NWS - Only In Twisp Washington?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
Twisp Washington is at the east side of the North Cascades Hwy about 8 miles east of Winthrop. Winthrop is known for being a Western themed tourist town and major tourist attraction year around. Anymore other than the ice cream shop I try to avoid it. I should be avoiding the ice cream too but that is for another story.

Twisp is where many of locals live and do their commerce and business.

Today dzane report's on the North Cascade Hwy re-opening around May 1st included this little sentence, "A huge D-8 caterpillar we contract for, arrived from Lloyd Logging Co. in Twisp on Tuesday."

Hurray! :yahoo:

The mention of Lloyd's Logging also caused a huge flash black from Sunday September 19, 2000. It was on this day I took a picture of the Lloyd's Logging road side sign all fixed up by the local kids the night before. Apparently the letter bucket and letter hanger were left loose around the sign. The kids at least could spell and are very creative! We should celebrate for in the year 2000 the school system was working.

Here is what I saw on that fateful day! This picture from Sept 2000 is not photo shopped. It is the real thing. This sign is right on the main highway in plain view for all!

Scroll down please and making a drum roll noise in your head.

Offensive%2520Sign.jpg

At first I road by the sign. About 3/4 of a mile down the road I turned around to take a photo. As I was enjoying the moment with my camera when a couple in a mini-van drove by. The lady sitting in the passenger seat had a wide eyed look of utter disbeleif and could not help but looking at the sign.

I wasn't sure what I would do with the photo at the time. As I continue my ride inspiration struck me to send the photo to the State Hwy Department expressing my extreme concern for such an tasteless display filled with contempt for the fairer sex. So I did - of course I am just dying with laughter inside.

A few days later I got a email back from the WSDOT with an explanation. My photo made it's way thought State Government inter-department emails with varying degrees interest, some amused and other in horror, finally landing on a supervisor's desk. The supervisor explained there is no law against this but called Lloyd's Logging. The owner's of Lloyd's Logging are very religious were completely mortified when they found out the local kids had a field day with their sign.

Today the sign is gone, replaced by something else. Today I learned Lloyd's Logging is still in business and now I get to share this photo with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so they fixed the "sluts" sign.

But "Lloyd's Logging?"

That's totally inappropriate.

Great sign!

No pic but one night in Bishop, CA. the local kids had fun with the same kind of letter sign. They changed the hotel sign from "Free HBO" to "Free Fat Ho's" :lol:

On a ski trip in northern Minnesota we stopped at Subway next to a hotel (AmericInn or something) which had lost an 'L' from its sign. It read:

Free Continental Breakfast Poo

Last edited by a moderator:
Twisp Washington is at the east side of the North Cascades Hwy about 8 miles east of Winthrop. Winthrop is known for being a Western themed tourist town and major tourist attraction year around. Anymore other than the ice cream shop I try to avoid it. I should be avoiding the ice cream too but that is for another story.

Three of us stop there in Winthrop for the night back in 2010. Steve was very struck on one particular person. Still speaks of her to this day. Just ask him! :yahoo:

I worked at a movie theater for 9 years. We had those signs for the box office that you put the letters on for times, titles, etc. When a movie came out, for the first two weekends you couldn't use any special discount coupons or passes. We had premade small signs we'd hang under these films time signs saying "No Passes." One day I was out front checking out the signs and noticed that laying by the glass in front of one of the computer montitors was a letter P. I looked up and quickly found where it had come from.

I contemplated putting the P back, realized why our customers had been so nice lately and why the usual jerks had been missing. Meh, put it back anyway.

is that the scooter you were riding? A TW? Those are the coolest little trail bikes out there, I have a 93 that I got new. My son is trying to destroy it now and it just keeps going. :clapping:

The scooter was just parked there it was not mine. At the time I was riding a 1988 BMW RT 1000, the last in the series of boxer airheads.

"The kids at least could spell and are very creative! We should celebrate for in the year 2000 the school system was working."

Could spell?

No spelling bees champs out that night in Twisp!