Garmin Zumo 450/550 vs. Zumo 66X

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have actually hands on experience with both a 450/550 and a 660/665

• Total voters

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
In another thread, where I was describing some easy ways to work around the internal memory limitations of the (somewhat long in the tooth) Zumo 550 GPS, another forum member suggested to just "man up" and get a Zumo 660/665 rather than deal with the memory. As promised in my reply there, this is my totally subjective description of why I feel that, even with it's age and limitations, I still prefer the Zumo 550 for regular touring use on a motorcycle over the 66X series zumos. Feel free to weigh in on why you feel the same, or contrary to my position.

I do own and regularly use both a Zumo 550 and a Zumo 660 GPS on my motorcycles. Here's how I see that they compare to each other:

Things the two GPSes do equally well for me:

MSRP is exactly the same for Zumo 550 and 660

Weight difference is negligible (less than 1 oz)

Contrary to what others have said, I can detect no speed advantage for one or the other.

Both are IPX7 waterproof

Both will run a pre-programmed route about the same way.

Both will Bluetooth to my crackberry cell phone (or any other phones that I've tried) equally well

Both will play MP3 music, navigation prompts and cell phone audio through my wired Starcom1 intercom about the same

Both have removable/replaceable batteries, with lives that make it useless without actually wiring to the bike's power.

Both will run the Garmin 24K topographic maps for when if I venture offroad, although the 550 actually displays the contour lines better and the 66X will display contour shading.

Zumo 66X Advantages over Zumo 450/550

Current Garmin "state of the art" product. (will possibly be supported by Garmin for a longer time)

Wide screen format (of questionable value)

Larger internal memory (3.6GB vs 1.2GB)

A2DP bluetooth stereo capable

Will index more MP3 files at once

Programmable info area (can choose what displays in the map corners - elevation, speed, time or distance to turn, etc)

Will display the speed limit (if it knows it) and indicate if you are above it.

Does "junction view" (which I actually dislike. I'd rather just see the map all the time)

Zumo 450/550 advantages over Zumo 66X

Considerably brighter display screen

More map detail (even when zoomed in, the 66X is severely lacking)

Multifunction hard buttons (touchscreen only on 66X)

Screen navigation easier when underway (66X requires delving through multiple "levels", 550 is sequential/circular screen navigation)

USB port easy access (behind battery compartment door on 66X)

SD card easy access (also behind battery compartment door on 66X)

Compare of Zumo 550 vs 660 on Gamin's web site

Why I prefer my Zumo 550 over my Zumo 660

I do not see the value of the wider screen. The direction you are traveling is up/down on the screen and that is the same dimension. If I could change the display presentation to portrait then I would see that display as an advantage. I've actually sent a suggestion to Garmin to ask them to include that feature on some future software version. Especially for running topos/offroad, that would be a very nice thing to have.

The larger internal memory of the 66X can be pretty easily overcome (for me) by the use of SDHC cards on the 550 negating that advantage.

I do not use the A2DP bluetooth output (yet) as I do not have any A2DP capable headsets.

The 1000 MP3 limit of the 550 is not much of an issue, That equates to ~83 hours of continuous music (1000 x 5 minute MP3s), but you can always (easily) swap the SD cards and have a fresh 1000 titles to listen to.

The better map detail level of the 550 (when zoomed in) is a big advantage.

All of the above things are "software features" that could be changed by Garmin, if they so chose. And if they corrected some of these issues it might swing the balance over to the 660. But, the superior display screen brightness & contrast (does not wash out in sunlight as easily) and the multifunction hard buttons and navigation are features of the 550 that can never be migrated to the 660. At this point in time, I still prefer my 550 over my 660.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=26602&ra=true Freddie Bear, You and yamafitter will have to tell Papa Chuy Viejo just what Garmin is on my 2012 BMW K1600GT. I would not even own it if I did not have to pre-purchase it as part of the K1600 pre-sales ordering program from BMW Motorrad. But I have to admit to its advantages over maps!

Now, since I do own it I am trying to use it; for a complete Neanderthal Luddite such as myself it does seem easy to use. I'm hoping for more instruction from Billy Boy!

It appears to be a jazzed up, proprietary version of the Zumo 660.

Being integrated into the bike and allowing you to use the controls on the handlebars (rather than just the touch screen) is a big advantage over the stand-alone 66X available off the shelf..

https://buy.garmin.c...D=26602&ra=true Freddie Bear, You and yamafitter will have to tell Papa Chuy Viejo just what Garmin is on my 2012 BMW K1600GT. I would not even own it if I did not have to pre-purchase it as part of the K1600 pre-sales ordering program from BMW Motorrad. But I have to admit to its advantages over maps!

