Kenwood flat blade antenna for your Autocom..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
After installing my autocom I wanted a way to leave my radio under the seat. Autocom sell the same flat blade type antenna for $89.95. Mr. Wizard found out who made the antennas for them. The problem with there antenna is the coax is only 36" long and it cost $89.95. The antenna is made by Radian-Larson, but they wont sell to the public. A very nice lady there gave me the phone # and a contact. His name is Harvey, at National Electronics in Lenexa KS. He orders every two week from Larson (they have minimum order $). I ask if he mind if I gave his name and phone number out... he said sure. You can order this type antenna with any length coax. The coax is small and will be easy to hide. The antenna is about 3/4" wide and 10" long and very flexible. I plan on putting it on the inside of my windscreen for max. talk range. You will aso need there adapter to connect it to your Kenwood 3101FRS/GMRS radio. The best thing is this antenna is only.....$26.87, and the adapter is $2.97. Here the info. Smitty

National Electronics (ask for Harvey)

Lenexa KS.

800-762-5049

Part numbers below...

SB450FME12 Antenna with 12' of coax $26.87

FSF Antenna adapter $ 2.97

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Smitty, explain all that connector BS you learned getting your BS in connectors. I understand that all antennas are not the same, and that handhelds with "whips" can have different gender?

Hey Smitty, explain all that connector BS you learned getting your BS in connectors. I understand that all antennas are not the same, and that handhelds with "whips" can have different gender?

Not sure if there is room for all that. I would say I made at least 10 phone calls, and spent 2 hours on the phone. Kenwood was no help at all, several radio shops had the deer in the "PHID" look. If it wasn't for the nice lady at Larson I would still be looking... Smitty

Smitty; Any info on how well the antenae compares to a standard remote whip aerial. Is there any adjustment for the frequencies range, ie SWR

How you run a test yet to see how the range compares to an unmolested TK3101 original whip antenna? We lay ours down in tank bags so we figure our range is badly compromised.

How you run a test yet to see how the range compares to an unmolested TK3101 original whip antenna? We lay ours down in tank bags so we figure our range is badly compromised.
I just PM'ed Smitty to get his impression of this antenna and will post his response.

I also wanted to bring this post back up so everyone on our ride with a TK3101 has a chance to grab the info.

Guys, I've been trying to undestand why folks are buying Kenwood and some other units that are costing $150 and up each, which have less features than a whole bunch of other radios sold in pairs for usually under $80, with many more features? All of them are line of site radios with position of the antenna being critical. I've owned some pretty fancy Kenwood HAM radios and they are top of the line, but these GMRS/FRS radios aren't bleeding edge stuff. Even if you get the latest Midland model (which sells for about $80 for a pair with rechargeable batteries and charger) and puts out a claimed 5 watts for a claimed distance of 15 miles, you'll be lucky to use it for much more than a mile. If you are worrying about distance, the best thing to do is use the standard antenna and clip the unit on your back or anywhere it is high and unobstructed. Also, if that tape antenna and lead in cable aren't already impedance matched, you are starting to get into areas that you really don't want to go.

Guys, I've been trying to undestand why folks are buying Kenwood and some other units that are costing $150 and up each, which have less features than a whole bunch of other radios sold in pairs for usually under $80, with many more features? All of them are line of site radios with position of the antenna being critical. I've owned some pretty fancy Kenwood HAM radios and they are top of the line, but these GMRS/FRS radios aren't bleeding edge stuff. Even if you get the latest Midland model (which sells for about $80 for a pair with rechargeable batteries and charger) and puts out a claimed 5 watts for a claimed distance of 15 miles, you'll be lucky to use it for much more than a mile. If you are worrying about distance, the best thing to do is use the standard antenna and clip the unit on your back or anywhere it is high and unobstructed. Also, if that tape antenna and lead in cable aren't already impedance matched, you are starting to get into areas that you really don't want to go.

:thumbsupsmiley: :thumbsupsmiley:

Well said. My $49/pr Midlands worked out to approx 5 miles away with no fancy antenna. If you're going to go through all that trouble, might as well go CB. I use both, side by side. The Autocom plug works in either Midland CB or the GMRS radio.

I went with the kenwood radio because. I think it is a good quality unit made for industrial use not a homeowner toy like alot of the radios avalible. It does not need any extra features when used with Autocom because it controls the radio. My radio is under the seat so therefore the extra antenna is neccessary to get good reception. My radio is powered and controled ny the Autocom unit With this setup you power radio from bike and batteries are not needed. I think for long term reliability under harsh conditions the kenwood is the way to go.

I am using this flat blade antenna and can say it works good. This past week I rode with Smitty and his Bro Darrell and all of are radios worked flawless. We all have the Kenwood.

The Kenwoods can be had used on eBay for about $80. They seem to come up all the time. Although I have bubble pack backups (5 watt rechargeable Cobra LI6000-2 from Walmart) and run a 5 watt Rino 530, a Kenwood under the seat with a remote blade antenna has to be awefully sweet. Those 'Woodies seem to be pretty darn near indestructible. And my radios cannot have a remote antenna. Both types of my radios do work very well on VOX with the Autocomm.

Smitty can't come to the cumpuker right now. He's making up with his wife for all the days he's been away from home. :blink: :huh: :lol:

I went with the kenwood radio because. I think it is a good quality unit made for industrial use not a homeowner toy like alot of the radios avalible. It does not need any extra features when used with Autocom because it controls the radio. My radio is under the seat so therefore the extra antenna is neccessary to get good reception. My radio is powered and controled ny the Autocom unit With this setup you power radio from bike and batteries are not needed. I think for long term reliability under harsh conditions the kenwood is the way to go.I am using this flat blade antenna and can say it works good. This past week I rode with Smitty and his Bro Darrell and all of are radios worked flawless. We all have the Kenwood.
Just an FYI, those homeowner toys are not only pretty tough radios but have more power and more features than the Kenwoods. Not sure what control you are talking about on the Autocom, because all any of them have is VOX. Also, having been a military commications officer, milspec radios don't really impress me much. Also, the reason why those toys don't have removeable antennae is because either FRS or GMRS requirements state that you can't mess with the antenna, so technically the use of that antenna may be illegal, but the whole GMRS business is kinda a game anyhow because most people never get the license anyhow. I don't worry about it because I have an FCC Commercial Radiotelephone License and just say I was field testing the radio.