Yet Another Helmet Lock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I had a bike (CB550K ?) that had an under seat hook to hold a helmet. It's always bugged me that my state of the art Yamaha doesn't provide a helmet lock solution when I don't have the bags on- which is about 75% of my riding. So I came up with my own:

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

The bracket is made from a piece of stainless steel hose clamp bent to fit as shown. I mounted it under the seat latch nut and put a drop of Loctite on the screw threads. Also put a little section of moleskin on the bracket to prevent any possible seat chafing. The seat pans keep the bracket closed when in use. Both seats are easily removed and installed in usual fashion. It looks flimsy, but is actually quite sturdy and easy to use.

Mission accomplished!

When I do need to lock two helmets(rarely) I pull out the Kryptonite lock from under the rear seat.

IMG_1421.jpg

Trick little hook!

I have resorted to using a small cable gun lock looped through the luggage rack when I park.

I hope that if someone sees the the Glock logo on the lock, they might think twice before fucking with the bike.

But I will have to look for some stainless steel to make a hook like yours!

nice !!!

I also use a gunlock from my Ruger 9 ,, I keep it in the fairing box n lock it to the grab rail,,I have a corbin/yamaha seat

If anyone is riding with a topbox or sidebags you already have a free helmet lock. Just close the lid with the loops inside and let it hang there. ;)

-very original...simple & effective; good job! I like Dr. E's idea as well....perhaps a bit of 'extra' deterrent with the Glock logo.....nah, I'm assuming most criminals can read!

I was a little dissastisfied with the flimsy appearance of my original helmet holder even though it worked just fine. I just came across some wider and thicker material and made up a new one. It is 3/4" wide and a hearty .032" thick. It works just as good as the original. I have enough material to make several of these. If anybody wants one, PM me. Price is $12. Includes shipping to anywhere is US.

helmetholderleft.jpg

helmetonnoseatleft.jpg

helmetlocked.jpg

I need to do something to be able to secure my helmet. I have the corbin canyon seat though so your trick set-up won't work (1 piece seat). Someone stole my HJC helmet off of my seat while I was in a gas station in Iowa last friday. I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade and bought a Shoei Syncrotec. Do any of you have any experience with the lock bar(?) that J & P sells that fastens to the mounting holes for your license plate bracket? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a pair of Barenders that work pretty well.

Barenders

It takes a little doing, but I can slip my jacket sleave over the bar first, before I lock the helmet on.

I made two aluminum brackets that bolt to each side of the bike and attached two Helmet Guardian lock assemblies. I was able to locate locks with the same style key and had them re-keyed to fit my ignition key. One key fits everything. Very easy install, very secure and looks stock with NO modifications to the bike. Works with and without bags, does not touch the mufflers. I sell them either alone or in a pair. Should anyone be interested please contact me direct at: [email protected] for pictures, price, etc.

I made two aluminum brackets that bolt to each side of the bike and attached two Helmet Guardian lock assemblies.  I was able to locate locks with the same style key and had them re-keyed to fit my ignition key.  One key fits everything. Very easy install, very secure and looks stock with NO modifications to the bike. Works with and without bags, does not touch the mufflers.  I sell them either alone or in a pair.  Should anyone be interested  please contact me direct at:  [email protected] for pictures, price, etc.
As some of the other Yosemite riders noticed, these are the Guardian helmet lock brackets you saw on the sides of my bike. I love them and I'm also thinking of getting one of the brackets that started this thread, just in case I ever need to haul an extra helmet without sacrificing bag space. That's the drawback to the locks I have now, not usable while in motion. It's all good! :D Either or both, it's better than what nothing, like the factory provided. :huh:

I bought FJReady's helmet clip and it works very well. Took less than a minute to install and it holds the helmet very securely.

Thanks Maddog for the positive feedback. One thing I forgot to mention here was that I will make holders of a specific length if you think you need it due to helmet strap length. I've had one buyer request a longer (higher) "U-Turn" point. Also, I've been including two moleskin patches (OK, more comments about animal cruelty) so you don't have to go find it. (its in the Dr Scholls area at the pharmacy)

PM for more info

FJReady

Broodwich, I find that attaching it to the seat offers the best protection. Originally I installed the moleskin on the metal strap but on version 2 I put it on the seat itself. The moleskin has a very strong adhesive on it. It is designed to stay stuck on your skin and stop skin abrasion from shoes, etc. There are probably hundreds of other products that would work in this application but I learned about this product on a FJR forum as a means of stopping seat/gas tank abrasion so I had it on hand. Working just fine so far..

FJReady

A few customers have opted for a longer helmet bracket.

FYI for measurement reference:

The one shown in the most recent photograph is between 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 inches long between the mounting surface and the 180 degree bend in the bracket. I call this the 'standard' length. When ordering adjust dimension as necessary to accomodate your helmet strap if needed.

What we need on this site is a section you can go to, to buy items made for the FJR by the site members.

If we all support each other, we'll do great. I surely appreciate when someone buys one of my horn harnesses, and I keep seeing all this dedicated work from other members on their own little niche.

Any ideas how we can do this? :search:

Low tech analog of FJReady's helmet lock: Use a nylon strap with a buckle instead of the metal "hook". Instead of bolting a metal hook onto the bar, just loop the strap around the bar, run the end through the helmlet D-ring, and adjust buckle so the helmet D-ring is just below the seat surface. Takes a few seconds longer to deploy than FJReady's clever hook, but there is basically no fabrication. There is nothing to chafe the seat other than the helmet D-ring because the strap drops out of the way when not in use and there is no metal sticking up between the seats. I had a backpack that had a strap with a buckle on the end that I never used, so I cut the strap off, heat-sealed the cut end, and used it. Sporting goods and camping departments sell all kinds of straps that would work. Lots of other variations on the theme are possible.

David,

Well, I guess I can be thankful to you for keeping the thread alive...

Actually the development of my holder started with a similar idea to yours. I tried using a nylon strap and buckle from my kids ski bag. It worked but it was cumbersome to use- required two hands and fumbling with the buckle because it tended to rest down under the cross bar. I concluded that if the helmet holder were not exceedingly simple to use it would have no additional value than the keyed bicycle lock I already have under my seat. The beauty of the metal helmet holder is that it is right where you need it already. Easy cheesy. Really.

Sold quite a few, all good comments coming back.

Russ