Now, since I do own it I am trying to use it; for a complete Neanderthal Luddite such as myself it does seem easy to use. I'm hoping for more instruction from Billy Boy!
What you got there is a Zumo 665 with a Blue Roundel decal stuck on it. The BMW decal adds another $1000.

I would be more than happy to provide lessons as soon as you send me a plane ticket for a return flight from the Great White North. I will borrow Bungie's Special Edition Etch-A-Sketch Zumo which you will find less confusing to learn on.

etch-a-sketch-blank%20copy.jpg

I did not participate in Fred's survey since I paid $0 for my Zumo 665 having won it in a photo contest and feel no need to defend that. I have used a Zumo 550 that came with the bike that I rented in Iceland and found it OK but I didn't use all the features of the unit.

Nothing still beats the screen of my old Garmin GPSMap 276c however but I found that the chipset is out of date and not as accurate. I have a new Montana 600 that I am going to mount on my dirt bike today and test out in the Ganaraska Forest tomorrow. The screen is nice & large and is a bright as my 276c. Initial impressions are quite good and I will probably post up some test shots over the weekend.

Bluetooth on the 660 is A2DP, compared with regular 1.0 for the 550 - so you can't 'do' stereo on the 550.

Bluetooth on the 550 is a better implementation, more forgiving of connected phones.

The wiring harness on the 660/665 is a ridiculous affair that is either too short, requiring that you make connections at inconvenient locations, or too long, requiring that you hide the extra cable - changing the 660/665 mount requires that you also pull out all that cable. The 550 has jacks on the mount - much more 'installation friendly'.

The 660 external mic input never worked with my Autocom - the 550 worked well. I travel simply with an in-ear headphone (UM-2 from Westone) ad no mic connected any more.

Absolutely concur (and it remains one of my biggest gripes about the 660/665) that screen detail when zoomed OUT is lacking for anyone who tours. We need (at least) 5 levels of screen detail, like the 550 provides.

The speaker in the 660/665 is muffled (for automotive applications). The one in the base for the 550 is fine . . . . the automotive base for the 660/665 has no audio out connection, negating the concept of 'quick disconnect' if you use a cabled audio interface to the output of the unit - the 550 has no internal speaker, but does have connections for audio out and in on the automotive AND bike bases.

There's more, but this is a start.

Fred

Another good thread, and timely as I may have to buy another 550 :angry2: . I'll tell ya about it later.

Or with my lack of computer skill maybe I'll just get that etcho-sketch.

I have the 660 and its worked well for me for almost 2yrs. I try not to split hairs or worry about this GPS over that GPS. As long as it gets me where I need to go is all that matters to me. All the little minor differences in GPS models is mostly irrelevant to me. I don't even use the mp3 or bluetooth options on it. I've yet to ride with earbuds or listen to music and I love my music...I just ride and let my mind have a break.

I have a new Montana 600 that I am going to mount on my dirt bike today and test out in the Ganaraska Forest tomorrow. The screen is nice & large and is a bright as my 276c. Initial impressions are quite good and I will probably post up some test shots over the weekend.
I know you've been hot for obne of these. I look forward to reading your full impressions of the Montana. There might be a place for one of those in my garage, but first I'd have to sell off one of the others. Guess which one it would be right now? :p

The 660 external mic input never worked with my Autocom - the 550 worked well. I travel simply with an in-ear headphone (UM-2 from Westone) ad no mic connected any more.

Not sure if you've heard about this, Bram, but the Zumo 66x has had the same (or a very similar) microphone issue with the Starcom1s too. The background noise level being picked up by the microphone made the thing completely unusable unless you were using a BT headset. Then it worked fine.

The problem turned out to be a microphone impedance issue on the Starcom1 cables. The Zumo was not sensing that an external microphone cable was plugged in and so it was leaving the internal microphone in the 660 enabled. No wonder there was a lot of background noise!! :huh:

The fix from Starcom1 is their updated MIC-02 cable. With that plugged in the Zumo will detect a microphone and shuts off the internal mike. Why they didn;t leave the mike in the car cradle like they originally had on the Zumo 550 is anyone's guess. Probably a new group of hardware design engineers.

Another good thread, and timely as I may have to buy another 550 :angry2: . I'll tell ya about it later.

