Tach and Speedo Overlays

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueman

blueman
Reaction score
Still looking for a company that might make custom Tach and Speedo Overlays. I plan on installing LED's replacing the stockers and would like to see if I have any options for the Overlays while I am in there.

No exactly sure what you are specifically looking for, but I have it on my to-do list to create overlays to add imperial speeds to my metric speedo. What'd you have in mind for an overlay?

I am considering a transparent overlay on the outer glass but would prefer putting it on the guage face. Haven't looked into how difficult it is to get inside the cluster. Is that pretty easy?

Perhaps along the lines of some "speed" shops for autos that do custom "skins" for gauge clusters.

Unlike autos, bikes have to be water tight. Cracking them open can be done but it's not a simple split of the casings. Some have to have heat to loosen glue. Specifics about the FJR are best left to someone who's done it (eg: not me).

I bet the OP wants flames on his faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
The instrument overlays are a thin sheet stuck to the base plate of the gauge. When you tighten the screws the screw head bites into the thin overlay which may cause it to debond from the base and want to follow the screw head by twisting. Add heat and the debonded sheet will expand and bubble. By adding a fiber washer it may buffer the twisting action between the screw head and the thin sheet.

If you contact this vendor there are many other options open. Some Forum members have successfully purchased from this guy and had a successful gauge face install. Installed picture (the picture is a clickable link)

The white needle on the white gauge face may not be optimal.

Here are just a few of the gauge faces that are available.

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%201.jpg

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%203.jpg

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%204.jpg

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%205.jpg

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%2033.jpg

Yamaha%20FJR%201300%20MODEL%2019.jpg

Oh ya, the vendor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts