AMA Superbike Races at Fontana, CA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
What a great day my son and I had at the Autoclub Speedway!

For the second year now I volunteered as a Tire Marshall for the AMA. Our job was to write down the tire numbers (Little stickers the AMA hands out) of the bikes, especially when new rubber went on the bikes. They are allotted only so many tires, and they must use Dunlop's, so the AMA wants to make sure no one is cheating. In return for my few hours of work I received my ticket and one for my son, I also got a T-shirt, and lunch (I turned it down). My ticket allows me access to pretty much anywhere except actually on the track.

I was stationed in a certain area in the hot pits (over the pit wall where the bikes stop for fuel, tires, what ever) and had to watch the National Guard, Team Jordon, and Team Yamaha's bikes. So I'm sitting on the wall between the race teams and watching for anything crafty. I had watch over, Josh Hayes, Tommy Aquino, Aaron Yates, and Jeke Zemke's bikes. That was cool.

While on tire guard, we heard over the PA that Arron Yates went down during the 30 minute warm up session, he high sided it. A rider came in, ran past me over to the Jordan Team and started talking to them. I thought, he must have seen it. Well what happened was the other racer (I don't recall who it was) said Aaron high sided right in front of him and he couldn't avoid him and hit Yates, injuring Aaron's leg. Aaron was transported to the local Med Center and he was done for the day.

My son roamed around took pix and watched the Supermoto guys and he rounded up all sorts of freebees from the vendors. We then enjoyed watching the races.

Jeff Ward of motocross fame also was there and he drove the pace car.

We were in the infield area watching the Daytona Sportbikes and on the warm up lap with Jeff Ward in front in the pace car, down the back straight away, both Danny Eslick and Josh Herrin in the pole position, were screaming down the entire back straight doing a wheelie, standing up, at least doing 100mph+ the entire way. The rest of the field was close behind and Jeff ward had to brake real deep in to turn 12 so the guys could put the front end down and brake before collecting the rear of the pace car. The crowd went NUTS!

In Superbike Pegram unfortunately went down early, my Duc victory was gone. Tom Hayden took it though, bummer Josh Hayes didn't get it he settled for second. Great racing in all classes!

What a great time! It was pretty hot though. Two days in the sun (the day before riding in Temecula and San Diego) took it's toll, even thpugh I was hydrating all day. I was spent by late Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy a few pix (sorry for the poor quality, I had my little goofy camera)

The Supermoto guys.

100_5840.jpg

The New BMW was there.

100_5841.jpg

Daytona Sportbike class, turns 5 & 6, the horseshoe.

100_5862.jpg

Daytona Sportbike, Eslick and Herrin battling it out.

100_5869.jpg

Trying to save some rubber on the front tire… Did I check his tire sticker…. Hmmm.

100_1579-1.jpg

My son and Josh Hayes.

100_5855.jpg

My love.

100_5847.jpg

I wish this was my garage.

100_5846.jpg

Can you spot Lorenzo Lamas and his rather large busted fiance?

100_5872.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m jealous. Looks like a lot of fun. Definitely need to check that out one of these years since the track is so close.

Thanks for the great report Bluesman. I watched the recorded sportbike this morning...good racing! The supers where just...ehhh.

Your son looks as cool as Josh with his superstar shades. :shades:

Thanks for the great report Bluesman. I watched the recorded sportbike this morning...good racing! The supers where just...ehhh.Your son looks as cool as Josh with his superstar shades. :shades:
UberKul - I agree. I found myself board with the Superbikes. I found the Daytona Sportbikes to be closer and better racing. 1st and 2nd was an awesome race all the way, as was 3rd thru 8th place. They were all tight and battling it out.
Even the Supersport class of 16 to 21 year olds was great to watch especially Elena Myers! She did an awesome job of keeping fourth place, all though she swapped a couple times with 5th place, Tyler O'hara. She crashed in the Supersport race Saturday, she also went down during Sunday's 30 minute warm up session, and she still came out and raced a great race to take fourth! Mind you with a nearly 5 second lead over Tyler.

That girl can ride!

Elena Myers.

And she's in a 3-way tie for 2nd place in the West SS points standings! Clicky.

Looks like you had a lot of fun on a great day.

Latest posts