Or with my lack of computer skill maybe I'll just get that etcho-sketch.
Don't give up on your Zumo 550 yet, Art. Maybe we can resurrect the old girl. Send me more details.

I have the 660 and its worked well for me for almost 2yrs. I try not to split hairs or worry about this GPS over that GPS. As long as it gets me where I need to go is all that matters to me. All the little minor differences in GPS models is mostly irrelevant to me. I don't even use the mp3 or bluetooth options on it. I've yet to ride with earbuds or listen to music and I love my music...I just ride and let my mind have a break.
Fully get that, Roller. Not everybody needs or wants all of the features that these fancy GPSes will provide. My point, and the reasoning behind even posting this, is if someone reading it actually has no GPS, or is considering upgrading an older GPS to one of these units, it may help them make a choice. Or not.

One of our friends here in the Northeast is making preparations to take a cross country tour and stop at NAFO in BC along the way. He has very limited GPS (or any other electronic equipment) experience and asked me which one he should buy. As you might imagine I counseled him to find a new Zumo 550 rather than the 660 since they are essentially the same price and the hardware advantages I showed above lean towards the 550 (He'll also be using a Starcom1 so no Bluetooth headsets). Other folks, given the exact same set of parameters and available features might decide the other way. As my Dad always used to tell me: "That is why they have horse races." ;)

I don't have, nor have I ever played with the 550. I have the 660. IMO it is junk. I am on my third one. Purchased the first one, sent it back to Garmin for repair, sent that one back to Garmin for repair. First one would not stay connected to my computer. Second one would squeel in my ear and would loose the location of the MP3 files on my micro SD card. Number 3 is glitchy. It too has lost the location of the MP3 files. I have to pop off the back, remove the battery and remove/reinsert the card. If I had it to do over again I would purchase the 550. As soon as there is a viable alternative to Garmin I am getting it.

https://thebestmotorcyclegps.com/ rates the 550 as the best GPS for 2011.

I have a four year old 450 that has been flawless. I don't know as much about these units as you guys do. I never use the music capability either, just listen to the wind! The good thing is this unit has taken me through western Canada and a lot of the US so for me it is fine. Over at the Zumo forum it's a lot of bitching, especially on the 600 series units. I feel lucky I have a good one!!

I am on my 2nd 665, and still having the problems I had with the first, and that is, if I am running my XM radio/weather/traffic and flipping screens, the unit will turn off about every 2 hrs or so. Also, it is a bitch to connect to the computer. I use 3 different laptops, and one desktop, all running Windows 7, and it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the computers to recognize the unit.

What I liked most about the 550 was the hard buttons, as the screen on the 665 starts getting grubby despite what type of glove I am wearing. Also, the 550 is a bit brighter, however, I do prefer the larger screen of the 665.

Despite the problems with the 665, I for some reason like the set up better, and feel more comfortable using it than the 550. I seem to be able to navigate better and faster with it, despite the lack of detail, etc. If I had to buy again, I think I'd still go with the 665. That's my $.02 worth. :unsure:

...I've yet to ride with earbuds or listen to music and I love my music...I just ride and let my mind have a break.
Wow...and I thought I was the only one. The one caveat I have is that I listened on the 18th and last day of my Kalifornia trip last year on the stretch of highway from Denver to Chicago. I actually did not put them in until Karl and I parted at the Mississsippi River.

Also, it is a bitch to connect to the computer. I use 3 different laptops, and one desktop, all running Windows 7, and it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the computers to recognize the unit.
Jay,

Here's what I figured out about the USB connection buggy-ness of the 66X Zumos:

If I just opened up the battery door and plugged in the USB cable, the GPS would sense the cable and start to boot itself up into "transfer mode". It backs up all of your saved favorites (waypoints) , routes and tracklogs to the "Current.gpx" file (that's what it's doing when the green bar scrolls across the screen) and then it connects to the PC via the USB. You hear the "Ba-bing" (new hardware connected) sound on the PC and then a few seconds later you hear "Bing-bong" (hardware disconnected ) sound.

When I somehow got really lucky, and the device didn't auto disconnect itself, I noticed that there was a second "Ba-bing" signalling that the MicroSD card had also connected to the PC. As an experiment I tried removing the battery and yanking out the MicroSD card, reinstalling the battery and then the unit would successfully connect every time!! Of course there was only one Ba-Bing.

Realizing that I have a whole shitload of MP3s and other stuff (topo maps, etc.) on my SD card, I theorized that the disconnection was due to the GPS not having completed indexing the SD card by the time it is trying to connect it to the PC.

