Because WE can

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
California has not had a winter this year, but the bitch (La Nina) is expected to return next week with a vengeance. Meanwhile we have epic riding opportunities, and of course, we gotta get it while we can. So for those of you living vicariously through the trip reports of the fortunate few on the forum that can still ride to over 9000 feet elevation in the Sierra and 'git sum', This is what we did today.

Being tough guys, we met in Folsom, CA at 9:00 AM on a frosty morning (January 14, what do you expect?). I was riding in expecting to be cold but, but going to the meeting point, never turned on the heated gear. Caught Bugnatr on Hwy 50 and rode into the meetup point. We had more FJRs than I thought we would. Madmike2, Puppychow, Bugnatr, Borkerfork, Bluestreek and Sacramento Mike rallied for the call. O.M. was nowhere in sight, so we decided to dedicate our twisties on Irish Hill Road to him, and great twisties, they were. Unfortunately, I was not doing much photography today, but I'm sure someone else can contribute.

The meetup

The intended Route:

EbbettsPass.jpg

Well, suffice to say, we did not suffer from target fixation today. The route got cut short a bit after some delays, but more on that in a minute. The participants: Madmike2, Bluestreek, Borkerfork, Puppycow, Bugnatr, SacramentoMike, and your photographer strategically behind the lens.

EbbettsPass034.jpg

EbbettsPass035.jpg

You might think with this steller weather there would be high fives and cheering, but at the first stop, It seemed some riders were still looking for morning coffee.

EbbettsPass038.jpg

A short while later, Sam provided the entertainment we were waiting for...a flat tire.

EbbettsPass041.jpg

Hey, WTF, it's still a nice day.

EbbettsPass043.jpg

EbbettsPass044.jpg

Let's see, first we'll slather on the glue, then we'll thread the sticky string into the needle. :lol:

EbbettsPass047.jpg

Punch that sucker into the tire, start the compressor, and 40 minuts later, we have a roadworthy tire!

EbbettsPass050.jpg

Sam's revenge

EbbettsPass052.jpg

Yes, that is the Tanji tank dumping fuel on the ground. Somehow, the main tank pressurized and blew fuel back out through the aux fuel tank vent. Mike went by me like his hair was on fire, and he pulled over here near Arnold. Yeah, that's gasoline on the ground, and Mr. I have nearly 12 gallons onboard, was nearly out of gas.

EbbettsPass051.jpg

Bugnatr says, "Oh crap! I'm going to be late for dinner"

EbbettsPass053.jpg

Regardless of the delay of game, we got to the summit of Ebbetts Pass for the pick-up game of hockey we came for.

EbbettsPass055.jpg

I wish I had done more photos, and hopefully some one did. The descent from the Pass was a shit-storm of sand and black ice on the road. I set a very slow pace and everyone came through safely. We cut off the plan to go over Monitor Pass and return via Kingsbury Grade and US50, and instead ate lunch in Markleeville came back over 8400 foot Carson Pass and a bunch of fun foothill roads that I'm willing to bet most of the guys following me could not find again. But a couple more pics, and I'll hope my more worthy ride companions can pick up the slack.

By Mosquito Lake

EbbettsPass057.jpg

EbbettsPass059.jpg

SacramentoMike

EbbettsPass061.jpg

A snowless Sierra

EbbettsPass062.jpg

Hey, you want me to admit how slow I ride? :assassin:

I was including the time it took to get your fingers unstuck. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the Tanji tank dumping fuel on the ground. Somehow, the main tank pressurized and blew fuel back out through the aux fuel tank vent. Mike went by me like his hair was on fire, and he pulled over here near Arnold. Yeah, that's gasoline on the ground, and Mr. I have nearly 12 gallons onboard, was nearly out of gas.

EbbettsPass051.jpg
First off nice ride report. TFS. I like the roadside pond hockey picture the best.

I have some questions about the bike in the picture above. Please enlighten me.

- Was this just a dayride?

- What is mounted under the Givi trunk? (The long flat piece over the passenger seat)

- Where is his aux tank? Why does he have an aux tank? Why would you want to weigh your bike down with more fuel when everyone else that is riding doesn't have an aux tank & are just going to refill at gas stations? What's the advantage?

- How can you ride comfortably with that enormous tank bag between you and the handlebars?

Seems like an awful large amount of gear for a dayride.

