Trooper modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper

Reaction score
So I happen to not want to spend 500+ on an aftermarket exhaust. I had a vfr that I modified the exhaust using a hole saw and a dremel cutoff wheel. Worked like a charm. I happened to do this to the fjr and guess what...it worked. I did it this week and sounds great to me. I can post pics and let yous guys know if you want. Sounds good, little louder than stock, but doesn't need power commanders and juice boxes to work.

So I happen to not want to spend 500+ on an aftermarket exhaust. I had a vfr that I modified the exhaust using a hole saw and a dremel cutoff wheel. Worked like a charm. I happened to do this to the fjr and guess what...it worked. I did it this week and sounds great to me. I can post pics and let yous guys know if you want. Sounds good, little louder than stock, but doesn't need power commanders and juice boxes to work.
Share Away! :clapping:

Pic's please!

I bought an extra set of stock exhaust to do the same thing. I want to cut about 4 to 5 inches off the end and fabracate some exhaust tips if i ever get time for my own projects.

Dave

Trooper Modification- I did this on my 08FJR. Black, because black high speed and low drag.

Tools necessary:

1. Purchase 1 1/2 inch(38mm) hole saw that works with drill. Bout $12. Make sure that it is made to cut metal also.

2. Use dremel tool with small cut off wheels.

Exhaust modification- Much easier than cutting the cans up and then having to weld them back together. Warning- it does take some of the back pressure out of the exhaust and causes the bike to pop on decel a bit more. I have not experienced any problems (No Flat spots in power) and it is not large pops/backfires. It is more of a pop/pop/pop, not bang or anything excessive-to me at least. The backfires are low and do not sound bad at all. Together with the more lower tone of the exhaust n

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh please hurry with the pics on this mod.

Yea the pops such as you mention happen with other after market exhaust as well.

I placed the D&D's on my 08' and it gives some popping on the deceleration.

But would you know it... the feller "08FJR4me", has some air induction covers that supposedly will

solve that issue for us both. Happen to catch that thread couple days ago. If I find I can't live with

the pop, then I will splurge the $39.00 bucks for the covers...

My only issue is; don't the bike need all them hoses and stuff, I mean if it didn't why would they put it in there?

See, my engineering novice is showing, because I haven't been exposed to the proper explanation of how it works.

Soon as we get them how to pics, I have a set of stocks that may just be tinkered with.

Sorry guys for some reason when I went back in to edit this thing one more time it didn't leave everything on there. Here It is.

Tools Necessary:

1. 1 1/2 (38mm) hole saw that works with drill- make sure that it is for metal as well.

2. Dremel tool with small cut off wheels.

Exhaust Modification

1. Remove Exhaust cans off of Bike, very simple, 2 bolts.

2. Use 1 1/2 inch hole saw and drill to cut the back of the exhaust, it fits right in the hole between the facia and the exhaust pipe it self- as you can see

https://picasaweb.google.com/hp6652/Mar3201103?feat=directlink#5580071814603551346

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bbMKt2Kf9F5caxB2Rk5hBQ?feat=directlink

-I found that the drill wanted to grab the exhaust to spin it over so use a towel to protect the exhaust from anything hard.

3. Use the dremel tool and stick it in the exhaust hole as far as it will go to cut the inside of the exhaust out.

-You will probably go through several small cut-off wheels so you must change them out.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2T6XuhJIyjhYeE8lEGRLdA?feat=directlink

4. Once you have done all of this you should have two exhaust ends that have come out of the end of the exhaust cans.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k6o5XMpWUZA9NnRfeyNhow?feat=directlink

5. Shake all of the filings and cut-off wheel filings out of the end of the exhaust can facia.

6. Use the dremel tool to touch up the inside cuts and the paint off of the hole-saw that got on the facia piece at the end of the exhaust.

