G2 Throttle Tube vs Stock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbeavk

Bigbeavk
Reaction score
Since I see this question come up all the time I figure why not take some pics and post them up so one can see what the difference is between the G2 Throttle Tube and a stock one from my beautiful GenII 07 model. I recently bought the upgraded G2 with the delrin inserts. Note the stock tube is all plastic while both versions of the G2 are aluminum.

PICT0001-2.jpg

Next I took the cam off of the G2 and placed it over top of the stock tube. I marked the stock tube with a grease pencil to highlight the difference in the cam area. I lined up the cable holes for this shot since the inside of the G2 is not round it still gives you a good idea what the difference is.

PICT0004-1.jpg

More of the same shot only from the side. You can see the cable trough cut a little deeper on the aluminum part which leads to a smoother pull at low rpms.

PICT0005.jpg

Marked it with a Sharpie this time so I can use a dremel to cut that area off. Also I will use probably a hacksaw to cut the cable groove deeper to match the G2.

PICT0006-1.jpg

Before putting the upgraded G2 Tube on it's time for a little cable lube. Notice I put a small clamp on the cables so they stayed put. I've heard of them coming off under the tank on some people while doing this so I'm not taking any chances.

I had a bottle of pellet gun oil with the needle tip sitting around so I used some for the cables.

PICT0009-1.jpg

All back together now so time to ride. I hope this give people a better idea now of what's going on with the G2. I'll definitely get a PCIII someday but this along with the Spring Unwind mod sure helps for the time being.

Enjoy and ride safe!

:rolleyes:

So what's the feedback after having this installed for awhile. My shop told me the PC-V would have all but removed my low speed abruptness and the lurching from 1st to 2nd but it's still there. Does this mod help in that regard?

So what's the feedback after having this installed for awhile. My shop told me the PC-V would have all but removed my low speed abruptness and the lurching from 1st to 2nd but it's still there. Does this mod help in that regard?
Ahhhh... You too have an '07, the worst year model for jerky throttle. Yes, the 2007 can be smoothed out.

You need a PC-III or PC-V, G2 Throttle Tube, and a well-performed Throttle Body Sync.

I seem to recall a thread somewhere that proposes it is a bad idea to lube these cables, or any coated cables for that matter, because the oil just gums up the teflon or what ever they use to coat the housing. If it is not a coated housing then oiling is OK. If it is, then it never needs lubing.

I don't have a dog in that fight, so I can't say either way. :unsure:

Yep I've read the same thing about lubing the cables. I'm not sure whether ours are the ones that don't need it or not so I did it anyway. I only used a little light oil anyways. And yes to Jeff's statement about adding the PCIII or PC V that truly is the only way to get it really smoothed out. I just don't have the money for that and it's OK for me without it. Keep in mind I always have mama on the back so I need to focus on getting her home safe. There is no need for me to be outside of my own riding skills anyway. Someday I will get a PC module.

Yep

The ownwers manual "at least the 07" list cable lubing as periodic maintenance using either cable lube or 10w30 oil.

Yep

The ownwers manual "at least the 07" list cable lubing as periodic maintenance using either cable lube or 10w30 oil.
Are you sure they are not referring to the cable pivot points and not the cable itself? I think the pivot points are what is highlighted in the shop manual as needing to be lubed, and I'm pretty sure that is what they are indicating in the owner's manual. I too have an '07 (and have had an '06 and '04.)

I seem to recall a thread somewhere that proposes it is a bad idea to lube these cables, or any coated cables for that matter, because the oil just gums up the teflon or what ever they use to coat the housing. If it is not a coated housing then oiling is OK. If it is, then it never needs lubing.

I don't have a dog in that fight, so I can't say either way. :unsure:
Purchase some DuPont Tri-Flow from a bicycle shop or industrial supply house. Available in aerosol can or squeeze bottle. Mostest awesomest throttle cable lube on the planet. Carrier dries away and leaves Teflon particles behind. Doesn't attract dirt/grit either.

Yep I've read the same thing about lubing the cables. I'm not sure whether ours are the ones that don't need it or not so I did it anyway. I only used a little light oil anyways. And yes to Jeff's statement about adding the PCIII or PC V that truly is the only way to get it really smoothed out. I just don't have the money for that and it's OK for me without it. Keep in mind I always have mama on the back so I need to focus on getting her home safe. There is no need for me to be outside of my own riding skills anyway. Someday I will get a PC module.
Shop around patiently for a used PC-III. Works just great on an '07 and they are popping up used fairly often at good prices.