Dewatto Bay Washington State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
During Christmas due to family obligations I was stuck in Llano, Texas. Perhaps I could have rented a motorcycle in Austin but Texas Hill Country has so many Forest Rats riding there will dramatically shorten your life expectancy. Family would say don't you wish you could ride here and my response was, "You must want me dead." Upon returning home I was determined to go for a ride.

This year, like the rest of the west coast, it has been a mild winter in the great Northwest. The trend is continuing in January. Following this trend last weekend's weather cooperated and Escapefjrtist and I got out for a ride on Saturday. Saturday it was chilly with some light sprinkles north of Seattle, just enough to keep the roads wet. It was a good day, but I didn’t stop to take photos and a ride report without photos is boring.

Sunday dawned mostly sunny and despite a head cold and a family gathering at 3:30 I decided at the last minute to go to Dewatto Bay along the east side of Hood Canal. I simply could not pass up a winter ride on a sunny day.

My last ride report post on the forum was along Hwy 101 on the west side of Hood Canal. This time we will be east of Hood Canal, primarily along county roads, meaning slippery, shaded, interesting pavement and in lightly populated areas. A nice ride anytime of the year.

Here is the route.

As before the ride begins by crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge the site of Galloping Gertie the failed bridge all first year Engineering students study. It went splash in 1940. Recently the state completed a second bridge. With a new bridge is a toll in the eastbound direction. I don’t mind the toll as it is much safer having a new bridge. Mt. Rainier dominates the Tacoma sky line. Here is a photo of the Tacoma Narrows Bridges; the old bridge is to the left. Mt. Rainer was clearly visible on Sunday. This shot I pulled off the web so you can see the Narrows bridge and The Mountain.

narrows_6307_crop.jpg

As I meander along Hwy 16, a well patrolled 4 lane road, two lanes each way, I decide to complete the ride clockwise as I expect lighter traffic on westbound Hwy 302 in the morning. I take the Purdy exit and head for Wauna along Henderson Bay on Hwy 302, thinking I don’t have time for a photo of the bay, but I knew I could find a photo at home.

So here is a late afternoon photo of Henderson Bay I shot in October 2009.

IMG_4233.jpg

I pull off the road to get some fuel and notice a guy riding his cruiser with his lady friend in typical cruiser apparel. They were drinking coffee, their hands tightly wrapped around the cups. Temps were in the low 40’s, a bonus this time of the year. I was happy to have my Gerbings. Maybe next year Santa will get me a pair of heated socks for Christmas instead of a trip to Llano, Texas.

On to Victor and Belfair to pickup the Belfair Tahuya Road, watching the clock as my time is tight. If I miss my family commitment the wife will be upset and when she not happy nobody is happy. Fortunately I am making good time and having a blast.

Down the road I head toward Dewatto Bay.

IMG_8306.JPG

And another shot down the road a bit farther.

IMG_8308.JPG

At the entrance to the bay is house. Nice summer place. I take this photo and

IMG_8451.JPG

a stitched photo of the bay, house and mountains.

StitchImage.jpg

I move on for a better shot of the Olympic Mountains.

IMG_8456.JPG

Here is my 09 FJR.

IMG_8466.JPG

This old structure is at the end of the bay. The local kids use it to practice graffiti and as a party hangout. In the distance from the road it looks interesting as you can’t see the graffiti. This was a clean bike two days prior.

IMG_8459.JPG

The clock is ticking so onward I ride but soon stop again to take these photos of this mossy, damp, magical place. In the spring when the leaves are on the trees it is quite different and just as interesting. No matter the season each time I drive through I swear Leprechauns live here.

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG

One my way home now I find Bear Creek Road and head to Gorst returning to Hwy 16, over the Narrows I see Mt. Rainier again and soon after arrive at home in time to keep my appointment. Today everybody was happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being a graduate of Washington State History--I know that Dewatto means "home of evil spirits who make men crazy" in native tongue and have fished in that bay as a youngster in a 12 foot aluminum boat launched from the Hoodsport side. When I reeled in a wolf eel near that bay (not knowing what a wolf eel was)--I was spooked by the whole legend thing. Also, I always wandered about the roads on that side of the canal and you helped answer a 30 year old mystery to me with some of your pictures. Thanks for the report! :)

Good pictures. Looks like a good trip. There are certain roads that have their own sense of forboding to them. One of them was the road from Jackson Hole to Idaho Falls at night. All I could think of was Lord of the Rings and Mordor. I just had t his feeling that I wouldn't get out of the forest alive.

Nice RR and pics Fontanaman, thanks for sharing the adventure!

The mountains were out everywhere on Sunday. This is a good one...great pic! :)

IMG_8456.JPG

--G