Isle of Man TT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started here IOM and found multiple websites to source rental bikes, lodging, ferry trips etc... PM me if you want the links, keeping in mind, I have not traveled there yet, but consulted with a friend who is from across the pond and had attended the TT, lived in Scotland etc. so he had some good tips. Good luck, it's a dream trip of mine that hasn't quite come to fruition.

Thanks for the reply. This is one trip on my bucket list that will take a few years to plan.

A few years back I seem to recall reading a book or magazine article about a Canadian gent that sold everything and did the TT. DOes this ring a bell? I would like to find that story.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=137648&st=0&p=856235entry856235 Scott and CAJW, send a private message to "orestes" here on our FJR Forum. Orestes is our resident Isle of Man TT expert, he goes every year. He is David Clarke of Chatham, Kent, England; a super guy and he will give you the lay of the land! He comes to USA regularly, I rode the Pyrennees with him.

David took this classic photograph of the Isle of Man TT statue of "Yer Maun" Joey Dunlop; A Proud Irishman. Joey was the Greatest Winner of all times at "the Isle"!

05JoeyTheBungalow.jpg

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=51c_1280826305&p=1

https://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=29433

Guys, here is the text of a letter that "Orestes" sent me regarding the Isle of Man TT. https://www.iomttbreaks.com/ Dave highly recommends Regency Travel, you can sign up for their Newsletter. One of the very nicest things about Regency Travel is that they are based right there in the Capital of Douglas on the Isle of Man itself.

main_advert_02.jpg

"Hi Don

As you know I have recently been on the Isle of Man for the TT1000. While I was there I called in to Regency Travel and asked about the 2012 TT. As I guessed 2012 is pretty much fully booked although they did advice that they often get cancellations in January when the final prices get sent out. They are already beginning to get enquiries about 2013.

Hotels prices are not set yet but you can expect to pay a healthy premium (maybe as much as 100% at the more popular ones) above those advertised on hotel websites. Most of those attending the TT1000 stayed at the Inglewood Hotel. They do not start taking bookings until after the conclusion of the previous years event but everybody seemed very happy there and there was a good pub only a few yards away.

There are no motorcycle rentals available on the Island but Celtic Rider in Dublin come highly recommended, they provided 3 or 4 bikes for our North American competitors.

After last week the bike is in need of a service and then in a few weeks time I'm off on my summer tour. I'm afraid I got carried away over the christmas holiday and booked my self a place on one of Ron Ayres adventures, so it's off to Norway and beyond on Independence Day. Hopefully I will be able to restore the savings for next years trip to NAFO.

Hope all is well in sunny Phoenix.

Best wishes

Dave"

I PM'd Scott with the name of the guy (I think) he asked about. (Mark Gardiner)

I then found Mark's professional website . It's a very cool site :D

Edit: look at his Résumé - at least the 3 paragraphs following the photo of Mark with a surfboard. The GUY is cool, toooo!

I started here IOM and found multiple websites to source rental bikes, lodging, ferry trips etc... PM me if you want the links, keeping in mind, I have not traveled there yet, but consulted with a friend who is from across the pond and had attended the TT, lived in Scotland etc. so he had some good tips. Good luck, it's a dream trip of mine that hasn't quite come to fruition.
CAJW, when were you thinking about attending the IOM TT? My 2012 Ride Calendar is filled with Alaska/NAFO, Colorado and the Alps/Dolomites; in 2013 I'll be riding into Mexico: LOTS OF TRIPS SOUTH! If you could consider 2014, I'd be your Huckleberry!

I would ride a circumnavigation of Ireland, either before or after the IOM TT. Plan on renting a BMW R1200GS from Celtic Riders in Dublin. Do not plan on taking the bike to Isle of Man though, Orestes says it is such a Zoo during race week you can barely ride!

I have an important chore I must perform in Dublin! When the O'Keeffe Clan left Eire, Old Michael's "Da" (his dad) failed to pay off his bar tab at Doolan's Pub in Hogan Square just South of the River Liffey. I have to drop off 85 Euros to clear the O'Keeffe name!

I then found Mark's professional website . It's a very cool site :D
Very Cool website...I love it! :lol:

Dagnabbit, every time I log into FJRForum my danged bucket list gets longer and longer...

...at this rate I'll never get it all done. Atleast I will die trying...

New Zealand

Eire, Isle of Man and northern Europe

southern Europe with TRex

Malaysia with Nik

Tierra Del Fuego with beemerdons

Own all of BC with my motorcycle

Explore Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and California

Explore every nook and cranny of the eastern Appalacians

Learn how to ride a motorcycle...oh well, some things may never get accomplished.

You guys have a great time on your Isle of Man trip. Looks like fun...

Hola Marky-Mark, I will copy you with the Private Messages that have been going on recently between Old Michael and Papa Chuy regarding "Riding South"; you are warmly invited to join up with us. We know that you do not have the necessary "Shillelagh" that would qualify you as a real Irishman, but we can grant you a Temporary Visa!

Hola Marky-Mark, I will copy you with the Private Messages that have been going on recently between Old Michael and Papa Chuy regarding "Riding South"; you are warmly invited to join up with us. We know that you do not have the necessary "Shillelagh" that would qualify you as a real Irishman, but we can grant you a Temporary Visa!
Now that you have assailed my honor there Don...I'm gonna have to cross that one off my list. I'll ride down to the tip of south america by myself dammit. :)

If you want one stop shopping for a IOM TT Tour I have been looking at the Motoquest tour that starts with a ride through Wales and includes the return ferry ride to IOM for practice week. The only thing you need to bring is riding gear, a passport and money for some of the meals and fuel. I have used Motoquest in the past when I rode in Alaska and can recommend their company.

Phil, the owner of the company told me that you get the flavour of the TT without having to struggle through the massive crowds during the final week when it all turns into a zoo.

The IOM TT is an itch I badly need to scratch and I will get there very soon but not this year. My 2012 ride calendar is already overflowing.

Here is the link on the tour.

IOM TT

If you want one stop shopping for a IOM TT Tour I have been looking at the Motoquest tour that starts with a ride through Wales and includes the return ferry ride to IOM for practice week. The only thing...

IOM TT
$6,000! Do you have any idea of how many aluminum cans I'll have to collect to earn $6K! Does not even include airfare, plus you have to ride through that piss ant nation of England! NO THANKS!

If you want one stop shopping for a IOM TT Tour I have been looking at the Motoquest tour that starts with a ride through Wales and includes the return ferry ride to IOM for practice week. The only thing...

IOM TT
$6,000! Do you have any idea of how many aluminum cans I'll have to collect to earn $6K! Does not even include airfare, plus you have to ride through that piss ant nation of England! NO THANKS!
You empty that many aluminum cans on a weekend. I didn't say it would be cheap and it would be interesting to see what the other options price out to. I'm all for saving some coin but but not to the point where I have to sleep in the ditch like some drunken Irishman.

I have never done all the other calculations on the other options and I was hoping someone else would do it since I'm such a lazy lout.

IOM TT
You empty that many aluminum cans on a weekend. I didn't say it would be cheap and it would be interesting to see what the other options price out to. I'm all for saving some coin but but not to the point where I have to sleep in the ditch like some drunken Irishman.

I have never done all the other calculations on the other options and I was hoping someone else would do it since I'm such a lazy lout.
I will see Mr. and Mrs. CAJW on April 14 at puppychow's Big Sur Luncheon Ride, I will find out their interest in the Isle of Man. I did not see Scott signed up for NAFO 2012, I thought it was a Canuckistani requirement that you Hosers had to attend all CFR's.

I just sent an e-mail to David "Orestes" Clarke in Blighty, asking him to throw out any pricing information he may have. I've heard many recommendations about attending IOM practice week only, that the actual TT is a completely out of control looney bin!

We Irish aren't cheap, we're frugal! Farting on a rock to save the grease is an accepted custom in Killarney! Once you get used to the taste of Purina Kibble and Bits dog food, it is quite good. In regards to drunken Irishmen, point is indeed very well taken!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=143523&pid=935318&st=0entry935318 Hello David, Once again we Norte Americanos are jabbering away about our attending the Isle of Man as a group. Do you have any pricing thoughts that you can share with us? I know that no one has a crystal ball to see what airfares will be in the years ahead, so leave out any flight pricing. If you were a Hoser from Toronto and wanted to attend the IOM TT: What would be your recommended plan of action for this?

Also, would you recommend attending Practice Week instead of the Big TT Show? Would you recommend our group flying into London using Raceways for bike rentals?

Since I'm of the Fenian Persuasion, I would like to include a tour of Eire myself. How much extra do you think flying into Dublin then ferrying to Isle of Man would run me?

Thank You and Sincerely Yours,

Don Stanley

1061 N. Amber St.

Chandler, AZ 85225

Cell: 480-440-4666

When I sent my letter to Orestes I also copied my Fine Paddy Friend Seamus MacTreinfhir. Seamus is a Veteran of many IOM TT's, he was born and raised in Dublin, Eire. He is a long time member of AZ Beemers and currenty resides in Idaho riding his BMW GS. Seamus will provide more info as needed!

"Don, are you talking this year or next..?

Will you camp on site or hotel / b & b it...? Camping is obviously far cheaper and more readily available as rooms fill up fast, sometimes a few years in advance.

IMHO the big TT event is the better way to go and there is a ferry from Dublin that goes direct to the IOM and its about 4+ hours, but theres a great party on the boat over.

Cheers'

Seamus"

I will see Mr. and Mrs. CAJW on April 14 at puppychow's Big Sur Luncheon Ride, I will find out their interest in the Isle of Man. I did not see Scott signed up for NAFO 2012, I thought it was a Canuckistani requirement that you Hosers had to attend all CFR's.
Don, That doesn't give me much time to finagle the numbers in the check book to make it appear to the Mrs. that we even remotely might have the $ to make such a trip in a year or so, but I'll start working on it right away. Sounds like too much damn fun not to give it a go. See ya at Big Sur!, Sir.

Don, That doesn't give me much time to finagle the numbers in the check book to make it appear to the Mrs. that we even remotely might have the $ to make such a trip in a year or so, but I'll start working on it right away. Sounds like too much damn fun not to give it a go. See ya at Big Sur!, Sir.
We Stanley Boys are booked up with our rides for all of 2012 and 2013, so the earliest we could go is 2014. But, this is so popular we need to advance book everything!

Latest posts