Great Cleaning Tip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flapsup

Reaction score
We know something about cleaning bugs off the plastic parts here in Flori-duh, and I thought I had it down with wet towels and a little bit of spray on bug remover, but a car guy gave me a great CHEAP bug cleaning tip that I was very skeptical about till I tried it!

DRYER SHEETS - that's right, regular old stolen from the laundry room dryer sheets!

Spray down the bike, knock off what you can with your bare hand, then dampen a dryer sheet and apply gently. Let it sit for about three minutes, rinse and then wash with your favorite cleaning soap. The bugs fall off. It's absolutely amazing how quickly and how well it works.

And if you use the scented one, yur bike smells purty too!

Works great on face shields and helmets too!

Wet a towel or cloth with hot water and just lay it on the bug coated surface for a minute and the carnage comes right off.

Skin so soft was the only thing that worked on the sand fleas at Parris Island.

Wet a towel or cloth with hot water and just lay it on the bug coated surface for a minute and the carnage comes right off.

Skin so soft was the only thing that worked on the sand fleas at Parris Island.
Hot water soaked towel is the method I use and it makes the process pretty much effortless.

I've used dryer sheets in my shoes/boots before and they do work to kill odors, but this is a new one on me, heh.

That Skin so Soft is some mysterious stuff, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle, spray and wait a few, they start to foam up and rinse, it get all the bugs in the areas that is hard to reach to, great for the collection in the radiator area.

use a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle, spray and wait a few, they start to foam up and rinse, it get all the bugs in the areas that is hard to reach to, great for the collection in the radiator area.

Marcus

06 FJR

04 R6

Previous Bikes: 00 Honda ST1100, 97 Triumph Tiger, 82 Suzuki GS1100E

"THE OLDER I GET.... THE FASTER I WAS"

This is what I have been using for years. It is nice to see the bugs just foam up and drop off. I had not thought about using it to spray the radiator, that is a great idea.

What ever happened to good old soap and water? Let them soak for a bit, use a clay bar to get the hard crusty ones off.

Back to basics...

Like I said, I didn't believe it either!

I've done the wet towel and let it sit thing, and peroxide, and S100, and a lot of other commercial products to remove bugs. Peroxide is great for cleaning out the radiator fins, but this is just so simple and easy for bug removal. And did I mention CHEAP!

The dryer sheets hold an amazing amount of fabric softener, and there is literally no effort involved. Spray the bike, dampen the sheet, apply gently, rinse. One sheet is enough to do both sides of the windshield, the fairing, both fork legs and the front fender. Only your girlfriend is easier.

I use a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and water a 50/50 mix in a spray bottle, spray and wait a few, they start to foam up and rinse, it get all the bugs in the areas that is hard to reach to, great for the collection in the radiator area.
I'll have to try both these tips, thanks. Wondering if the peroxide hurts the paint if left on too long?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're on the road and need to clean your windscreen or headlights, try some Coca Cola. It works great on love bugs. :)