Race Tech Gold Valve and spring installation.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoobyvroom

Reaction score
This is for those of you wondering if you can do the Race Tech Gold Valve install yourself.

A big thank you to Chris Dvorack, who just graduated from MMI in Arizona. He came over and gave me some pointers and helped with an extra set of hands.

I will say this, you will more than likely need two people, so buddy up. :drinks: You will also need a pretty good set of tools. I would suggest a torque wrench that can do 10-50 ft/lbs. Some bolts you won't be able to torque to spec unless you have crow's feet, I would highly recommend getting the socket head cap screw in the bottom of the fork. This bolt seals the bottom of the fork and also holds the cartridge in place. It is also screwed into aluminum and you don't want to strip this hole out. You will also want an impact wrench, to remove said bolt. You will need a hand drill with a #1 (.228 inch) drill bit. A metal saw, and also a file or off hand grinder. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner will also be used to clean the forks out. A caliper is nice but not required.

1. So to start off get the bike on the center stand and get the front wheel off the ground. Remove the brake calipers, fender, axle and then the wheel.

2. Undo the two lower pinch bolts on the lower triple.

3. While supporting the fork leg loosen the top pinch bolt and carefully slide the fork leg out.

4. Repeat on the other side.

4503975516_67156f3a2d_b.jpg

5.Get a nice clean area. I used this 3x8 plastic table. If you use a plastic table be careful with the brake cleaner.

6.You will need lots of paper towels.

4503976202_fc3672f789_b.jpg

7. Remove the rebound adjustment knob by undoing the Phillips head screw. Put these parts in the plastic baggy.

4503345433_6c1ede84b0_b.jpg

8. Using a 17mm socket crank the preload adjustment all the way in.

9. Use an impact or if you don't have access to one, install the fork back in the bike and tighten down the top pinch and loosen the fork cap.

4503346307_c67baa85f5_b.jpg

10. TIP THE FORK UPRIGHT and undo the fork cap from the inner fork leg.

4503347241_ac7c6b709e_b.jpg

11. Pour out the fork oil into a waste oil container.

4503348405_166d9301b4_b.jpg

12. Using an impact remove the bolt in the bottom of the fork leg, you will have to remove the two axle pinch bolts. You may need to reinstall the fork cap a bit and then compress the fork leg to put tension on the cartridge. This will stop it from spinning.

4503981366_353261019a_b.jpg

13. Remove the cap with the cartridge.

14. There is a ring piece that is in the bottom the fork leg. This is to lock the leg before it bottoms out. Tip the fork leg over and get this piece out. You can see it just above the left side of the cartridge. (see picture)

4503982722_a33b7c8bce_b.jpg

14. Using a 14mm wrench on the locknut and a 17mm on the spring preload undo the lock nut.

4503352457_e1822e61f4_b.jpg

15. Remove fork cap and set in a safe place. You don't want this rolling off the table.

16. If you have a caliper push down the rebound adjustment rod (thin rod inside of dampening rod) When the adjustment rod stops traveling downward measure the height from the top of the rod to the top of the dampener rod. Write this down.

17. Remove rebound adjustment rod.

4503985628_148655958a_b.jpg

18. Remove the locknut, spacer, washer, and the spring. DO NOT PUMP THE DAMPNING ROD

4503355591_f7065d23e6_b.jpg

19. Carry the cartridge to you waste oil container and slowly pump the dampening road to force the oil out.

4503988342_e305190141_b.jpg

20. You will need to hold on to the cartridge without deforming it. Use soft jaws or put the brass portion of the cartridge in a vise.

21. Heat the end of the cartridge using a propane torch or something similar. Be careful aluminum has a low melting temp do not stay in one place to long. Heat it for 10-15 seconds and then try to remove the compression valve body. It should come pretty easily once the loctite is liquid. You may be able to smell the loctite once it is loose.

4503361777_7a27824bef_b.jpg

22. Carefully slide the dampening rod out of the cartridge. Take care of when the threads reach the sealing surface on the brass portion of the cartridge.

23. Undo the locknut, and remove the rebound valve.

4503994848_98c2c2eb38_b.jpg

24. If the locknut backs off but the valve is stuck use the included soft jaws and clamp them on the damning rod. Remove the valve.

4503996098_c388b88c82_b.jpg

25. You will now have everything apart that we need. Make sure to use brake cleaner and clean everything. I used a bunched up paper towel and pushed it down the fork tube and also inside the cartridge. Using the dampening rod to push it back out. Be careful!! Don't just jam a paper towel in there you don't want bits of it floating in your new fork oil. Clean is key here wipe everything down.

4503997420_8330b3e194_b.jpg

4503367037_85c92c3bd9_b.jpg

4504000438_864b591ca1_b.jpg

26. This is where you will need to do some drilling. :dribble: Using the #1 drill bit in a hand drill carefully line up and drill down 1" into each of the dampener rods where the rebound valve attaches. Depth just needs to allow the needle to retract into the rod.

