’ve taken the Pridmore course, used to road race (including the required classes), and had a few Track Days sessions. Without a doubt, this is by far the BEST class out there for learning “real world” riding skills. Anything oriented around a track just doesn’t do the job right. The track stuff is excellent for teaching you about motorcycle control but, until you apply it to the “real world”, it will always remain a bit of an abstraction.

The basic set up is to have each rider (and pillion if along as ours were) have a speaker headset so that the instructor can give minute by minute advice and counseling as far as speed, lane position, braking and cornering skills, etc. You can’t talk back, probably for good reason! The instructor is not invasive into your space (I think they plan it that way) but is more like a “voice in your consciousness” reminding you and guiding you to better riding. Each rider takes a turn out in front with an instructor immediately behind them to study and coach their riding. The other students follow behind but can hear all of the comments directed to the guy in front so as to be able to think about what they too may be doing wrong. The primary goal of the course is to develop safer on-road riding skills, not to figure out how to go faster on the street (that’s not to say we didn’t indulge in some “spirited” riding on the second day, once the instructors determined we weren’t idiots or squids).

On thing I really like about how the course is taught is the “tools in your tool box” approach to going around a corner. Eric doesn’t have the narrow approach of Pridmore (weight shift, kiss you mirror. Countersteer? What’s that?) or Code (Countersteer!!! No BS!!). Don’t know what Parks teaches. Instead, Eric encourages you to make it around any corner in your own most comfortable way. Start with countersteering, add upper body weight shift. Or weight shift, bring the bike to you and possibly add countersteering. Or use you feet like I sometimes do for shifting weight in combination with other techniques. In the end, it doesn’t really matter as long as you are smooth, consistent, and effective at getting safely around the corner.

In addition, because both Sparky and I had our wives along, Eric made a point to add some extra time to cover pillion responsibilities and actions. Pillions are part of the riding experience and, if you’ve got a competent one (like I do) it can make the ride all the more interesting, safe, and enjoyable. (See my comments below about the Dragon).

After the parking lot, we covered how the group was expected to stop at lights – we started to cover lane positioning (not riding in pairs like Movie Pirates do) and evaluating road entry and exit points (drive ways, intersections, etc.) Moving between the “3” lanes in your lane; “home base” the left most position in the lane; the right side of the lane, presenting yourself to oncoming traffic; and the center of the lane, maximizing your space from potential hazards in places where visibility is limited (like approaching a hill).

The list of riding skills goes on. Check out Stayin' Safe for more detailed descriptions.

The course may seem to be expensive at first but it includes almost personalized all day training (it actually was for Ann) plus first class deluxe accommodations and food. And the biggest bonus is that these guys know the most fabulous motorcycle friendly roads in any given area (yes, we did 555 but there are better roads out there that we found!)

On the road

IMG_0025rev01.jpg

There was a state-park where we made a pit stop in the visitors center – pretty sure it was West Virginia.

Clicky

Rest stop with personal coaching

IMG_0027rev01.jpg

CIMG2560.jpg

The Gang

IMG_0030rev01.jpg

Jeeze Eric, you need to ride with your 'Stitch a little more often, maybe break it in a little!

P9260010rev01.jpg

We encountered torrential rain during a transit on Interstate 70 between Wheeling, WV and St. Clairsville, OH. We were only on the interstate for a few miles when it started pouring down. But, again, this is one of the reasons Stayin’ Safe is so good, real world conditions are encountered, and dealt with safely, throughout the course.

We had lunch at the Beallsville Diner and took a break from the rain. It continued to rain for the remainder of the afternoon until we reached our evening destination.

We stopped for the night at the Stockport Mill Inn, a converted mill along the Muskingham River. A beautiful Inn with rooms overlooking the dam. Good dinner, lots of good conversation then off to bed for an early start. Started off the day with some video and stills illustrating things the instructors covered on the road. After breakfast, we loaded up for another great day’s ride – there was some light rain, but it cleared within a few miles and the rest of the day was ridden on dry pavement.

