Avg Miles per gallon vs. season, temperature

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avg. Warm MPG (71-90 degrees F)

• Below 30 mpg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 31-35

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36-40

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • 41-45

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • 45+

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
Saw the discussion on dips in MPG during winter and thought a survey might help. Also realize that a more complex survey is needed to track geographical region vs. mpg to get a better handle on gas formulas & their differences in terms of MPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I have seen as high as 49mpg, my wrist usually voids that option.

In most Northern states the MPG will be lower in the winter for one reason....Ethonal. Some states require that increased levels of ethenol be used to reduce the emissions during colder weather.

Saw the discussion on dips in MPG during winter and thought a survey might help. Also realize that a more complex survey is needed to track geographical region vs. mpg to get a better handle on gas formulas & their differences in terms of MPG.
I have taken trips out of california and noticed when I use non(CARB) gas my milage jumps 10% on both my cars , truck, and my fjr1300,venture 1200 my NX650 Honda. There is a difference in fuels period!

I noticed a big difference last fall. I have been keeping pretty accurate records (same pump, same type, etc)..even keep a spreadsheet since new! Went from consistent 41 in summer to about 33 in the cool Oct, Nov rides. Of course, some of those mornings were below 25f. Definite difference up here in northern MN. Should be interesting to see how Mar, Apr. pan out...

Haven't track by temperature, but I am surprised by the significant drop reported above. I have been getting about 37-38 mpg pretty consistently across a range of 50-90 degrees.

I'm usually getting close too 36 mpg, but run twisties in 2/3 gear about half the time too. Other time is california freeway which is either 90mph or stop and go!

Where's the Wabs option? Nifty-fifty (four)! :grin: It's not the temp that varies my usage, rather it's the shit they pour into the mix in the winter. That and elevation... Temp? No effect, IMO.

I am getting great mileage this winter. I am on the same tank of gas that I filled up with November :rolleyes: . But really, during the summer my gas milage does not very much, guess I need to ride the bike harder.

Where's the Wabs option? Nifty-fifty (four)! :grin: It's not the temp that varies my usage, rather it's the shit they pour into the mix in the winter. That and elevation... Temp? No effect, IMO.
Yep, the California Air Resources Board approved fuel for motor vehicle on-highway use (Gasohol: up to 10% Ethanol).

I'm sure glad I bought my FJR for the ride, the fun and the grin factor instead of gas mileage. Otherwise I s'pose I'd be driving a Burgman. :unsure:

Need one more category...

Avg. Miles Per Gallon In Warm Temps (65-85F)

&

Triple-digit Speeds

Start at 30 and go down!

:)

Won't accept my vote :angry2: - best (converted to US measurements) 47 mpg, worst 33mpg (mainly a track day - loved accelerating past the MV F4 1000 down the straight :yahoo: ) average 39.6. All in temps 70 to 90 F - don't often get below 70F in this part of Australia.

Just did a 420 mile ride in 44 to 48c (111F to 118F) got usual 39 mpg @ 75 - 85 mph

I completed a 1075 mile day yesterday here in TX and my numbers broke down as follows:

1075 miles (odometer)

24.188 total gallons

$91.65 total fuel spent

$3.79 average per gallon

44.44 mpg average

Temperature ranged from 48F to 80F with no noted variation as the day warmed.

I took my time, with a moving time of 16.73 hours for an average moving speed of 64.25mph. This was by far some of the best fuel mileage over time that I've had on my 05 FJR. Slowing down helped. I'm usually between 37 and 42mpg average depending on speed and terrain. My speeding ticket last month helped influence my speed :hypocritesmiley:

I consistently run between 46 to 53 MPG year round. Live in California and doesn't seem to vary in trips out of state and in Canada. I run an 04 and have tracked miles per gal since about 1500 miles.

Longrider