Tips for short folks with FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Bottom line is the FJR is a great bike but a little tall for those of us on the short side. By "short", I include myself at 5'6" tall with 30" inseam. Many of us (self included) have either strongly considered or actually have lowered the FJR but this is not without its consequences -- if you lower the FJR, you have to compromise a little -- for example, handling is affected, leaning angle is reduced, ground clearance is reduced etc. I'm sure you can certainly live with these things but I think that I could not. Plus there are times when I want the clearance especially for more spirited riding and perhaps to get that oil pan under the bike, etc. If you do lower the bike, you have the benefit of perhaps being able to flat foot it -- which just feels safer and perhaps may instill more confidence.

For those of you who choose not to lower your FJR, here're a few tips I've come up with that have made my FJR riding experience more enjoyable and perhaps safer. I would like to hear from other short riders on their ideas I may not have covered.

Wear boots that allow you to add a little height -- I wear these workboots that give me about 1/2" of height. I have some gel insoles for comfort and that maybe gives 1/8". The brand is Magnum and I got them at Sports Authority for $65; I've gotten them for $50 in the past though.

Flat footing it is overrated. I came from a cruiser so flatfooting it was standard. It made me feel good to have all of my feet on the ground but the bike was heavy enough that even with flat footing it, I could not back up in some situations.

To back up your bike, it's ok to get off the bike and push or pull it into place. I do this at work where there's a nice concrete strip for kickstands -- it's raised a little so backing up onto it is a chore if I'm on the bike. Pulling the bike back while off of the bike makes it much easier. Just practice until you get the right angle and don't end up pulling the wrong way and just wasting energy.

At stop lights or stop signs or anyplace you need to stop, look at the road and see which side it's highest on. That's the side you will use to put your foot down. Most roads are "crowned" to allow drainage -- this means that they slope to one side. You want your down foot to be on that side. If it's about even, don't be afraid to try to get both feet down even to the point of sticking one out a bit to get balance. This is a heavy bike so think about balancing it and not muscling it. Sticking a foot farther out can help balance and stabilize you when you come to a stop. I will sometimes stop with both feet out and be stopped for a second or so before one foot comes down. Remember when that foot comes down, it's not because the bike is falling fast -- it's because you're trying the keep the bike balanced and upright. It's not about strength, but balance.

Embrace the front end dive. When you stop hard or moderately hard, the front end likes to dive. Well, you just lowered the bike maybe an inch if for a second or so. Use that inch to figure out where you want to put your foot and get the foot situated quickly (i.e., in time for the rebound). Learn to make quick stops and get that foot down quickly -- I practice this in a parking lot where I will do a slalom type run and then hard stop, put my foot down for a few seconds and then make a quick left or right turn.

Move your butt forward on the seat; this is where the seat is the most narrow and it's where you can get the most out of the given length of your legs. For us men, don't go too close and brake hard -- this will protect the family jewels.

Remove the plastic height adjustment bracket -- I think that gave me about 1/4" lowering. It doesn't seem like much but it's noticeable. I don't think you need it anyway; at least in my case case, I'm not going to raise the seat.

Practice and get good at super slow maneuvers -- this reduces the need to put your feet down. There are times at stop signs when there're no cars waiting to go where I'll come to almost a complete stop and then go -- all while keeping my feet on the pegs. I usually try to at least go slow enough that the GPS shows zero mph.

Stretch by letting your leg(s) hang to the side. Short legs means your legs don't feel so cramped while on the pegs and on your toes -- so folks with shorter legs may find the FJR more comfortable while riding. To stretch, you can simply get your foot off the peg and let the leg hang -- taller riders will drag feet but shorter folks will enjoy the stretch. I tend to let the leg hang and then flex to help circulation.

Don't buy too tall of a windshield. I thought taller is always better and there is no such thing as too tall because you can always lower the windshield while riding. This is not necessarily true because the windshield only goes so low. You want to be able to see over the windshield -- in my case, I like to see over it a lot in a lot of conditions -- so, don't get anything too tall. Also, it's nice to be able to get good amount of wind on your face/chest; if the windshield is too tall, you cannot get the wind even with the windshield all the way down.

If anyone has any other 'short rider' tips, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Leg stretching or elongation is not an option :)

Thanks,

Dennis

Sorry ya missed the Breakfast Club on Sunday, it was a fun day out.

