FJR Tech Day III Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerGeek99

Yeah, it's a concrete corn cob. So?
Reaction score
So, this past weekend was FJR Tech Day III at Casa de Bustanut joker.

There were a few of us there.

We took a few pictures.

Before lift-off.

Provisions. Sooze decided she didn't wanna freeze in the wind, rain, and chilly temperatures so she drove. This would prove to be beneficial. So would the provisions.

FJRTechDayOct11001.jpg

We are beer snobs. How could we turn this down?!?

FJRTechDayOct11002.jpg

Friday, 10/13/2011

Moi.

FJRTechDayOct11003.jpg

No rain, but it was a wee bit chilly and pretty windy.

FJRTechDayOct11004.jpg

And the sun went down.

FJRTechDayOct11005.jpg

We got to Bust's place around 10:30 that night. Bust was in ... uh ... rare form.

I'll leave it at that.

Some work was underway, but it was getting late and didn't last long, so eventually we just sat around shooting the shit.

Bust disappeared (AKA went to bed and passed out) and a few of us stayed up and this guy - TripperMike, all the way from Minnesota! - rolled in at 3:30 Saturday morning.

IMG_0001.jpg

Sooze, MizzBust and Anthony all up wayyyyy too late.

IMG_0002.jpg

FJR's were worked on.

FJRTechDayOct11006.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

That's my bike on the left. It's missing something...

IMG_0005.jpg

These weren't mine.

IMG_0006.jpg

Bust (background) and RaYzerman were working on my forks, though.

IMG_0007.jpg

Bust even cleaned the thousands of miles of road grime off my fork thingamajiggies.

IMG_0009.jpg

Bust and Ray are 'special' friends.

IMG_0010.jpg

An FJR missing all the crap off the front.

IMG_0011.jpg

Wonder why Bust had these laying around....

IMG_0012.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Andy, I knew about the streaming live video but was to skeered to look.

UselessPickles showed up, new front rubber ready for installation.

FJRTechDayOct11007.jpg

Me and Tom (huron52) - I actually explained how the TrooperMod works. Me. Explaining something mechanical-ish. Be afraid.

FJRTechDayOct11008.jpg

My bike patiently awaiting the forks to be reinstalled.

FJRTechDayOct11010.jpg

Pickles checking things out.

FJRTechDayOct11011.jpg

I even brought a shirt -just- for the occasion.

FJRTechDayOct11012.jpg

Checking out the forks.

FJRTechDayOct11013.jpg

Eventually we had some streaming video up and running. I'm still amazed that there are people out there that are so hurting to find a life, that they watched us. Weirdos.

IMG_0013.jpg

Good thing Tom was there to hold up the wall. Otherwise ... sheesh - just think of it.

FJRTechDayOct11014.jpg

Kinda looks like Bust is proposing to Dolly or something, ya know?

FJRTechDayOct11016.jpg

I knew about the streaming live video but was to skeered to look.
You are wise beyond your years.

My bike 'Fang' with one fork.

FJRTechDayOct11017.jpg

Ray helped Pickles with his tire removal, installation, and balancing.

IMG_0014.jpg

Notice Bust's bike in the background, standing straight up, no side-stand, no center stand. Amazing what a rear car tire can do.

IMG_0015.jpg

First time I've seen a front tire swapped out without an actual tire-changing machine. I kinda think that I could maybe do that. Maybe.

IMG_0016.jpg

Dolly camped out on my windshield and was pretty casual about things.

IMG_0017.jpg

A couple more guys showed up, including Rick (Fastalk) who brought this little momento to go in Bust's sheep-cave.

IMG_0018.jpg

New rubber on up front, Ray helped out Pickles doing some fluid-flushing.

FJRTechDayOct11019.jpg

We all felt safe in Owosso. Bust has trained attack floof-ball dogs who were on duty all the time.

FJRTechDayOct11020.jpg

Tom and I supervised the operations, and made sure the provisions were up to snuff.

FJRTechDayOct11021.jpg

This would be an omen. An ominous one for my bike.

FJRTechDayOct11022.jpg

Oops. Got the pictures outta order. Deal with it. Schweet banner / poster, though, so say the least!

FJRTechDayOct11023.jpg

FJRTechDayOct11024.jpg

Dunno what the hell they were talking about.