P9270020rev01.jpg

P9270025rev01.jpg

Stockport Inn

IMG_0042rev01.jpg

P9270021rev01.jpg

Sunday

We had lunch at Burr Oak Reservoir where we continued with some braking and slow-speed parking lot drills before lunch. We did some braking exercises on a long hill. We also did some “study” on how to make tight parking lot turns. After a little coaching and practice, I have now figured out how to do full lock turns, two up, just like the video of Lee Parks of “Total Control” fame. And on an AE too!. Pretty hard on the brakes and clutch but do-able none the less. Sparky and Nadine were also successful with executing the “full lock turn”, two up, in the parking lot. We also had a “study hall” along route 78 where we could practice in the twisties and Eric went out and took some pictures of us in action.

We left Eric and Roger in Caldwell, OH and headed off towards Charleston, WV, for the night. A nice ride down I-77 in the evening with lots of deer sightings. Made it there and, yet again, Sparky started to do his “it’s only this much further” routine (see my SS1k report). We had to do a lap around the city and two crossings of the river (was the State highway guy drunk at the time of design?) before we could get to the streets downtown. Nice hotel, steak restaurant across the street. We made it just in time before closing, good food.

Monday

Next day, off we went towards Bristol, TN. Went across Hwy 60, a stunning stretch of road that follows the Kanawha River. Lots of coal and steel here, little hamlets next to big factories and mills, including a sign on a Caterpillar dealership that advertised “clean coal”. Kinda sad, hope these folks make it thru the recession.

Monday night was in Bristol after riding down from Charleston, WV along 60, 20, 1, 16, and 58. We had rain for much of the morning ride, but things turned out nice after we had lunch in Bluefield. The ride along 19 was nice – divided highway until we reached Tazewell where we picked up 16. The weather was clear and cool after lunch – great day for riding. 16 was more technical than 58—some gravel and branches along the road. 16 intersected with 58 and took us through the Mount Rogers National Recreation area – the road was great – some more gravel, leaves, and branches kept things interesting. The combination of afternoon sun and shadows played havoc with our view of the road. Stopped for coffee in Damacus and decided to head to Bristol for the night. You guys that live around here have some world class stunning roads!

P9280030rev01.jpg

P9280036rev01.jpg

P9280037rev01.jpg

Power Rangers on Holiday (no, Sparky generally couldn't see a thing :lol: )

IMG_0060rev01.jpg

IMG_0075rev01.jpg

More later, shitty internet connection here

Tuesday

The next morning we road I-81 down to Rt 66 where we stopped for coffee in the tourist mecca of Sevierville, TN – the place that looked like Branson, MI. Yeech!

We skirted the north edge of Smoky Mountains National Park and up the Foothills Parkway towards 129.

P9290013rev01.jpg

P9290014rev01.jpg

CIMG2637.jpg

CIMG2636.jpg

On to the Parkway

CIMG2577.jpg

CIMG2581.jpg

CIMG2582.jpg

CIMG2578.jpg

CIMG2580.jpg

From there, we went on to The Dragon, which, with all do respect to the local peg draggers, was a little anti-climatic after riding for hours on 60, 20, 16 and 58.

Sparky later told me how he advised Nadine to put away her camera as we were coming to “some serious riding”. Bambi and I were clueless because we had never been on it before and so just took off as usual, her being the photog on the back. Sparky said he was laughin’ out loud behind us as we went grinding around corners with Bambi, arm out, making an attempt to get “the action shot”.

Passed a few folks when it was safe. One Harley guy was very nice and pulled over when it was safe to do so. We also passed a group of four guys, who also pulled over when safe. Wonder what they thought when they were passed by a couple of baggers with pillions? (see comments above about competent pillions). Seems my biggest worry was encountering some n00b coming across the center line and into my lane (Stay Right!!). This, along with a lot of the rest of the trip, was a good place to practice a lot of what Eric taught during the course as far as lane position, timing, turn in, etc. Stuff you don’t get to do in a track session. Call it a complimentary course to the track sessions.

