Vstrom hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow2lrn

Reaction score
My local Suzuki dealer has the 650 Vstrom hand guards in stock with hardware for 45.00 + tax of course. I need to know if anybody has used these instead of the 1000 Vstrom handguards + ifso are there any adjustments to the instalation instructions in the articles on the fjr tech website??

Bill

Go to FJRGoodies.com and ask for the 'kit' to install V-Strom handguards on your FJR. They will send what you need including all hardware at a good price. I don't know if they are from a Wee or a V, but they fit well and do the job.

Does the Suzuki handguards and hardware from your dealer include everything to adapt them to an FJR? Or is it a kit to install them on a strom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the 650 handguards. No problems. I have an '05. There will be some modification though. The 650 handguards were designed for a clutch cable and therefore have a tab extension that has to be ground off on the left. (disk sander made short and clean work of it.) And of course, they both require adjusting for the FJR bar end size. (but this is also true for the 1000 grips) (dremel rules)

edit: And when you install, visually guage from the bottom of the guards and not the top. The right one will not 'sit' down against the lever housing. The bolt that comes with the guard will look funny and appear not to have enough threads, but install as-is and the guard will be even with the left.

I installed the 650 handguards. No problems. I have an '05. There will be some modification though. The 650 handguards were designed for a clutch cable and therefore have a tab extension that has to be ground off on the left. (disk sander made short and clean work of it.) And of course, they both require adjusting for the FJR bar end size. (but this is also true for the 1000 grips) (dremel rules)
edit: And when you install, visually guage from the bottom of the guards and not the top. The right one will not 'sit' down against the lever housing. The bolt that comes with the guard will look funny and appear not to have enough threads, but install as-is and the guard will be even with the left.
Thanks for the info, I looked at the 1000 Vstrom handguards on the bike and at the 650 kit out of the box and their didn't apperar to be that much difference... So I will try it then.

Thanks again,Bill

Go to FJRGoodies.com and ask for the 'kit' to install V-Strom handguards on your FJR. They will send what you need including all hardware at a good price. I don't know if they are from a Wee or a V, but they fit well and do the job.
Does the Suzuki handguards and hardware from your dealer include everything to adapt them to an FJR? Or is it a kit to install them on a strom?

It is for a strom...and I will check the FJRGoodies web site,thanks for the info

Bill

Can I get FJR hand guards for my WabsStrom? What model number? Thanks!

:grin:
No, but I have some mittens with the little string that'll go through your sleeves so they don't get lost, that you can borrow.

Can anyone tell me if the V-strom handguard farkle fits the 2007 manual shift FJR?
Slardy
the 1000 vstrom guards fit with minimal modification, just need to open up the end part that snugs on in between the clip-on and bar ends. you may also want to add some washers between the throttle end and the bar end, to ensure no friction between hand guard and throttle.

hth

I just ordered some strom handguards from fjrgoodies spoke to Glen - nice guy - $55 for everything to FJR handguards version...it is getting cold in TX down in the 50s in the a.m. brrrrrrr :rolleyes:

I just got and installed the kit from FJRGoodies last weekend. It had everything but a few extra washers. As I understand it, the guards from the 650 do not have the barend clips. FJRGoodies sells the guards from a 1000 which has the wrap-around clips that attach to the barends shown in the second photo. Modifications to the guards involved moving the barends out a bit to fit the guard clips and taking off a bit of the guard plastic on the left side for clutch lever switch arm clearance. Washers can be used to move the barends. A dremel and a sanding drum made quick work of providing the needed clearance. On my first trip to work (55 mi RT) it started out at about 31° - a bit chilly. Overall the guards worked well, except, they weren't low enough to keep my fingertips out of the air flow, so they got cold. I guess it's time to "Farkle the Farkle" so I went down to the shop and got a bit of .080 aluminum sheet and bent up some guard extenders. After checking proper fitment, I powdercoated them and used (3) M4 screws per side to attach them. Here's the final install on the clutch side:

P1000099.jpg

P1000100.jpg

They were much warmer on yesterday's commute. I doubt you'd ever need electric gloves with these. PM me if you want a set with screws; $25 delivered.

I just got and installed the kit from FJRGoodies last weekend. It had everything but a few extra washers. As I understand it, the guards from the 650 do not have the barend clips. FJRGoodies sells the guards from a 1000 which has the wrap-around clips that attach to the barends shown in the second photo.

I've scoured the FJRGoodies site, and can't find them. My wife doesn't frequent the site, so I'll admit it...I'm a little dense. Could you help me out w/ a link?

Thanks

Perhaps they have changed? Does your wabs have a clutch cable?
Yep. But, I just searched over to vstrom.info... Seems that there are/were three distinct sets for the Strom. Seems the difference was the notch and boot for the Wee. Early 1000 guards did not have the bar end mounting point or so it seems. Oddly, when I got my Wabs, the part was not listed as available, but my parts dude found them. Now, if you look under the '08 1000 list, the guards are not to be found.

Crazy, wacky...

Yep. But, I just searched over to vstrom.info... Seems that there are/were three distinct sets for the Strom. Seems the difference was the notch and boot for the Wee. Early 1000 guards did not have the bar end mounting point or so it seems. Oddly, when I got my Wabs, the part was not listed as available, but my parts dude found them. Now, if you look under the '08 1000 list, the guards are not to be found.
Crazy, wacky...
Maybe Suzi got a little upset about all the cross-polination? Maybe they couldn't reconcile themselves to selling more accessories than bikes?