27. Take this time to check Race Techs website. Make sure you compression and rebound shim stacks are correct.

28. After drilling out the rod, insert the NEW needle and spring then screw on the rebound valve. Using the caliper measure the compressed rebound adjustment rod length. Now subtract your first number from this one. It says in the install manual that it should be .870, I ended up with .880 what can I say I am a perfectionist. .870 will need to be removed from end of the rebound adjustment rod. Do this however you feel comfortable. Luckily I work at a machine shop and just did all this at work. :assassin:

Sorry no pics.

29. remove the adjustment rod and loctite and install the rebound valves.

30. Make sure to install the NEW needle and spring before the valve body goes on.

4504002964_ef632c37a0_b.jpg

31. Install the new piston seal that came with the kit. When sliding this into the cartridge make sure the overlap is not lined up with the cross holes otherwise it can get caught and damaged.

4503373221_ab020c5539_b.jpg

32. Install O-ring on compression valve body. Add two drops 180 degrees apart on the 3rd of 4th thread in. This is enough to lock it and allows it to be smeared over the length of the thread. Too much and it will mush out and cause problems.

4503374475_b30b2b072c_b.jpg

4504007440_8c0302b571_b.jpg

The business end all together and looking good.

4504008564_e90f66a1c6_b.jpg

33. Reinstall the cartridge into the fork. Make sure not to forget the locking ring on the bottom. It will only go in one way. You may need to temporarily install the spring, washer, spacer, lock nut and cap. Then thread the cap in to stop the cartridge from spinning. I did not and was able to tighten down then toque the bolt to spec. When installing this bolt do not forget the crush washer. Remove cap, nut, spacer, washer, and spring, if you installed it to tighten the bolt.

34. Stand the fork upright and add the new fork fluid. Once you cover the cartridge, pump the dampening rod up and down. Quickly at first then slow until fluid comes out of the top of the rod. This removes any air in the cartridge and allows you to get a precise measurement of the fluid level.

4504009834_0e53b5c604_b.jpg

35. To correctly measure the fluid level extend the inner fork tube completely. From the top edge of the fork tube to the fluid level should be 110mm. Level should be checked with spring removed.

36. I measured 110mm on the rebound adjusting rod then slid it down until you can see it contact the surface of the fluid.

4503384301_a506fc96e4_b.jpg

37. Install the spring (tapered side down), washer, spacer, and nut. Don't forget to install the rebound adjustment rods. Install the cap and loctite that as well.

4503385443_459f34dc54_b.jpg

38. Reinstall the rebound adjustment knobs.

Reinstall your forks, wheel, fender, and calipers. :good:

Make sure to set your suspension is set to the numbers Race Techs website says....

I bounced on mine a bit just to make sure everything seemed o.k. and nothing seemed way out of the ordinary.

The Race Tech Gold Valve kit and springs transformed this bike. The front just glides over bumps around corners while I can feel the rear hitting each one. The front now holds an effortlessly tight line. By far the best mod I have done to the bike. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Very cool. I live about 1 mile away from Race Tech so all I had to do was drop the bike off for a couple of weeks for them to fab up the shock and rework the forks. It is pretty cool actually getting to see what they had to do up front to make the magic happen. I do agree that this change has totally changed the bike for the better, even though I was happy with it stock.

At least now when the time comes to replace the fluid I will have something to guide me :clapping:

Awesome job Scoobyvroom..... :clapping: A most precise pictorial and detailed read of how it's done, and what one should expect when doing the job.

I just requested a techslide about this earlier today......

I just pulled mine and was doing fine, however according to the fjrtech pages, the springs and washer should fall out when pouring out the oil....mine will not come out at all :dribble: .

The spring does push down, but cannot take the spring out. Do you have to use impact wrench just to take the spring out?...Is there something else keeping both of them in there.

Bike has 20k miles, 10k by me and by looking at the VIRGIN BOLTS and NUTS, I don't think it's ever seen a wrench, much less a fork oil change.

Oil looked like your in the pics, and poured like 2% milk....

Why won't that spring come out????...I got my new ones arriving tomorrow.

Thanks, for pics.

Why won't that spring come out????...I got my new ones arriving tomorrow.
Look at the pictures for 13,14 and 14b?? oops

You need to remove the cap. There then is a nut that retains the spacer, washer and spring. If the dampner rod is spining while you are trying to remove the fork cap or the locknut. You will need to get some soft jaws. You will have to compress the fork spring, washer and spacer to allow access to the dampner rod so you can hold onto it. Then back the nut, ot cap off.

Very nicely done. I wonder if you could find a market for the illustrations and instructions you've produced. When I rebuilt the forks on my Honda, it didn't look quite like that. In fact, it ended in disaster with me buying a replacement set of forks on Ebay. What I was missing (and needed) was an impact gun to remove the bottom bolt.

[SIZE=14pt]So You have to do this? Use the impact wrench?[/SIZE]

[12. Using an impact remove the bolt in the bottom of the fork leg, you will have to remove the two axle pinch bolts. You may need to reinstall the fork cap a bit and then compress the fork leg to put tension on the cartridge. This will stop it from spinning.

