Great HURT report summary

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cdogman

Bad Boy
Reaction score
The HURT report is very long and hard to absorb. I found this summary done by

Kenneth S. Obenski, P.E.

This was easy to read and not to full of fluff for a guy like me that wants data. I also think alot of this info is outdated but it was a pretty good refresher

Clicky

I would like to see a more recent study on this. Anyone know of any other stuff like this (I am aware of the other thread but the HURT report was so different and detailed)

Great report. Thanks for sharing this! It was interesting to me that animal hits are only 1% of accidents. I know some people who have only been in an accident with an animal involved.

I did hear that the government had payed for another study to be done, as accident rates for motorcyclists had been on the increase for several years. I'm not sure if it is completed yet?

Great stuff in there, Even if it's 15 years old. It is good to share this info, Maybe we can remember some of this when we need to...

There have been a couple of studies, the most recent and pertinent for us is probably the Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study (MAIDS) of about 5 years ago. There's plenty of info that a Google search will turn up. Here's a link from last year's NTSB Motorcycle forum that summarizes Hurt, the MAIDS, study, one done in Thailand, and at the end is a timeline for the new NHTSA study.

https://www.ntsb.gov/Events/symp_motorcycle...inistration.pdf

Congress directed NHTSA to do a study and update what Hurt's group found. They are actually contracting some universities to do a lot of the work and the final report is scheduled for Feb08.

Bob

The Hurt report is a great report with a lot of questions which is why we need another report

to validate all that information. Some of the stats that are numbered that I found more interesting than others were,--- 1,14,26,27,32,37,39,41,45,46,48,51. The one that all male riders should pay attention to is 39, priceless.

weekend rider :D

There have been a couple of studies, the most recent and pertinent for us is probably the Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study (MAIDS) of about 5 years ago. There's plenty of info that a Google search will turn up. Here's a link from last year's NTSB Motorcycle forum that summarizes Hurt, the MAIDS, study, one done in Thailand, and at the end is a timeline for the new NHTSA study.
https://www.ntsb.gov/Events/symp_motorcycle...inistration.pdf

Congress directed NHTSA to do a study and update what Hurt's group found. They are actually contracting some universities to do a lot of the work and the final report is scheduled for Feb08.

Bob
From the article "Fueling the Fund", American Motorcyclist magazine, January 2007, pg. 20:

"Lawmakers even designated the group that will conduct the research: the Oklahoma Transportation Center, an independent and respected research center located at Oklahoma State University."

"Here's how the math works: the federal government has pledged $2.8 million to this project. And its requiring 50 percent matching funding from us. That means we need to raise $2.8 million of our own to get this study done."

The AMA is committing $100K and is asking companies in the industry to pledge money as well. Individual motorcyclists can give through the AMA.

There's also an address if you wish to donate other than through the AMA website.

Latest posts