Complete Illustrated Guide to Head Lamp Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigRegs

Reaction score
Both low beams blew out within a couple of days of each other, so I searched the forum looking for instruction on replacing headlamps. Found a good explanation from SouthernCruizer's post in this thread, and decided to supplement those instructions with purty pitchers for those of us visual learners.

I'd recommend starting on the left lamp because it is far more accessible than the right. Once you get the left changed, you'll know what to look (and feel) for on the right side.

First remove the A, B, C & D panels. Here's the view looking at the left side.

Left-01copy.jpg

First pull straight back on the headlight plug to remove it from the bulb. Heres' what you'll see:

Left-02copy.jpg

In the first photo you'll see the boot tab labeled. There are two of them on opposite sides; they may be anywhere around the perimeter of the boot. Pull on a tab to work the boot loose from the housing. It's a firm fit, it takes some tugging to work it free. With the boot removed, you'll see the spring clip that holds the bulb in place:

Left-03copy.jpg

Push the loop on the end of the clip toward the front of the bike, and then up to release it. In this photo, you can see the metal hook that holds the clip; it's like a "J" lying on its back:

Left-04copy.jpg

With the clip disengaged, the bulb will practically fall out. Replace it with the new bulb, orienting the bulb tabs with one at the top and one on each side. Then replace the spring clip, work the boot back around the housing and replace the plug.

Now for the right side. This one's tucked behind the battery and lots of other stuff, so you'll be working by feel a lot. Here you can see the lower left portion of the boot. The headlight plug is hidden behind all of the wiring et. al.

Right-01copy.jpg

I gave myself a little bit of room by removing the temp sensor from its mount and pushing it to the left, and by sliding the indicated relay off its metal mounting tab.

Right-02copy.jpg

After working blindly by feel, I got the headlight plug off and the boot removed:

Right-03copy.jpg

The headlight clip works just like the other; it hooks on the right side. Replace the bulb, get the retainer clip re-hooked and the boot back in place, and return the sensor and relay to their locations.

Nice write up, I'm sure it will be useful to many "first timers" for changing their bulbs. Whatever did we do before the internet? Me, I swore a lot more. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
didn't know the Gen II's have a cable operated tach and speedometer

(I guess it's the mechanisms for adjusting the headlights on the fly...is it a PIA to reattach removing panels?)

Left-03copy.jpg

Excellent - thanks!

Patriot - not so bad re-attaching panels.. getting the headlight adjuster cable in place first is the key.

Great write-up Craig!

With practice (and smaller than gorilla sized hands), I can replace either bulb without removing any panels. But it's probably a good idea for the first timer and it does make it easier for us experienced bulb changers. :ph34r:

One addition I've found that's very helpful for future changes is to put some dielectric grease on the boots. Makes it MUCH easier to get the boots on and off!

Nice write up.

FWIW, I have replaced both bulbs without removing any of the panels. It is far from easy, but it can be done. I had to replace one on the side of the road, but luckily it was still light out and it was the left one. Replacing a bulb in the dark would SUCK, especially if it was the right one.

I've changed headlights in parking lots b4.
For an exceptional treat, try changing them on the side of the road at 2am... in pitch black darkness at a 7000' summit..... with ambient temps less than 40 degrees F..... with cagers whizzing by 2 feet from you at 70+ mph....

All while it's raining. Hard. :(

For an exceptional treat, try changing them on the side of the road at 2am... in pitch black darkness at a 7000' summit..... with ambient temps less than 40 degrees F..... with cagers whizzing by 2 feet from you at 70+ mph....

Where's a 7000 foot summit with 2am traffic and no pulloff? Just curious.... :p

Really nice writeup and photos! I'm going to bookmark this as my originals are still in there. Visual works for me.

Ok, how do you change them without removing the panels? I tried reaching in from below, but couldn't get find enough clearance for my hand, much less room to remove a boot and pull a bulb. And my mitts aren't that big. Some secret passage I'm missing?

Great write up, my right low beam just went out today(while on a 1,650 mile trip). I was wondering how I am going change it, got 72,000 miles out of the bulb. I guess I have been lucky.

I watched an experienced mechanic change out my burned out bulbs on my old 04 several years ago. It was a SOB of the highest order and he had done it before. I'm not changing and bulbs out unless they are toast.

GP

A different flavor: I have swapped a ballast and bulb on a HID set in Austin, NV while a Sportster with a 3.1 gallon tank was refueled.

Pretty quick heh? Warchild still wins for darkness, rain and danger. :unsure: