Group ride radio communication equipment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Here's what I have:

TK-3101s.jpg

Details

It interfaces very well with Starcom or Autocom setups. Haven't been able to test it out with another bike yet but it came highly recommended. We use similar setups at work and they are very capable.

Maybe we can get something going so regional gatherings will have a few riders with com ability. That will make it much easier to communicate front to back and vice versa, allowing leaders and sweepers to better manage the herd (stops, delays, reroutes, etc...)

Does anybody know of a CB radio that will work with intercom setups, other than the J & M?

I was sorely disappointed this weekend to learn that no one had comm sets except me. You cannot imagine how much better the experience is for all involved when there's comm available.

At EOM we discovered that several people had GMRS radios of various brands. They all worked extremely well with my Chatterbox GMRS. I can comm with FRS or GMRS units, but no CBs.

I have an extra unit that someone could borrow for group rides, as long as they let me know in advance. It normally lives in my passenger helmet.

The addition of comm between myself and Scab, would have prevented him from going down. Whenever I'm leading, I try extra hard to convey info about road conditions, upcoming turns etc. to those behind me. Most say it really helps them manage the road and make their ride more enjoyable and less stressful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I have:
TK-3101s.jpg

Details

It interfaces very well with Starcom or Autocom setups. Haven't been able to test it out with another bike yet but it came highly recommended. We use similar setups at work and they are very capable.

Maybe we can get something going so regional gatherings will have a few riders with com ability. That will make it much easier to communicate front to back and vice versa, allowing leaders and sweepers to better manage the herd (stops, delays, reroutes, etc...)

Does anybody know of a CB radio that will work with intercom setups, other than the J & M?
There is a way to re-program the Kenwood TK-3101 for different frequencies. If a list could be compiled of the various frequencies of different com systems, I could setup your radio to have a single channel dedicated for each system.

There is a way to re-program the Kenwood TK-3101 for different frequencies. If a list could be compiled of the various frequencies of different com systems, I could setup your radio to have a single channel dedicated for each system.
I knew there was a reason this thing is the shit.
The addition of comm between myself and Scab, would have prevented him from going down.
So it's almost negligent not to have comm equipment.

That's certainly one way to put it. Comm equipment allows the leader, who is learning things that could benefit the entire group, to relay that info without having to use hand signals or look in his mirrors to obtain other riders' status.

I for one, am WAY too busy doing what I do best (and love so much) to have the time to hand signal in a twisty turn. I saw some guys at EOM who were much better at hand signaling than me. I know how and want to, but I am not going to distract my attention or risk losing my kharma to produce a hand signal.

I would love to organize some "comm required" rides at next EOM. You just have to contend with Iris who WILL NOT SHUT UP.

Merry Christmas Iris and Jim. You guys out there?

:)

I already have a brand new worthless to me chatterbox GMRS X1, :angry2: so I have the frequency list for this contraption. Others will have to post up the various brands. This list would make a worthy bin-o-facts article, since lots of riders here are setup for bike to bike.

The addition of comm between myself and Scab, would have prevented him from going down.
I agree. I've been using a Collett Communicator https://www.collettcommunicators.com/ for about 5 years, as they say, works great, lasts long time. They are 900 Mhz so no CB interface is available although the "International Channel" is included in all Colletts so they are all compatible. In the 5 years my riding buddy and I have been using them have only heard other Collett users a few times so they are not that many in number to be a problem. Great unit for the price, but are STILL not stereo for music input. The VOX works well up to triple digits and you can keep your eyes on the road and hands on the bars. My .02 worth.

I already have a brand new worthless to me chatterbox GMRS X1, :angry2: so I have the frequency list for this contraption. Others will have to post up the various brands. This list would make a worthy bin-o-facts article, since lots of riders here are setup for bike to bike.
On this one I'd do it, but would need somebody able to digest and distill the topic down after it's played out.

I'm on the CB side of things and went with a Cobra Handheld CB actually because I want to be able to listen to truckers spot Smokie, but to go CB you really would need to get into no-ground plane antennaes and stuff.

I, For one, Like my Chatterbox X1 and find it to work quite well in group rides with my sportbike friends. There will always be someone who hates this setup, But i like the setup alot.

Flame away! :headsetsmiley:

I'm on the CB side of things and went with a Cobra Handheld CB
So how do you plumb it into your helmet?
On this one I'd do it, but would need somebody able to digest and distill the topic down after it's played out.
I'll do it. We could post all the frequency info in this topic, then I'll compile all the pertinent info and PM it to you.

Here's what I have, been ready for a while but I don't know who else runs FRS in our group ?
8221985-2-200-0.gif

https://reviews.cnet.com/Kenwood_FreeTalk_F..._7-8221985.html
That's compatible with the Kenwood pictured in my first post, and a decent economical alternative.

Dangit all...now I gotta spend more money...I like leading and sweeping so I better get one!

This way I could yell, [SIZE=18pt]"STOP!!! Look at this bear!!!"[/SIZE]

Just kidding!

Dangit all...now I gotta spend more money... so I better get one!
Hmm -- thinking the same thing -- and I ws just getting ready to spring for a Starcom and the siring for two bikes so I can swap it to whichever one I'm on. Now TC's Kenwood is going on the list, too!!! :rolleyes:

By April, I suppose I'll have alll the necessary farkling, maintenance and upgrades done. Please don't let's make GPS mandatory, too -- can't afford all this shit. :eek:

Looks like my bike is good to go, it came stock with a communication system! ;)
You had better hurry and swap it onto the feejer, else you'll be out of range of everyone in your group pretty quick. :p

Looks like my bike is good to go, it came stock with a communication system! ;)
You had better hurry and swap it onto the feejer, else you'll be out of range of everyone in your group pretty quick. :p
The HUGE topcase, that stores a 1.5kw xmtr... no problem, you'll hear me. Of course I'll have no idea where YOU are! :) .. Besides, with all the talk of safe riding around here, you wouldn't exceed the 55mph speed limit, eh Mr. SkeeWee? Even the Hardley can run at 55... ;) Back to topic, CB's are much more commonly used out on the road. Travel with CB in all my trucks, and of course the HD came stock with one. Several years back I bought a hand held RS that actually works quite well. Of course it can only be used when stopped.