An auto upholstering shop can shave the seat down a bit, but just as important, the front of the seat can be narrowed which makes a surprising difference.

Adjustable lowering links would let you lower until you start to notice it impinging on your riding style then undo the last little tweak and you should be fine.

Herfjr has a lowered bike and I haven't observed that to make any difference to ultimate handling. In fact, it would be amazing if her lowered bike was inhibiting her cornering and riding 'cause she flys.

Mary Ellen solved her parking lot plights with her lowered FJR, dunno if this would work for you though:

IMG_4911sm.jpg

I have a 30"/31" inseam and have never flatfooted a bike in my life.

Didn't know you were "supposed to". I have not felt uncomfortable or insecure on the FJR.

I have a 30" inseam and can "Flat foot" my bike with both feet. No fancy lowering links, just a Corbin seat.

Why lower the bike when you can lower the seat?

KM

Have never had a "corbin" but... if I was positive it would help I'd buy one... seems there are so many indications of helping or not, alas.

But have shaved my own seats, and it does help! I'd shave the seat (or have someone else do it) first, I mean if that works out then the rest of the bike will be the same and then no worries ;)

5'8" but 28ish inseam.

I can't flatfoot it, but I can lean just a tiny bit to one side and get a single foot flat. I'm not uncomfortable when stopped unless I have a brainfart and stop in the middle of the lane and the truck ruts are deep.

Rick Mayer shaved the sides down a bit when building my seat keeping me same-same as stock when stopped. I CANNOT say this about the Corbin I had. Corbin probably could have fit it better if I had rode in, but the concrete nature of Corbin sent me running anyway.

Lowering isn't a great option for me as I already scrape - and I have a brand new rear shock and upgraded front.

I think the first thing to try is seat customization....

5'4" with 30" inseam.

I found flatfooting both feet is WAY overrated. I figure there's a reason all camera tripods are just that. TRI-pods. Three is much more stable than four (ever see a wobbly table or chair? Ever see a wobbly tripod?) I embraced leaning the bike to one side or other to put a foot down.

Scoot forward a little on the seat at stops (to get to the narrower part)

All the other stuff helps a lot too. small risers went a long way for comfort for me too.

Alexi

Great tips, I've been doing most of that stuff forever - 5'4" 29 1/2" inseam. Along with removing the plastic tray under the seat, I also removed the two front rubber bumpers to drop the front of the seat a little bit more. The seat will rub the plastic around the bottom of the tank slightly, but that's easily solved with a little bit of 3M paint protection film. I'm going to shave the seat down next, but have to find the time first.

Sorry ya missed the Breakfast Club on Sunday, it was a fun day out.

An auto upholstering shop can shave the seat down a bit, but just as important, the front of the seat can be narrowed which makes a surprising difference.

Adjustable lowering links would let you lower until you start to notice it impinging on your riding style then undo the last little tweak and you should be fine.

Herfjr has a lowered bike and I haven't observed that to make any difference to ultimate handling. In fact, it would be amazing if her lowered bike was inhibiting her cornering and riding 'cause she flys.

Mary Ellen solved her parking lot plights with her lowered FJR, dunno if this would work for you though:

Oh shoot. I didn't know there was a breakfast Sunday (yesterday); I totally would've been there. Wife was sleepy so slept in -- I went out riding at least until noon and then went more later. I thought I had things configured so I see an email on every New England post -- gotta check on that.

Hm... that technique looks like it would work but I'd have to bring folks with me all the time :)

I saw some adjustable lowering links but then got spooked because a bunch of folks commented on how they snapped. I'd like to be able to lower the bike when I want and then adjust it back up when I want without having to bring out a bunch of tools and make it a pain in the butt. If you have a suggestion on a kick butt (good quality and won't snap) set of lowering links, I might reconsider.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have a 30"/31" inseam and have never flatfooted a bike in my life.

Didn't know you were "supposed to". I have not felt uncomfortable or insecure on the FJR.
I'll keep that in my head next time I feel like I need to flat foot it. It's funny, slamming it around in the parking lot and one foot seems pretty secure. It's those stops with distractions on the streets that makes me want to get both feet down. The one that worries me is having a passenger needing two feet to keep the bike upright.

Thanks,

Dennis

I have a 30" inseam and can "Flat foot" my bike with both feet. No fancy lowering links, just a Corbin seat.