CIMG2632.jpg

CIMG2605.jpg

CIMG2606.jpg

Gratuitous Deals Gap Shot

CIMG2610.jpg

At Deals Gap, had lunch and generally hob nobbed around for a while, watching the circus. Much to my surprise, I had those rolled up rubber gooey strips on the edge of my tires. Nothing like hookin’ it thru the Gap at a half ton up. Love those PR2’s!

CIMG2612.jpg

Managed to get away and head down 129 towards Robbinsville and the Cherohala Skyway. The rest of the way down the hill was beautiful.

CIMG2617.jpg

CIMG2590.jpg

CIMG2598.jpg

CIMG2578.jpg

The Cherohala Skyway Highway 81/165 to Tellico Plains was a hoot too! Light traffic made for an enjoyable run across the mountains. Saw one guy with his bike parked along the Skyway with a big clump of dirt and grass hanging off of the top of his fairing and various plastic parts strewn about – he was okay and using the phone as we passed. We finally ended up in Chattanooga, TN, for the night.

The run from Tellico Plains to Chattanooga was really pretty and picturesque. Easy cruising after several hundred miles of twisties. Down 39 to 411 and into town after a short Interslab run.

Wednesday

Left Chattanooga for Birmingham the next morning and arrived at the Barber Motorsports Museum around 10:30 – stayed for a few hours and were back on the road around 1:30PM. The ride from there to Jackson MS wasn’t remarkable – a long afternoon ride with trucks, interstate, and trees.

In Jackson we stayed at the James Inn, a bunch cheaper but similar accommodations to the Hilton next door. We ate dinner at the Charley’s restaurant on the other side of the parking lot. It was here where they informed us of the variable-dry county status -- the restaurant only served beer, not “high alcohol content” wine! A well split hair indeed! Can you imagine how much time it took the Legislature to figure out to OK beer but not wine?

Thursday

The next day, clear and refreshed after our low alcohol dinner, we made it all the way home, down the (Natchez Trace) Blue Ridge parkway – down thru Natchez where we took back roads through Louisiana to meet 190 in Jasper, Tx. We’d had beautiful riding weather the whole trip, 50’s in the morning, 70’s in the afternoon, until we hit Texas. Then it was hot and humid and raining from there on in. What a surprise!

PA010001rev01.jpg

PA010006rev01.jpg

PA010007rev01.jpg

PA010009rev01.jpg

PA010010rev01.jpg

We arrived home with about 3,200 miles on the clock. Quite a ride in seven days. All kinds of weather except, thankfully, snow. We knew we were getting tired because of the increasing amout of black boot streaks across the saddlebags!

Wow! Now THAT is a writeup. :clapping: it was very interesting for me as I have been on many of the same roads and same places.

I was in Caldwell, OH just last weekend with some Ohio riders - see report - and took some shots from OH 78. I've been on WV60 and have seen the falls you photographed, etc.

Great report. :yahoo:

So THATS what the Foothills Parkway looks like when its not foggy and raining!

Thanks for the ride along. The weather here is cold with snow in the forecast, so I brought the lap top in the shed and looked at the pics sitting on the bike and I almost dropped the computer on one of the corners, she was a close one......

Thanks again.

JT

Thanks for posting your ride.The first part of your trip is my stomping grounds...I live about 20 miles from both the Stockport mill and the crossroads of 78 and 555.

I've also been on a lot of the roads in TN that you photograghed...nice action shoots on the dragon.How did you like the Barber museum?I could spend days there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, great report! :thumbsup: But I thought you were in Africa or someplace...

:dntknw:
Yup! Got back Friday. All's well on the other side of The Pond

Barber was excellent. A must see if you are in the area.
A buddy of mine was there a couple a weeks ago for a vintage event and sent pics.

It's on the list for sure.

Amazing collection....

Latest posts