4503981366_353261019a_b.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]To achieve the spring out like this?[/SIZE]

13. Remove the cap with the cartridge.

14. There is a ring piece that is in the bottom the fork leg. This is to lock the leg before it bottoms out. Tip the fork leg over and get this piece out. You can see it just above the left side of the cartridge. (see picture)

4503982722_a33b7c8bce_b.jpg

14. Using a 14mm wrench on the locknut and a 17mm on the spring preload undo the lock nut.

4503352457_e1822e61f4_b.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]And then take the top adjuster cap off again to remove the spring?[/SIZE]

15. Remove fork cap and set in a safe place. You don't want this rolling off the table.

[SIZE=14pt]Okay....if so I got it...gotta go buy an impact wrench.[/SIZE]

Whoa boy... No need for that now. You only need the impact to remove the cartridge, I guess I need to make myself more clear.

These are directions just for you...

Put bike on center stand and remove front wheel and forks.

Loosen your fork cap and tip the fork upright.

Unscrew fork cap.

Using a 17mm wrench on top and a 14mm below undo the locknut.

Remove the fork cap off the dampening rod.

Remove the locknut off the dampening rod.

Remove the spacer and washer, and then the spring will slide out.

Install new springs and then reinstall everything you took out.

Doing the springs is a 1/2 hour job, they aren't even under any tension.

Whoa boy... No need for that now. You only need the impact to remove the cartridge, I guess I need to make myself more clear.

These are directions just for you...

Put bike on center stand and remove front wheel and forks.

Loosen your fork cap and tip the fork upright.

Unscrew fork cap.

Using a 17mm wrench on top and a 14mm below undo the locknut.

Remove the fork cap off the dampening rod.

Remove the locknut off the dampening rod.

Remove the spacer and washer, and then the spring will slide out.

Install new springs and then reinstall everything you took out.

Doing the springs is a 1/2 hour job, they aren't even under any tension.
I think Remington-Rider was having trouble like I did to get the locknut off the dampening rod. I've seen it done with a quick blip of an impact wrench from the top. I was able to do so (as you said) with an improvised 'soft jaws' clamping the dampening rod while loosening the locknut.

Fantastic write up showing all the fork internals! Tanks very much!

Excellent post.

For the $135 group buy cost for labor for the set, I'll let the Racetech experts handle it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Remington-Rider was having trouble like I did to get the locknut off the dampening rod. I've seen it done with a quick blip of an impact wrench from the top. I was able to do so (as you said) with an improvised 'soft jaws' clamping the dampening rod while loosening the locknut.
Fantastic write up showing all the fork internals! Tanks very much!
You may be right, if that is the case then you need someone to push the fork spring and spacer down. Use a rag and hold on to the dampening rod while you try to remove the nut.

Does that help?? Just take your time, you'll get it.

[SIZE=18pt]Eureka[/SIZE] :yahoo:

25. You will now have everything apart that we need. Make sure to use brake cleaner and clean everything. I used a bunched up paper towel and pushed it down the fork tube and also inside the cartridge. Using the dampening rod to push it back out. Be careful!! Don't just jam a paper towel in there you don't want bits of it floating in your new fork oil. Clean is key here wipe everything down.

4503367037_85c92c3bd9_b.jpg

[SIZE=18pt]Got it now[/SIZE]

Not seeing or doing (novice to forks) before. I now clearly see that I have to remove the top nut of the dapening rod, because that releases the spacer which I was mistaking for the dapening rod itself. So, using the soft grips and removing the top nut will release the spacer/washer/spring assembly.....Man, pics are great and I appreciate your patience in explaining. I should have just studied the photo more closely before.

I just received my Race Tech GV kit yesterday and am happy to be attempting to tackle this process myself with the included instructions and these great pictures... However, I have a question if anyone is familiar...

After printing the results from the Race Tech Digital Valving Search off of their website via the code that comes with the instructions, it mentions that the "Rebound Piston Bleed 1.0mm (#60)". In another area it mentions "Compression Bleed Hole: 1.0mm (#60)." I can't find anywhere within the included instructions or mentioned above about any drilling other than the required 1" deep #1 hole into the end of the dampening rod to accommodate the new rebound adjusting needle. Is anyone familiar enough to explain to me what I need to do about the mention of these other bleed ports? It just doesn't seem clear to me if I should be doing any additional drilling anywhere, and if so, where... That aside, everything else really is fairly straightforward so far... I know I can call RT tech support directly and have already tried that once, but they didn't seem for certain to understand what I was asking... so before calling back again, I thought perhaps someone here could help me... Thanks ahead of time if you can offer up anything!

In the meantime, I'm just on "pause" making sure that I get all of this done right the first time and anxious to see how the results will feel once I'm all done...

I guess no takers for my question about the possibly required 1.0mm bleed hole... Regardless, I came to the conclusion that since the valve is preassembled, that additional drilling wasn't necessary. If anybody knows or finds out differently, please let me know... I've completely reassembled my forks and reinstalled them on the bike with the RT kit and found the overall process quite painless with thanks mostly to these instructions! Thanks a lot to Scoobyvroom!