Where to buy a replacement battery?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
So I had my bike in the garage on a battery tender all winter. I go to start the bike and all I hear is a buzz whenever I hit the starter. It doesn't start up and the lights dim out. I noticed before the green light on the battery tender would turn on and say "Storage" when it was usually fully charged but all I get is the red charging light. My brother has the adapter version of the battery tender so I am giving that a try tonight into tomorrow.

I called up two local stealerships and the prices for batteries were $160-170 + tax...

So looking online I see one at Batterymart for $70

https://www.batterymart.com/p-YT14B-4-AGM-Maintenance-Free-Battery.html?Category_Code=yamaha-fjr1300-battery

Are there any other places anyone would suggest for a new battery?

Those are about $100. Do you know what the differences of the batteries are? If it just branding?

Those are about $100. Do you know what the differences of the batteries are? If it just branding?
Bike Effects sells WestCo batteries so they are the same product as Bike Effects. The battery you found is spec wise exactly the same as the WestCo battery. The obscure logo on the battery looks like an Interstate Battery logo. It should have very similar in performance and life as the WestCo.

You can go to the Yusa web site and look up their YT14B-BS which you can find here. Almost all the 12V14B-4 batteries are rated for 135 Cold Cranking Amps, whereas the Yusa is rated for 210 CCA. There are many here that see the 210 CCA spec and go :stunned: :man_in_love: and know in their heart that this is a vastly superior battery. I still haven't figured out how a battery with the same dimensions, the same weight, the same construction, the same immutable chemistry manages to make nearly 70% more power. I will mention that how CCA is measured is supposed to follow the same industry standard technique. Were a company to measure CCA slightly differently, then an identical battery would indeed have different specs. Not that a company looking for a competitive edge would ever do such a thing......

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are a couple of specific sources and the OEM online stores here, in the FAQ section: FJR OEM Parts and Farkle Sources.

Comparison information would likely come from a couple of our resident-member electrical experts... uhm...Ionbeam, to the white courtesy phone, please.

Wfooshee, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

My next battery will be a MotoBatt from Pashnit.com

2 year free replacement warranty from date of purchase.

YAMAHA FJR 1300 2003-2009 YT14BBS MBT12B4 $65.00

Got mine at a local M/C shop, much cheaper than the stealer. Check wal-mart, might be surprised at what you find.

"I still haven't figured out how a battery with the same dimensions, the same weight, the same construction, the same immutable chemistry manages to make nearly 70% more power."

Vapor physics? :unsure:

Specsmanship.....really? :p

Don't tell him about those new whizbang lithium batteries,

. ;)

"I still haven't figured out how a battery with the same dimensions, the same weight, the same construction, the same immutable chemistry manages to make nearly 70% more power."

Back in my OEM automotive days, I had my battery supplier at the time bring a dry unassembled battery we could use as a training aid. To make a long story short and oversimplified, it has to do with many things, plate surface area, number of plates, size of perforations, shape of perforations, method/size of attachment to bus bar, etc. which allow maximum exposure to electrolyte and maximum conductivity to the posts. I would think the OEM's (Yuasa, etc) spend the time engineering and testing, and the no-names just copy or buy a lesser version from an OEM and brand it as their own. From my experience, for the most part you get what you pay for, but at the same time, I have a hard time paying OEM prices.

Yep, that's all true but the CCA spec is tested at 0deg F and if a manufacturer doesn't let the battery soak for a few hours before measuring the CCA, the inside of the battery never reaches the test temp and can yield misleading results, albeit in their marketing favor.We've had subcontractors try and pull that crap of on us where I work but since we test to mil specs, we find those shortcomings right quick.

CCA's of 130 or 210 are somewhat meaningless since our starter draws less than 100A and most of us ride above zero F.

The Yuasa OEM battery's lifespan does speak for itself though.

A few years ago, I installed a Westco battery in my CBR1100XX. The damn thing died after 6 months so I replaced it with a Yuasa. I also replaced the original battery from my FJR1300 with a Yuasa also. They cost more than other batteries but their reliability and longevity seems to make up for the additional initial cost.

A few years ago, I installed a Westco battery in my CBR1100XX. The damn thing died after 6 months so I replaced it with a Yuasa. I also replaced the original battery from my FJR1300 with a Yuasa also. They cost more than other batteries but their reliability and longevity seems to make up for the additional initial cost.
I got about 4.5 years out of my last WestCo

I replace my Westco every 3 years as a maintenance item - used to use the old one with my Radio Control Airplane hobby

I tour & travel alot and don't want to be stranded with a internal shorted battery (rode 26k in 2010!)

I might do that next time, but put the new battery on one of my tenders and see how long the older one will last

Having a replacement handy might motivate me to keep the older one in service longer

I have asked on various forums and here if anyone has tried the Motocross, as it is Yuasa's aftermarket brand, alledgedly 210CCA, etc., but haven't yet found anyone who tried one. I'm leaning that way when it comes time for one for my Feej. The price is right also, so I figure it's worth a shot.

Under Yamaha warranty I was given a Yusa 210 CCA battery. The one they gave me did not perform any different than the 135 CCA stock battery and it did not live out 2 full years. I'm sure someone here will pipe up about a perfect Yusa 210 CCA battery that is 15 years old in their 6 year old FJR ;) Seriously, with batteries, YMMV because of the very different ways we all treat our batteries. Some people start often and ride short, always keeping the battery undercharged. Some people start their FJR on the Pacific coast, touch the Atlantic Ocean and return to the Pacific coast with only a small handful of starts in between, which will lead to longer battery life.

See if the battery seller can tell you what the cell durability or cycle durability rating of the battery is. This is truly the meaningful specification for the life expectancy of a battery. Every battery manufacturer knows this specification, most don't advertise it. Regardless of CCA, this figure will tell you the number of full charge cycles the battery has to offer during its life. Figure 900 cycles as an average number for a battery like the one used in the FJR. The CCA rating is usually inversely proportional to cycle durability.

I'm sure someone here will pipe up about a perfect Yusa 210 CCA battery that is 15 years old in their 6 year old FJR ;)
No, but I'm off to get a new battery for my old dodge pickup.. 16 years on a diehard :) Seems like they were 40-45 bucks back then.