4th of July snow ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Just got a new Sargent seat for my FZ1 and decided to give it a good 250 mile run up Bucks lake Rd. and back Laporte rd.

Here's lake Oroville and our Mini green Golden Gate bridge

July42010snow001.jpg

July42010snow002.jpg

Now I get 50 miles of one sweet mountain road to Quincy, damn look at all the traffic.

July42010snow007.jpg

Then there was this stuff... at less than 6,000'

July42010snow008.jpg

July42010snow009.jpg

Well we needed and had a great wet winter, still see wildflowers up high.

So I stop in Quincy for gas but didn't run into these two trouble makers, that was during the Cal24 two yeas back

IMG_0006-3.jpg

But just as I was leaving town wishing I had a friend to ride with this guys goes by so I flip a u turn and turns out he was headed my way down Laporte Rd. We stopped at Colegate power plant before crossing Bullards Bar Dam while heading to Grass Valley

July42010snow015.jpg

July42010snow024.jpg

July42010snow025.jpg

Hey OM, thanks for joining me on a great ride today. As for the new seat on the FZ? I not sure my butt likes it but I have 30 days to get my $$ back from Sargent and they use their own pans (sure wish the other seat guys did) so I may just have to ride more to be positive about my purchase and it's too damn hot to ride my Gen 1.

Thanks for the pics, reminds me of my ride through there in Sept 08 although I do not recall any snow. I guess I have to start saving soon for my next USA odyssey.

You rode with OM on LaPorte Road??? Doesn't he have a kinda unique approach to "riding" that road?
I'd make him sign a contract: NO FLYING!
HEY -- yesterday, I took Judy up the hill via the back way (including ROLLINS LAKE RD.) as a shakedown ride for her new Motoport suit. Rode by a particular guard rail end support post and had a similar thought about NO HEAD BUTTING! Hoping I don't have to draft extensive, weasel proof "No Crashing" contracts prior to departure on this summer's rides.

:p

You rode with OM on LaPorte Road??? Doesn't he have a kinda unique approach to "riding" that road?
I happened to stop at the very corner and he showed me where he did some landscaping a while back.

He was doing a good job yesterday keeping up with the freezer and taking pictures at the same time :eek:

Great pics Doug! I went that way a day earlier and almost made chopped liver out of myself on Bucks Lake Road (the downhill section going into Quincy). When I came to Bucks Lake, I saw a sign pointing straight ahead saying Quincy 18 miles, however my GPS told me to take a left on this narrow road skirting Bucks lake into Quincy (it wouldn't show me which road it was, but I figured it was Bucks Lake Road). Is that the right way to go? Where does the other road go if I hadn't taken a left turn?

EDIT - I think I figured it out. I was supposed to continue on Big Creek Road which eventually joins up with Bucks Lake Road near Quincy, instead I turned left and took Bucks Lake Road all the way from the lake into Quincy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics Doug! I went that way a day earlier and almost made chopped liver out of myself on Bucks Lake Road (the downhill section going into Quincy). When I came to Bucks Lake, I saw a sign pointing straight ahead saying Quincy 18 miles, however my GPS told me to take a left on this narrow road skirting Bucks lake into Quincy (it wouldn't show me which road it was, but I figured it was Bucks Lake Road). Is that the right way to go? Where does the other road go if I hadn't taken a left turn?
EDIT - I think I figured it out. I was supposed to continue on Big Creek Road which eventually joins up with Bucks Lake Road near Quincy, instead I turned left and took Bucks Lake Road all the way from the lake into Quincy.
You! When I read your post of the pucker moment and I knew in your exactly where that happened. It's a real tight downhill right hander where the boat trailers kick out the rock. Yet when I rode the Big Creek way (no turns until the stop sign) I kept thinking perhaps I was wrong and I'd better watch for Sam's rocks. Once I hit the flat I knew for sure you went by the lake. At least I was thinking, eh?

Puppy, ride the SV up and we can do the loop! That road begs to be ridden with authority :rolleyes:

It will be time to ride the SV soon while the Feej awaits new shoes to be put on. I will be out the weekend of 16th for WWW in Ely and 23rd for WFO, maybe we can make a run up there Saturday July 10th.

As for riding that road with authority - I think I will be riding "the pace" till my confidence comes back and even then I would be riding good sight lines, I got shook up pretty bad and I would be pretty dumb if I didn't learn anything from that.

You can lead, I promise I won't hold up your fun too much.

It will be time to ride the SV soon while the Feej awaits new shoes to be put on. I will be out the weekend of 16th for WWW in Ely and 23rd for WFO, maybe we can make a run up there Saturday July 10th.
As for riding that road with authority - I think I will be riding "the pace" till my confidence comes back and even then I would be riding good sight lines, I got shook up pretty bad and I would be pretty dumb if I didn't learn anything from that.

You can lead, I promise I won't hold up your fun too much.
Still trying to pry the seat from your ass? How do you think I know exactly where you hit the gravel :rolleyes:

Sat may just work, let's PM this week, we could keep MR as a closer back up road if not too hot. Bug

Latest posts