Labor Day Weekend Colorado Extravaganza!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaharaJp99

Reaction score
Well, my fellow Southwestern FJR forumites, I am planning a 3 day excursion thru Northern, Western, and South Western Colorado that anyone is more than welcome to join.

Here is the route that is tentatively planed: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213819400154367286915.0004aa051a55310a44b4c&msa=0

Will be staying at the Days Inn in Montrose, CO for both Sat and Sun evening. 20% discount if you book 14 days in advance, non-refundable though. Hotel is clean, has a nice pool, and a hot breakfast included in the rate(well, atleast last time I was there they did, don't suspect it has changed).

If anyone from a distance wants to do it from the start and finish I have a spare bedroom and plenty of places for air matresses in the house, or more than enough room for tents, campers, rv's on the property, and anyone is welcome to stay before or after.

Will be roughly 1,400 miles from here, leaving early Saturday morning, returning mid evening Monday.

If you want to join, even if for part of the way, post up or PM me!

Josh

5030687412_3976deb405.jpg

5030688440_5246efb800.jpg

5030071527_20cdff202c.jpg

5030071301_d2d88ba696.jpg

Make sure ya make this stop at black canyon on the 92!

Great pictures marcusorelius! Wish my dog was small enough to bring in one of the saddle bags, but unfortunately my 85lb Weimeraner just won't fit!

Great pictures marcusorelius! Wish my dog was small enough to bring in one of the saddle bags, but unfortunately my 85lb Weimeraner just won't fit!
You just need to get yourself a boat of a motorcycle like BeemerDon did with his new K1600 GT! With the size of that thing, your child-sized dog should fit just fine!

You just need to get yourself a boat of a motorcycle like BeemerDon did with his new K1600 GT! With the size of that thing, your child-sized dog should fit just fine!
+1, Gunny; I wish my 100lb. Labrador Retriever "Bear" (Oso en Espanol!) would want to go riding with me, his predecessor "Cal" a 90lb. German Shepherd would jump into my Harley-Davidson sidecar rig every time I would open up the garage door.

Josh and phroenips, Big-D and I need the help of you Colorado residents for SW-FOG 2012. Dan C. and I want to move SW-FOG to Colorado in mid-August on a weekend in 2012. Any suggestions for a rally site would be most appreciated by us!

Dan and I, plus seven others, rode up to Gunnison, Colorado to visit Dave and Kendall (pinhead and Mountain Mama) in 2009. We were thinking Gunnison for the second or third weekend of August 2012. Any other locations you guys recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1, Gunny; I wish my 100lb. Labrador Retriever "Bear" (Oso en Espanol!) would want to go riding with me, his predecessor "Cal" a 90lb. German Shepherd would jump into my Harley-Davidson sidecar rig every time I would open up the garage door.

Josh and phroenips, Big-D and I need the help of you Colorado residents for SW-FOG 2012. Dan C. and I want to move SW-FOG to Colorado in mid-August on a weekend in 2012. Any suggestions for a rally site would be most appreciated by us!

Dan and I, plus seven others, rode up to Gunnison, Colorado to visit Dave and Kendall (pinhead and Mountain Mama) in 2009. We were thinking Gunnison for the second or third weekend of August 2012. Any other locations you guys recommend?
Gunnison would be a good place, Buena Vista would be similar, and closer proximity to Independence Pass going into Aspen. That can get really crowded though, so not sure how feasible that would be as a day ride for a big group. If you wanted to check out the northern half of the state, Craig, near Steamboat Springs, might be pretty good too (Although, I haven't personally ridden up there yet), or following in the footsteps of the last NAFO, you could always do Denver/Golden again. Check out this site: https://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/ I haven't done all of those routes yet, but I've done quite a few, and none of them have disappointed.

Finally, even my hometown of Colorado Springs would make a decent "home base." I can think of a few trips, some in the 3-4 hour, others in the 6-8 hour range that might be fun, including some routes to include a stop at Bishop Castle or the Great Sand Dunes National Park

I think Gunnison would be a great place to have it. Pretty much central to a lot of good riding that could easily be done in a day. Black Canyon, Gateway 141 to the West, Monarch and 114 to the East, Wolf Creek Pass and Million Dollar Hwy to the South, Independence/Aspen to the North. Granted, some of those rides would be pushing 300 mile days, but you can make up some pretty decent time in those areas.

I would advise against Craig, it would be great for a dual sport locale, but for the FJR's there just aren't a whole lot of "good" paved roads up that far North. You'd have some real big mile days to hit tight twisties.

Buena Vista has a lot of good riding around it, but the Southwestern rides might be out of touch from there.

My vote so far would be Gunnison!

Thanks phroenips and Josh, All indicators are pointing to Gunnison for SW-FOG 2012! Thanks for your input, Guys! Now we just need a hotel for 50+ guests; with dinner.

Last edited by a moderator: