BC Roads worth trying

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixote

Reaction score
Just thought I might start a thread on roads that I know are worth your while depending on the direction you are heading there are alot of good roads here in BC that I've ridden and will ride again and again as soon as the white stuff goes away.

The Fraser Canyon, Boston Bar to Cache Creek, really nice, lots of passing lanes and not so much traffic now that the coquahalla is free. Stay off the coquihalla if you don't like really fast slabs. It does the purpose and is really fast but not as challenging as the Canyon. Fraser Canyon is hot, dry and right by the river, if you can get out front it's an awsome ride when you can break free. I rode Hells Canyon last year and it's a little like that without all the fifth wheels and real passing lanes, why can't some people understand what pull out lanes are?

Duffy lake road, Lilloette to Whistler, it's rough comign out of Lilloette but turns nice and is really twisty, the Harley boys are worn out throwing thier tractors around by the time they hit Pemperton. Then it's the sea to sky from whistler to Vancouver. They redid the whole thing for the Olympics and it's an awsome ride if you can avoid the RCMP. The speed limit is something like 90 kph, or 55mph, no one can actually do that. Remember 40 klp over in BC and they will take your bike away, leave you on the side of the road with you bags. I've heard it done on the Sea to Sky. I wish they would just give us the road for a day of real riding, Real nice long fast double lane sweepers, it can be some seriouse fun.

From Castlegar up to Nakusp, then over the Needles Ferry to Vernon, nice road, rough sometimes but never any traffic to think about, and then Vernon to Kamloops.

Merrit to Princton, nice road, no traffic.

Princton to Summerland, another good road I'm told, I'm going to try it this year.

Merrit to Spences Bridge, another nice road with limited traffic and nice twistys.

Hope princton, Aspen Grove, always a cool ride unless you get alot of traffic, but if you go from Castlegar, Grand Forks, Osoyoose all the way to Hope it's a cool ride. Osoyoose is hot, Christina lake is the hottest tree lined lake in North America just outside Grand Forks.

If you have any questions I've been riding around here awhile and can give my opinion, not that it's worth much, so I won't charge much, just steal a beer like a good Canadian.

Great idea, Quixote!

There are a lot of nice little two-laners in the Okanagan-Similkameen. This time of year they mostly have a bit too much sand/gravel/salt, (and sometimes ice!), for a real relaxed ride, but a month or so from now and you're good to go.

I'll post up some google map directions for a few of my favourites a bit later on.

As for the more 'mainstream' routes:

The Merrit/Princeton run is nice, but the road surface is nasty in places.

In season I regularly make the Keremeos - Ososyoos run. There are some decent passing lanes, and more than a few stretches where you can see ahead for a loooong way, so can spot any potential, ahem, 'obstacles'! ;)

The Princeton - Keremeos - Penticton - Summerland route can be fun, with a particularly cool 's-curve' sweeper and some nice twistys on highway 3a. But watch your speed especially on highway 97. It's posted 80Kph, and there are plenty of spots for the Queen's Cowboys to lurk.

Right now, the Hope-Princeton highway is in pretty sad shape, with far too many potholes and nasty bits. I expect there'll be lots of roadwork along there this summer.

Thanks for the run down!

Had the good fortune to travel a few of those listed but I can see there are a few more that need exploring. :)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
A possible day ride from Castlegar,

https://maps.google.c...s&via=2&t=m&z=9

Castlegar up to Nakusp, over the Needles ferry down to Grand Forks and back to Castlegar
Nice!

That section from Grand Forks to Castlegar is really beautiful! Add in the run from Osoyoos to Grand Forks for some serious twistiness just east of Osoyoos and you have one awesome ride! :yahoo:

A good choice to ride to the coast if anyone is going that way, all nice roads with very little traffic as long as you don't get trapped behind a German tourist in a rented RV

https://maps.google.c...&mra=ls&t=m&z=8
A minor variation would take you North to Revelstoke, then West to Salmon Arm, then Kamloops.

Some nice scenery and decent roads no matter which you choose.

Damn, we do have some great rides here in BC! :)

The road between Kaslo and New Denver, just north of Castlegar is a must-ride, especially this year since the a near washout has been fixed. Last year between two trips I traversed that road 4 times!

Highway 31 from the Balfour Ferry on Kootenay Lake north to Kaslo and then north to Marblehead is also brilliant, with very little traffic north of Kaslo (the pavement ends at or near Marblehead and its gravel further north to the Galena Bay Ferry).

Some ST1300 riders, Guy Metcalfe and I found a road between Passmore and Crescent Valley called the Lower Passcreek Road on the west side of the Slocan river. It's not a fast road but there are plenty of challenging curves. I'll dig out the GPX file later.

Nearly any road north of Castlegar is going to be a Destination Highways road, so you really can't go wrong. The only problem will be slowpokes and motor homes - and over-empowered LEOs. Although in three solid days of hard riding out of Nelson last summer, none of the 200+ ST1300 riders got dinged by the law, your mileage may vary though.

Happy trails!

Ian

This is the great thing about the Kootenay's you can't really go wrong in any direction. I envy the ones that can be 5 min out of town and be on a deserted piece of blacktop. I've gotta suffer and hour of highway hell to find a little open space. Thanks Ian, just trying to figure out a few good day ride loops, maybe something like this https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=New+Denver,+BC&daddr=Kaslo,+BC+to:49.33267,-117.66437+to:Castlegar,+BC+to:New+Denver,+BC&hl=en&ll=49.59736,-117.395782&spn=0.702288,2.113495&sll=49.413654,-117.371063&sspn=0.352466,1.056747&geocode=FXrO-gIdWQsB-Sn13Rk5BIJ8UzHuNZO6SjXf8Q%3BFcOI-QId6hYI-SkBgPiH4Wh7UzE6NXfsFh9T0g%3BFb7B8AIdjpX8-Cktd_TybtN8UzHxtSVSkJ6x3w%3BFd2e8AIdOqn8-ClLzZJpqtR8UzHiUAMpwGLXEw%3BFXrO-gIdWQsB-Sn13Rk5BIJ8UzHuNZO6SjXf8Q&oq=new+denver&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=2&t=m&z=10

For a good dose of twisties go to Balfour, across the ferry and head down to Creston and back across the Creston-Salmo highway. Nice ride! The ferry guys are usually pretty good about getting the bikes off of the ferry at Kooteny Bay first to get them ahead of all the slow traffic.

Only addition that comes to mind is Hwy. 5A Kamloops to Merritt (avoiding Hwy 1) then Hwy. 8 Merritt to Spences Bridge (as mentioned) - watch this road as several tight corners are off-camber and you are often confronted by VW size 'rocks from heaven' in the westbound lane.

Love all that stuff over the years. RCMP works diligently at times. Radar detector and diligence at all times if you play. Instant on used quite a bit and mounties hid in oncoming traffic. If you get a brief glimmer someone is working a hold button most likely in the area. 40klm=24mph over,thats pushing a bit especially in urban areas.

Love all that stuff over the years. RCMP works diligently at times. Radar detector and diligence at all times if you play. Instant on used quite a bit and mounties hid in oncoming traffic. If you get a brief glimmer someone is working a hold button most likely in the area. 40klm=24mph over,thats pushing a bit especially in urban areas.
Good info.

Luckily the RCMP is understaffed at the moment - I followed a cruiser today with a 'We're Hiring' decal in the rear window!

Not sure how accurate this is, but it may help: https://transcanadahighway.com/bc/Speedtraps.htm

Are radar detectors legal in BC? I do not exceed the posted limits, very often, and the conversion to meteric although is on the speedo, can be overlooked as one gets involved in the turns and traffic. I may invest in a detector just to cover my ass..

FWFE

My wife says just do the speed limit dumbass, then you will not have to worry about it.

She has a point,

Damn,

Are radar detectors legal in BC? I do not exceed the posted limits, very often, and the conversion to meteric although is on the speedo, can be overlooked as one gets involved in the turns and traffic. I may invest in a detector just to cover my ass..

FWFE

My wife says just do the speed limit dumbass, then you will not have to worry about it.

She has a point,

Damn,
Do the posted speed limit on major highways and you will be run over. Lots of rabbits up north. Yes, detectors are legal but I would not flaunt it. Nor would I leave it on the bike unattended, things tend to vanish up there.

yeah, my wife says stuff that makes sense too, but I don't really pay a lot of attention. Radar detectors are legal here, but they use alot of laser when they are serious about setting up a trap. Be real carefull in the big parks, Jasper and Banff especially, the speed limit is really low, like 70 or 80 kph, 50 mph, and they are real serious, alot of forest rats and tourists stopping to take thier pictures. I'm not sure which is more dangerous. You come arouind a corner and some motorhome has stopped in the middle of the road to take a pic of a sheep,,,

Latest posts