Combat Commuting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
Never had this happen before. Heading south on I-45 thru Spring in heavy morning comutter traffic, trying to reach the relative safety of the HOV lane below 1960. Bumper to bumper, no advantage in trying to change lanes, they're all slow. I'm in the #1 lane, close to the left hand side but not into the emergency breakdown lane. I find a white pickup truck close on my ass, speeding up and slowing down, getting close enough to fill my mirrors. Just keep an eye on him, I think.....

I hear what seems to be a horn but sounds more like one of those buzzers at a loading dock. I look all around but don't see anything out of the ordinary when suddenly the truck PASSES ME ON THE RIGHT IN MY LANE!!!! HOLY SHIT, DID THAT JUST HAPPEN? :shok: :shok: :shok:

So the moron zooms down to the next car in front and immediately gets held up. I back waaaay off and wait for somebody to pull in between me and him. Shit! He continues on, in completely jammed up traffic (think I-405 thru Sepulveda on Monday morning), alternating speeding up and hitting his brakes.

WTF was this guy thinking? Did he have a handfull of bennies with an energy drink chaser for breakfast? I just can't fathom what the object of this stunt was......

And I had been gearing up this morning, looking at my boots, trying to decide to wear them or just go with my street shoes. I recalled FJR Remmington crashed in almost the same place a while back and he said he hadn't bothered with his boots that morning and paid for it with a busted ankle. OK, boots on, just in case. I had also just read an ATGATT article in MCN the night before. Almost seems like the "watch for the signs" thing from Final Destination. I'll watch for The Signs for sure now. :superstition:

Pay attention out there, you may think you've seen it all but, I can guarentee, you haven't!

What a fucking idiot.......

^^ Double and triple gunny!

I've had idiots do that to me in SoCal, not fun.... :glare:

Texas being a shall issue CCW state, and also having the "He needed killin' law", I'm surprised he did that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Double and triple gunny!

I've had idiots do that to me in SoCal, not fun.... :glare:

Texas being a shall issue CCW state, and also having the "He needed killin' law", I'm surprised he did that. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

True. Thanks, I needed that. I'm surprised too, he must have been on something

Holy cow! That'll piss you off. I had someone do that to me when I had my Sportster and couldn't go fast or see anything 'cause of the vibration and no wind screen at the time. Suddenly a pickup (rural two-lane road) passes me mostly in my lane, and no on-coming traffic.

Here in Kali if we get an aggressive ass-hat on our tail during thick rush hour, we can pretty easily pop around the car in front of us to put it between us and the A.H.

Commuting's a bitch. You want to just relax and enjoy the ride, but within minutes the adrenalin spikes and you have to start managing your annoyance and sometimes anger. And you have to get aggressive (pro-active) to stay away from all the distracted and angry drivers. It's a real cauldron out there. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
On better days I try to think that the poor guy's mother may have just had a stroke, or his wife has just gone into labor. There may be extenuating issues. on bad days I pull over and call him in as a drunk driver, obviously, a sober person would not drive that way. Once, and only once, I kicked the SOB's marker light out on a high speed C-YA. Not proud of that one.