I'm sure Mike will be along to enlighten you and answer your questions. I would but he types like a secretary on crack and I am typing with one hand with a cat in my lap. :D

Nice RR, Were expecting snow for the next week :eek:
Same here, that's why we rode yesterday.

I am typing with one hand with a cat in my lap. :D
Ray, it's always tough to type with a pussy on your lap. :lol:

I'll let MM inform you on his Tanji fuel cell, but I can say I watched well over a quart of gas flow over the warm left muffler. We were stopped at a fire station so all bases were covered. :eek:

Looks like a nice ride y'all. Gotta get it while it's good and before the snow flies! :)

That was real nice of MM2 trying to start a little fire and keep everyone warm. ;)

--G

Didn't take many pictures, as is usually the case when I am running with a pack. Here are the few I did take, with even fewer words..

Stopped at the Pardee Dam overlook.

381303_2500322228621_1269886925_31994593_1340018038_n.jpg

The magnificent 7even at the Pardee Dam overlook.

404254_2500321988615_1269886925_31994592_61682922_n.jpg

The defunct Rancho Seco nuclear power plant as seen from the Pardee Dam overlook.

396193_2500321508603_1269886925_31994591_1425088749_n.jpg

Fast forward to the decision point at the intersection of Hwy 4 and Hwy 89. Dougie Bear says "I am hungry!!"

383113_2500273707408_1269886925_31994579_1797323278_n.jpg

Tom doing the rain dance for next week!

398035_2500274027416_1269886925_31994581_1041031723_n.jpg

Mad Mike documenting Tom's tribal dance moves!

390619_2500273907413_1269886925_31994580_1294924420_n.jpg

Fast forward to riding back to Sacramento in the twilight with Mad Mike. Rabid herds of Forest Rats spotted along the way!
mad.gif

385824_2500274347424_1269886925_31994582_1997448031_n.jpg

397778_2500274507428_1269886925_31994583_1144548144_n.jpg

Looked like a scene from a sci-fi alien invasion movie!!

381467_2500274747434_1269886925_31994584_893155912_n.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Home safe. The tire plug held and is holding good pressure.

401325_2500273467402_1269886925_31994578_716690494_n.jpg

EbbettsPass051.jpg
I have some questions about the bike in the picture above. Please enlighten me.

- Was this just a dayride?

- What is mounted under the Givi trunk? (The long flat piece over the passenger seat)

- Where is his aux tank? Why does he have an aux tank? Why would you want to weigh your bike down with more fuel when everyone else that is riding doesn't have an aux tank & are just going to refill at gas stations? What's the advantage?

- How can you ride comfortably with that enormous tank bag between you and the handlebars?

Seems like an awful large amount of gear for a dayride.
Answers in order:

1.) Yes, a day ride.

2.a.) Under the Givi trunk is the Tanji 4-gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2.b.) I have an auxiliary tank because I want one.

2.c.) I don't consider it "weighing the bike down" because it resides there 24-7, 365 days a year. I have no need to remove it.

2.d.) The advantage is that "most of the time" it works flawlessly, I only have to fuel up every 2 weeks (I commute on the bike) and when traveling I stop when I want to, not because I have to. Unless I'm traveling with others.

3.) The "enormous tank" is the OEM that came with the bike when I bought it brand new. What you see in the photo is my tank bag (With 2-way radio, drinking tube, etc.) slid back because I've opened the gas filler cap to allow fuel to transfer from the aux. tank to the main tank. Notice the seat on the ground because I've been checking connections and vents?

For whatever reason, the tank was "pressurized and when I opened the valve between the two tanks the pressure blew the gasoline back into the auxiliary tank which vented it onto the road. I'd opened the valve in Angels Camp, about 20 miles before I noticed the flashing fuel light. Good bye 4+ gallons of "dino-juice".

I let some gas transfer into the main tank then rode uphill about 2 miles to a Chevron station where I filled the tank: 5.86 gallons.

The bike had no problems the rest of the day and when I got home I opened the fuel cap...no pressure. It gets curiouser and curiouser!

This is the second time in 5 or 6 years that I've had this problem. The last time was in Salt Lake City on my way to NAFO in Golden. I spent the night at Cdogman's place and we used his compressor and nozzle to blow "grunge" out of the tank vent.

This time...the tank worked perfectly after this incident.

Alas....one of the adventures of today's ride. At least I had hecklers.... jokesters...... helpful advice.... friends and a captive audience! :rolleyes:

What a great ride!