What I have learned to do is to first turn on the Zumo 66X GPS and let it come fully up. Even after it appears ready to navigate you have to wait until all of your MP3 (and other) files have been indexed. You can tell it's done if you go into the media player and it lists your music as being available to play. Sometimes this can take several minutes after the Main screen shows up. Obnly then, after it is fully indexed, should you pop off the battery door and insert the USB cable. This has been a 100% successful technique for me.

Give it a try. Maybe it will work for you too?

I was going to update to the 665 last year but when I started investigating the 665 there were a lot of concerns with it as have been noted here in this thread in the FJR forum, as well as, many other places.

My Zumo 550 has been flawless since my purchase back in 2006. I use it in my car(s) on the bike and on my snowmobile in the winter time with all the trails in the midwest on it. Great stuff for sure!!

I'm still hard wired to the bike through an Autocom system and using in-ear monitors. I'm using bluetooth for my Blackberry and have a Starcom dongle hooked to the Automcom as a "head set" and it works great. (Thanks for the dongle Fred!)

I also have the XM antenna hooked up and it's nice for those long drooning freeway hikes.

I'm going to stick with the 550 awhile longer...

Also, it is a bitch to connect to the computer. I use 3 different laptops, and one desktop, all running Windows 7, and it takes 2 or 3 attempts to get the computers to recognize the unit.
Jay,

Here's what I figured out about the USB connection buggy-ness of the 66X Zumos:

If I just opened up the battery door and plugged in the USB cable, the GPS would sense the cable and start to boot itself up into "transfer mode". It backs up all of your saved favorites (waypoints) , routes and tracklogs to the "Current.gpx" file (that's what it's doing when the green bar scrolls across the screen) and then it connects to the PC via the USB. You hear the "Ba-bing" (new hardware connected) sound on the PC and then a few seconds later you hear "Bing-bong" (hardware disconnected ) sound.

When I somehow got really lucky, and the device didn't auto disconnect itself, I noticed that there was a second "Ba-bing" signalling that the MicroSD card had also connected to the PC. As an experiment I tried removing the battery and yanking out the MicroSD card, reinstalling the battery and then the unit would successfully connect every time!! Of course there was only one Ba-Bing.

Realizing that I have a whole shitload of MP3s and other stuff (topo maps, etc.) on my SD card, I theorized that the disconnection was due to the GPS not having completed indexing the SD card by the time it is trying to connect it to the PC.

What I have learned to do is to first turn on the Zumo 66X GPS and let it come fully up. Even after it appears ready to navigate you have to wait until all of your MP3 (and other) files have been indexed. You can tell it's done if you go into the media player and it lists your music as being available to play. Sometimes this can take several minutes after the Main screen shows up. Obnly then, after it is fully indexed, should you pop off the battery door and insert the USB cable. This has been a 100% successful technique for me.

Give it a try. Maybe it will work for you too?
Thanks for the tip. I am heading home for lunch, and will bring the Zumo back to office and try it. Let you know when I finish. Thanks.

This is not the first time I have heard about a lack of map details on the Zumo 66x series - that sucks after all a GPS is a flipping map first and foremost. :dribble:

I have owned a 550 for nearly 4 years and I will keep it until it croaks. It tried to croak last year but I bought a new touch screen on eBay and installed it myself. Easy even for a electro/mechanical challenged knot head like moi.

I have come to depend on the 550 to take me where I want to go and rarely have to worry about finding the next turn. :yahoo:

I wouldn't trade down to a 66x unless I had to. I concur with all the comparisons.... one can check the Zumo forums, but the mp3 limitation of the 550 can be overcome with creation of playlists, and you can end up with way more than the 1000 song limit. Haven't done it yet, but I'm about to.

Fred W, it worked! I let it fully boot up until the mp3s were indexed, and it connected on the 1st try! KEWL! :yahoo:
Excellent. Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the feedback.

I wouldn't trade down to a 66x unless I had to. I concur with all the comparisons.... one can check the Zumo forums, but the mp3 limitation of the 550 can be overcome with creation of playlists, and you can end up with way more than the 1000 song limit. Haven't done it yet, but I'm about to.
Yeah, it's still only 1000 MP3s, it's just that each MP3 can be a whole bunch of songs crammed together. Personally, I prefer to just swap the SD cards every 3-4 days rather than being stuck listening to the songs in the mega-playlist MP3s in the exact same order every time. That would drive me nuts.