FJRTechDayOct11025.jpg

Dude - your headlight is on! Get it!?! I crack myself up sometimes...

FJRTechDayOct11026.jpg

So - the bottom line: my bike did not go back together. A valve in my right fork snapped. Considering the wear on one of the fork tubes (bike has 83,000+ miles on it, and for the 40K I've put on it, a couple of cover thingies have been missing) and the snapped valve - anyone got a used FJR fork laying around for a good price? Or, at least, a valve?? The bike is at Bust's place until I can get the park(s) and get back up there.

Sooze had gotten us all some rubber-band thingamabobs with little names on 'em to put on our provisions so we'd know which provision belonged to who. Whom. Whatever. She chose this one.

FJRTechDayOct11027.jpg

Mine, of course, says, "Geek."

Bust made us some commemorative sheep-tags for the event. I guess Canadians don't get it.

IMG_0019.jpg

Bourbon seemed to get his attention, though.

IMG_0020.jpg

We even had door(k) prizes!

IMG_0021.jpg

Not that I'm a dork, or anything. Maybe I'm becoming Canadian or something.

IMG_0023.jpg

Same for Sooze.

IMG_0022.jpg

Eventually, Tom's True Self came out.

FJRTechDayOct11030.jpg

Yes, they're both in a hula-hoop. Weirdos.

FJRTechDayOct11031.jpg

Finally, Bust had all of us hooting (and, for me, snorting) with laughter as he got one of his dogs to do an impression of a Gremlin.

FJRTechDayOct11032.jpg

Gremlin as in the critter from the movie, not the car.

FJRTechDayOct11033.jpg

That does it, although Bust and I may have stayed up too late and may have called some of you folks that night...

Quite a turnout...TripperMike - Holy Crap!

...and Tom/huron52...that guy is everywhere.

Andy, hope your bike gets back to Ohio soon. It's getting Michigan cooties...

Oh man Andy...thanks for posting those pics. Had me chuckling in the chair the whole time, kinda like you guys had me in stitches most of that day.

Someone (I forgot who) asked why I came all the way out there if I had nothing to be worked on on my bike. Heck it was to see if you all really were certifiably insane. I've filed my report with the state psycho board. The straight jackets should be arriving soon. :dribble:

The miles are never too many if there are good memories to be had.

What’s this girlie soda all y’all were drinkin’?

FJRTechDayOct11001.jpg

You morons! You don’t have to pull the front end off to change your radiator fluid! Didn’t any bonehead there have a service manual?

IMG_0005.jpg

Very cool banner!

IMG_0018.jpg

Looked like a great time and some serious stuff got done. Barry’s just too cute!

Thanks for my new screensaver Andy, nothing makes me happier than seeing pics of my FJR Forum Friends riding, wrenching and laughing along with our favorite bikes!

IMG_0010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for my new screensaver Andy, nothing makes me happier than seeing pics of my FJR Forum Friends riding, wrenching and laughing along with our favorite bikes!

IMG_0010.jpg

:eek: Now I know why Dolly was so pissed Saturday night..........

geez, not one pick of Geek groping his own ass

guess ya had to login live for that

I hope I have a life by Spring LOL

While you guys were playing around with fork maintenance, did you notice if the bushings on the Gen 1 wear like the ones on the Gen 2? I have changed my fork oil and springs, but never looked at the bushings.

It looked to me like the Gen 1 bushings all had teflon on the outer diameter, but was worn off on the inside diameter... copper showing fairly uniformly all around it (as if they are turning during use), and rather ideal IMHO. None were terrible that I could see (no total lack of teflon). BlindSquirrel's were worn but could have gone further, can't remember what he had for mileage.... I'll be pulling my Gen2 bushings this winter (40k miles) and we'll see what they look like.

It looked to me like the Gen 1 bushings all had teflon on the outer diameter, but was worn off on the inside diameter... copper showing fairly uniformly all around it (as if they are turning during use), and rather ideal IMHO. None were terrible that I could see (no total lack of teflon). BlindSquirrel's were worn but could have gone further, can't remember what he had for mileage.... I'll be pulling my Gen2 bushings this winter (40k miles) and we'll see what they look like.
Thanks Ray. I think I'm going to just flush and refill the fork oil again this winter. If there I am ever able to attend one of the tech days then I may try replacing the bushings and seals, but I don't have the tools or experience to try it myself unless it is absolutely necessary.