Schuberth C3 Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDRydr

A Homeless Nomad
Reaction score
Since I've posted this information a couple of times as replies to folks asking "where did you purchase your C3" or "is a Schuberth C3 worth the price" I figured I ought to just put it out here for everybody.

Ya get what you pay for. I've owned a C2 for years, and will be moving to a C3 as soon as I'm back from a 10-day ride that starts tomorrow. I just bought one for my wife (her first full-face helmet) and setup a Sena Bluetooth unit in it. While I had it apart to install the Sena unit I learned even more about how well built the helmet is, and how easy it is to work on and remove the liner for cleaning.

For special pricing (call him to see how special) and free shipping talk to Clint Lawrence at JC Motors (jcmotors.com) (949) 419-0555 or email him at clint @ jcmotors dot com Tell him Dennis sent you. (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

FYI, to make the Sena SMH10 work with a Schuberth helmet you need the SMH-A0302 backing-plate kit with the detached mic. Or if you use custom-molded earplugs get the SMH-A0304 kit. And you need to use 3M Adhesive Promoter on the helmet before sticking the backing plate onto the helmet to make sure the adhesive sticks well. You can find it in small packets at some auto paint supply stores. There's some pics of an install on a C3 on this page (scroll down)

Last edited by a moderator:
What made you choose the SMH10 over the Scala built into the neck roll? And do you notice any additional drag/buffeting/noise with Sena on the side? Is it still easy to operate located far enough back to accommodate the visor lever?

I chose the Sena because:

1. It's cheaper (I can buy two complete Sena setups for the cost of one Schuberth one).

2. It's the only setup that I know of that allows for use of custom-molded earplug speakers, which I use.

3. I can move (share) the main Sena unit between helmets by just purchasing an additional backing plate.

4. I'm pretty sure operating the Schuberth unit is going to be difficult with large winter gloves.

I'm not using the setup yet, my wife is on her new C3. She loves it. She's said nothing about any buffeting, but then again she's sitting behind me! She says it's plenty loud even with earplugs and she has no problems operating the large jog-dial with her gloves on. On a recent trip the charge on the unit easily lasted the entire riding day (although it won't work for my long-distance riding).

I'm still using my Starcom in my C2 helmet, mainly since it's all wired into the bike along with all the inputs (V1, iPod, XM receiver, GPS, cell phone) and the Sena would require a charge long before I'm done riding for the day. But I'm putting a Sena unit in my new dual-sport helmet that I wear on my V-Strom. And I may purchase a C3 for myself, mainly to use when we ride 2-up so we can easily communicate (right now we just call each other on our cell phones).

FYI, installation in the C3 was a snap. Just be sure to use the 3M Adhesive Promoter before sticking on the backing plate.

Last edited by a moderator: