Cheap HID Aux lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
My man Smitty sent me a link this morning. Cheap, Chinese made HID aux lights. Ballast and igniter are internal like the Solteks.

Chinese quality notwithstanding, will these lights throw out a good amount of light and a good beam pattern?

What think you all? Anybody tried any of these yet? I wonder how much they weigh?

4" HID light for $110 each.

7" HID light for $115 each.

My man Smitty sent me a link this morning. Cheap, Chinese made HID aux lights. Ballast and igniter are internal like the Solteks.
Chinese quality notwithstanding, will these lights throw out a good amount of light and a good beam pattern?

What think you all? Anybody tried any of these yet? I wonder how much they weigh?
The 4" light weigh's 1lb 12 oz.

Didn't ask about the 7".

So who's going to try these out?

I would love to see these compared to the Fuego

yhst-76800471066344_2078_15361119.jpg

I also saw that they have some nice looking light from Trailtech:

https://www.sidebysidesports.com/trte4hiddrli.html

yhst-76800471066344_2074_24553558.jpg

I should have one tomorrow to evaluate. I will take a few pictures and hopefully be able to give it some juice.

Here's a youtube vid of the 4" lights...

On the trail the weeds a bit tall to tell. Later in the vid there on the street and looks good...

Smitty

4" HID"S

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool!

They don't have to be as good as the Fuegos, considering that they are... what? 1/5th the price?

< 2 lbs seems reasonable. I'd be tempted to go with bigger reflectors for the better beam pattern, and I think the weight diff would be minimal. Most of the weight has to be in the ballasts and ignitors.

Which ones will you be testing, Alex?

I've been wanting to add more products to my website, I think this would be a great option. I can fabricate and powder coat some great brackets and then offer the lights. A great lighting solution for 1/4 the price. I've had 3 different lights on my various FJR's over the years but never a set of HID's.

I will be testing the 4" Custom Accessories verson.

Hey Alex,

Sorry for the tangental thread tangent here, but...

I love :wub: your reflective saddlebag stickers. They are the complete shit!!

I've had 'em now for a pretty long time and nobody has ever run into my saddlebags (even though they stick out, about, like, what? 10 feet) so they are clearly working!! ;) .

And I see you do the same retro-reflective sticker panels for the Yammi touring trunk. Any thought to making something up for the uber common Givi boxes? I have a V46 and when it's on the bike it sure would be cool to gain some more reflectivity.

Anyway, no response necessary. Just think about it. M'kay?

Back to your regularly scheduled Cheap Chinese Auxiliary HIDs thread...

Givi 52 is on the site, and last week I finished up with a kit to go INSIDE the reflector housing on the 46. Those details will be in a different thread.

Back to the topic at hand.

Sorry for the tangental thread tangent here, but...

Shit Fred! Why didn't ya toss Tangerine in there somewhere?

:lol:

BTW. I'm a economical bastage .I hope those lights are real deal :)

:jester:

These are 6000K color temp lights so they'll be very blue, not optimal but could be OK. At 3200 lumens they aren't as powerful as one might want. I looked and couldn't find the lumens output for the Fuegos to compare. I believe the Hella FF200 HID puts out about 6000 lumens and the Fuegos are in that range. The vid looks OK but let me tell ya there's a big difference between good lights at 40 mph and good lights at 70 mph. If you could get the lumens output on the Fuegos you could do a better comparison of power. Then there's that pesky reflector design which only a real world test will provide.

I've seen them at Checker and Pep Boys if anyone wants to just go down and buy them. Every once in a while I see them go on sale for $99 each. I've thought about getting a pair for my truck. I've already invested in the SolTek's so I won't be jumping on these for the bike.

In the August issue of MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) there is an article about a Chinese company that makes a True HID conversion kit to fit motorcycle headlights. The kit comes complete with everything you need, requires 4 hours to install yourself and costs under $100 including shipping to your house. Overall satisfaction, Value and Component quality was rated 4 out of 5 stars. The bulbs come in different intensity from 4300k to 6000k. The author stated he had not suffered any legal issues from being pulled over by police, yet he did mention that proper adjustment is key. They are also available for single beam, bi-xenon and Hi/Lo beam.

I have included a link below for your viewing pleasure:

HID Conversion Kit