Bonus Rally at CFO 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickcorwn

Reaction score
Last year there was a good deal of interest in this idea but I still want to be sure enough people want to participate before I put more work into it. I've got this about 2/3 in the can already so I don't need to start from scratch but as RM I have a couple more issues to deal with. Also your opinion will count more if your actually signed up CFO (hint, hint) :coolsmiley02:

You can see some previous discussions here;

Testing the waters in 2009 clicky

Announcing the Rally Rallye 2009 clicky

The basics, 8 hours in length from 8:00AM to 4:00PM with a riders meeting at 7:00AM

Bonus sheets will be sent to you via email sometime before, maybe a week or so.

There could be prizes and not necessarily for the most points.

Here's an explaination of the basic concept of a bonus rally I posted last year;

A bonus rally is like a scavenger hunt, almost. In a scavenger hunt it doesn't matter where your get your treasures from just get them. In a bonus rally your given places to go and your need to sometimes collect an item from that place but you must get it from THAT place. There are other ways to prove you were there but the essence is about riding there. First off the riders are given a list of places to go, a long list more places than possible in the time allotted, in this case 8 hours. Each one of those places has a point value basically the more difficult to get to the greater the point value. The rider with the highest point value collected is usually the winner. Also each of the places has an assignment to prove you were there like take a picture of a your bike in front of a sign for a restaurant or answer a question like what are the Sunday hours of that restaurant or get a receipt from that restaurant. But if your told to get a receipt and you come back with a picture of your bike you don't get the points, bummer. First off it's about planning a route next it's about ridding that route and finally it's about getting proper proof that you were there.

Bonuses are usually the odd and eclectic roadside attractions maybe a grave site or a landmark, an overlook, a unique store, historical markers, places like the sand paper museum, the boyhood home of Larwance Welk. Sometimes it not all about the destination it's about the road that takes you to these places.

Bonus rallies are usually put on by folks in the Long Distance or endurance riding community so they've been associated with long hard rides. Most of these rallies are 24 to 48 hours or even several days long up to and including the Iron Butt Rally which is 11 days long. So these events are often associated with long hard rides and to win these events that's what you need to do. But what a lot people don't realize is that there are a shorter events maybe 12 hours long that don't need a bunch special farkles to fit in or to be competitive. This rally will be even shorter at 8 hours so it will fit better into the normal program of the CFO Rally. So nobody needs to get up at 4:00 AM or even miss dinner in this rally.

"So nobody needs to get up at 4:00 AM or even miss dinner in this rally."

So what's the point?

Rick you should know master is spelled B-a-s-t-a-r-t. <_<

Interested, Yes

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the point?

Interested, Yes
Why am I not surprised that Karl is the first to respond to this post.

Karl I do believe that's spelled with a D as in B-a-s-t-a-r-d. In my original post my reference to RM was to my duties as CFO Rally Master. If the Rally Ralley goes forward my name tag will have both titles. That will make me the Master Bastard :dirol:

So what's the point?

Interested, Yes
Why am I not surprised that Karl is the first to respond to this post.

Karl I do believe that's spelled with a D as in B-a-s-t-a-r-d. In my original post my reference to RM was to my duties as CFO Rally Master. If the Rally Ralley goes forward my name tag will have both titles. That will make me the Master Bastard :dirol:
Amazing how skills can deteriorate after a couple of beers.

So now ya know, I'm a cheap date :lol:

If I make it to CFO I'd be in. Saturday is looking like the only full day I could be there though.

I'm surprised at the light response this has generated so far.

An eight hour rally seems perfect for anyone (like me) that's never done a rally before.

...............and it's in SW Wisconsin, plenty excellent motorcycle roads, plenty of interesting out of the way places, enough of a challenge to generate some hair pulling (sorry I'll have to pull someone elses, don't have enough of my own), and should create enough shoulda, woulda, couldas to discuss though the next winter.

Rick said he needed ten last year, can we get ten

waiting

:dirol:

I could have sworn that scoobyvroom (Chris) was signed up last year to participate...calling scooby, please report in.

If I can do this unplugged, I'm in.
You have enough money to have 3 different fuel cells depending on your mood and you won't get a GPS? :rolleyes:
:D

...or a radar / laser detector

...or heated gear

...or a Spot Tracker

...or satellite radio

...or a laptop

You should have seen me trying to part with $300 today for a new jacket. I've hated my current jacket for six years and last year the zipper broke. I'll probably still get one more year of use out of it.

It's one of the reason I'm still married! I'm too cheap to get divorced.