I needed some "therapy" after my recent bout with the flu (or whatever the heck has attacked me and won't go away)! It was a terrific day to be out-an-about with some old friends and competent riders.

AND, everyone paid heed to Tyler's admonition: "Be safe"!

Some photos to "fill in" the reports posted by Tom and Sam:

Leaving beautiful downtown Elk Grove @ 0745....and 34 degrees.

002.jpg

Starbucks @ 0845

005.jpg

Something is going on at Prairie City OHV Park. I saw many pickups with motorcycles and ATVs headed that way.

008.jpg

Tom led us onto Scott Rd. and through this section of "whoops".

This actually went on for a few miles just over the hill ahead. Waaaay fun!

012.jpg

Waiting at the Pardee Dam traffic control signal. One Way Only!

027.jpg

There's a reason for the control signal.....

029.jpg

Tom: "Pray for it, Sam, lay hands on it!"

Sam: "It's not working!"

Tom: "You don't have enough faith!"

Sam: "Faith, schmaith....I brought my plug kit and compressor."

031.jpg

The Bear Valley Ski Resort is hurtin' for business.

The skiers are disappointed.

Let's hope the coming storms can alleviate these problems and the water supply problems for the Central Valley.

041.jpg

Alpine Lake

Normally this view is blocked by 5'-10' snow drifts.....

045.jpg

Mosquito Lake

058.jpg

Going up to Ebbett's Pass....

047.jpg

Still climbing.....

049.jpg

Wheeeeeee.....

060.jpg

Switchbacks....

061.jpg

And sand on the road...

062.jpg

Ice fishing on Silver Lake (Hwy 88, below Carson Pass).

Did we mention it was cold?

079.jpg

There are a few more photos at these locations:

Photo Bucket Album

Facebook

2.a.) Under the Givi trunk is the Tanji 4-gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

2.c.) I don't consider it "weighing the bike down" because it resides there 24-7, 365 days a year. I have no need to remove it.

2.d.) The advantage is that "most of the time" it works flawlessly, I only have to fuel up every 2 weeks (I commute on the bike) and when traveling I stop when I want to, not because I have to. Unless I'm traveling with others.
Huh. I've never seen one of those Tanji aux tanks before. You've definitely got your bike setup for long distance and since it's your commuter bike I can see why you'd like that. Thanks for the answers.

Looks like Ya'll had a great time....I hate sand on roads....especially in the corners. Yikes!

At prairie city ohv park its the PoLka dots m/c yearly race, gncc about 800 riders it is a two day event from beginners to AA pros all classes. I have raced it several times and worked it also when I was a member of the club.. it is alot of fun

The sand was really loose and gritty. The FJR can kick up quite a rooster-tail, so the group spaced out well. We were very tender in our handling some of those curves and switchbacks. Ebbetts pass has extremely tight radius turns, and steep grades approaching 20% in places, combined with being narrow with no centerline. Under good conditions, the pass is not a place to take inexperienced riders. This riding group all have many thousands of miles under their belt on the FJR and have the patience to use a safe pace when it is needed.

I really appreciated the radio contact with Madmike riding sweep on this trip. With the flat tire, and fuel tank incident it was nice not to end up looking in the rear view mirror and wondering where everyone went. :unsure:

The sand...no problem, at least we knew it was there and could slow down and shift our weight on the bikes. :eek:

On the other hand....the black ice..... :dribble:
The sand was really loose and gritty. The FJR can kick up quite a rooster-tail, so the group spaced out well. We were very tender in our handling some of those curves and switchbacks. Ebbetts pass has extremely tight radius turns, and steep grades approaching 20% in places, combined with being narrow with no centerline. Under good conditions, the pass is not a place to take inexperienced riders. This riding group all have many thousands of miles under their belt on the FJR and have the patience to use a safe pace when it is needed.

I really appreciated the radio contact with Madmike riding sweep on this trip. With the flat tire, and fuel tank incident it was nice not to end up looking in the rear view mirror and wondering where everyone went. :unsure:
In the N. GA mtns. they put down more of a "gravel" for ice/snow. It SUCKS and is very dangerous. I've had more than a few pucker tightening moments when the road appears to be clear then all the sudden after you've already committed to a line in the curve there's a patch of loose gravel to avoid somehow. Nothing worse than feeling your tires loose traction on the road in a curve...even for a split second. Sheesh.

I'm glad you guys didn't have any mishaps...besides the few ominous minor signs earlier.

Was this a Friday the 13th ride? :eek:

Latest posts