7. Re-install the exhaust cans back on the exhaust. Get ready for a little bit louder note, but definitely not obnoxious.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EFHTLhb5JZd_iifihBMY5A?feat=directlink

As stated before I did this to my vfr and loved it, Did it this week and rode the bike about 100 miles and love it. Going around corners and giving gas sounds great. Spoke with a motorcycle mechanic and he said that the popping is not at all detrimental to the bike at that level. Just pulls a little of the back pressure out of the bike and the small pops are the result. No aftermarket exhaust for me, total cost for the hole saw and the cut-off wheel kit was approximately $22. Cost of having your FJR sound better and different than anyone else on the road(except those of you that do this mod)-Priceless.

Looks like a possible mod.......too bad we couldn't have before and after sound bytes!! I have the Garauld tail cones on mine, so they would cover up any surgery scars. Haven't decided to try it yet, but it is tempting if it gives JUST a little more growl.

Any way to blow those pic's up? This looks to easy. I think we are on to something here. When you get tired of the popping give me a buzz.

Wouldn't this be real easy to do while on the bike rather than take them off. ;) Just don't do it while running. :D

Dave

I haven't looked at my FJR's emission system yet, but typically the FI bikes will have an air injection system which can be disabled and capped (remove it entirely for easier access when performing maintenance) which will reduce or eliminate decel pop
smile.gif
May cause inspection fail if your state requires it, so perform at your own risk.

Thanks posting up the thread
wink.gif

Can't wait till you try it, your gonna thank me. Now we don't have to spend massive amounts for a nice sounding exhaust. You are welcome...(not trying to sound arrogant). Just know if you r like me, you want just a little bit more...inexpensively. this satisfies both. Best part, $22/ for a nice note exhaust, and rite now, nobody has it. Cut away, take your time.

Oh and I wouldn't leave the cans on because it is easier to use the dremel tool to spin it around so you can see what ur cutting. Also need to pull the filings out between the end and the facial piece.

Trooper; any chance you could upload a sound byte or video w/ sound?

Btw, a telescoping magnet might help get all of the shavings out of there ;)

Btw, a telescoping magnet might help get all of the shavings out of there ;)
Not if it's stainless steel.

[edit] Nevermind. I just checked with a little magnet. The outside layer of the cans is stainless. The inner part you'd be hole sawing and grinding on isn't. It's ferrous.

Haven't tried your mod yet, but here is a thought.....Use the hole saw on the cans before pulling off the bike to prevent unwanted rotation, then pull them to finish.

Leaving them on would probably work well to do the hole sawing. Another reason to pull them off would be because the cut-off wheels will grind down probably go through about 2 wheels each side so you probably would want to take them off, to get the filings out of the end.

On my '02 Connie we did the deed w/ a 18" long piece of re-bar and a BFH. Not my idea but it worked well at getting a 'little' more sound and a little better airflow w/o the cost.

We called it a baffelectomy and just poked (or sawed) a 1" hole thru 1 baffle. SISF was the tech guru who invented it and many other Connie ideas. Nobody ever removed the pipes to empty the filings....they did that automatically! ;)

Conventional wisdom says when you screw around with the intake or exhaust you mess up the correct mixture and loose power. I think this is generally true, but definately not always true. I had a 2008 Monster S4r and I took it to Seattle Ducati (who has a very high quality dyno) and got a complete map of the HP/rpm. Over the next two weeks, I opened up four extra holes in my air box, removed the back of the exhaust cans, opened up the back of the rear baffle a bit, and then put the backs of the cans back on. A few weeks later, went back on the same dyno, same guy running it, and picked up more HP across the entire range, with no flat spots, peaking at +7 HP at the top end. see pics in links.

https://sites.google.com/site/dadfriedrich/AirBoxMod.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/dadfriedrich/S4RcanMod.JPG

https://sites.google.com/site/dadfriedrich/April1208CalendarShot-med.JPG

I think computer controlled FI bikes can deal with it, but I wonder if you do the FJR mod, it should get some extra intake porting too?

(funny, just noticed in the exhaust pic, my former 2007 FJR is in the pic!)

Kurt

Latest posts