Why lower the bike when you can lower the seat?

KM
I've been trying to put it out of my head but my new Corbin should be here tomorrow :yahoo:

We'll see if it works out; if my butt feels better than what OEM seat provides after 100 miles it'll be worth it.

Dennis

5'8" but 28ish inseam.

I can't flatfoot it, but I can lean just a tiny bit to one side and get a single foot flat. I'm not uncomfortable when stopped unless I have a brainfart and stop in the middle of the lane and the truck ruts are deep.

Rick Mayer shaved the sides down a bit when building my seat keeping me same-same as stock when stopped. I CANNOT say this about the Corbin I had. Corbin probably could have fit it better if I had rode in, but the concrete nature of Corbin sent me running anyway.

Lowering isn't a great option for me as I already scrape - and I have a brand new rear shock and upgraded front.

I think the first thing to try is seat customization....
if the Corbin doesn't work out, I'll consider the seat shaping -- one big issue to this idea in the first place was I did not want to be not riding while the seat was being modified. With a second seat, that should mitigate that issue.

Dennis

5'4" with 30" inseam.

I found flatfooting both feet is WAY overrated. I figure there's a reason all camera tripods are just that. TRI-pods. Three is much more stable than four (ever see a wobbly table or chair? Ever see a wobbly tripod?) I embraced leaning the bike to one side or other to put a foot down.

Scoot forward a little on the seat at stops (to get to the narrower part)

All the other stuff helps a lot too. small risers went a long way for comfort for me too.

Alexi
Good thinking on the tri-pod idea -- I'll keep that in my head too when I only get one foot down. I also have a set of risers -- they increased comfort a little. I was worried that they'd make the bars too tall and make it harder to push the bike but I was wrong. I actually think they help make the bike easier to push.

Thanks,

Dennis

Great tips, I've been doing most of that stuff forever - 5'4" 29 1/2" inseam. Along with removing the plastic tray under the seat, I also removed the two front rubber bumpers to drop the front of the seat a little bit more. The seat will rub the plastic around the bottom of the tank slightly, but that's easily solved with a little bit of 3M paint protection film. I'm going to shave the seat down next, but have to find the time first.
hm... did you just pop the black rubber bumpers off? looks like they have protruding ends that insert into the plastic hole I'll give this a try. I was just kind of wondering if I need to put some material to keep from marring the frame.

Also, there are 2 rubber bumpers forward and 2 rubber bumpers back -- I'm thinking to remove all or just remove the back two in hopes of reducing the angle of that forward pitch built into the seat.

Thanks,

Dennis

There was a reason I didn't remove the back two (they pull out if you're careful and use a twisting motion), just can't remember what that reason was. I'll go out and take a look.

Hmm, after looking at it again, I have no idea why I didn't remove the rear ones now. Maybe I thought I need to slope towards the tank to reach the ground better, not sure. That was a year ago and I have a 10 second memory. Anyway, I think I'm going to pull the back ones out and try riding like that for awhile.

I was wrong about how to remove them, btw. Pull them out at an angle, reinstall them with a twisting motion.

5'6"/30" here...Corbin helped a ton, and I tend to tripod my stops whenever possible. Unless wifey is on the back, and then even her tiny body sinks the bike low enough I can for the most part flat foot both feet while two up.

Hmm, after looking at it again, I have no idea why I didn't remove the rear ones now. Maybe I thought I need to slope towards the tank to reach the ground better, not sure. That was a year ago and I have a 10 second memory. Anyway, I think I'm going to pull the back ones out and try riding like that for awhile.

I was wrong about how to remove them, btw. Pull them out at an angle, reinstall them with a twisting motion.
Hey, I pulled all 4 bumpers out and rode to work today -- getting my foot down felt a bit easier. I'm sure I got the seat lower because if I stretch a little and get close to the tank, I was able to flat foot it (remember I still have my taller boots and insoles too).

The pitch is reduced and that seems to feel more comfortable as I don't feel like I'm being pushed into the tank as much. The bike feels better -- maybe because I'm lower? either way, good idea -- Thanks!

Dennis

Also keep in mind that Corbin does make "custom" seats... So if needed you can have them make the front of the seat a bit more narrow for you. This can help your reach to the ground with your legs alot, along with just having a lower seat.